Help '04 Limited ***** gas!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2010 I moved in with my then fiance. Shortly there after we determined my '88 S-10 needed to be put down. We've been sharing the jeep since. One thing I notice is it really ***** gas! I had an '02 renegade version, and I don't remember it sucking as much gas down!

Before I moved in, my now wife and her father shared the jeep. But as he became more and more sick (eventually passed away from cancer), maintenance wasn't kept up. So far I've changed the air filter. Replaced the plugs (triple checked the gap, didn't use any gimmicky multi-pronged plugs), Did a really good oil changed, even used motor flush to get all the extra gunk out. Then flushed the fuel system with some Sea Foam.

But the darn thing still seems to be drink gas like it's nothing. According to the on board computer we're getting something like 14.5 mpgs. And it always seems like we're running low on gas. Save for the resent issues out in California, we here in Chicago-land usually pay .50 or more above the national average gas price.

To compound matters, we're preparing to move. And I don't mean around the corner either. So we've been looking at houses in more rural area's, many of which are 100 miles or more away. I really need to do something about my mileage!

FYI... While I there's no check engine light, and I have had the guys at autozone test it for me. Everything seems fine. Yet, I can feel it idling heavy when at a stop as well.

Sidebar...

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S III. My very first smart phone! I remember watching the auto "power block" shows on Spike tv station. And they showed an iphone app that allowed users see and control their vehicles on board computer. Specifically one feature allowed the user to choose between city, highway, towing, and 4x4 modes. Can anyone recommend or even comment on which obd 2 adapters and which apps are best?

Thanks,

Jax

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If maintenance wasn't kept up how long has it been since the fluids were changed/ even looked at
like trans/front and rear diffs/transfer case etc
tire pressure/ alignment
Plus you now have winter gas blends that make mileage go to the devil
I just drove over 250 miles home a few hours ago with strong headwinds etc and only managed 19.8 , most times 20.5-21 easy

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An average for combined city and highway driving in the 17MPG range is a good average.

Yours seems a little low, but like the other guys have said, check all the maintenance items.

Tires pressure will make a BIG difference if not correct, as well as fluids (transmission, transffer case, and differentials).

Check the air filter, and make sure your using the proper grade of oil. 5w-30 is whats called for...I use 5w-30 Amsoil synthetic and it help my mileage a lil bit.

Check your plugs....i change mine every 40,000, that is a bit excessive, but results in the best mileage.

As for the adapter for you phone..there are lots out there, but I know exactly what you talking about, and there is no smart phne ap that will let you change the way the vehicle runs...it will let you monitor all that is going on, much like a scan tool. All those adapters really are are OBD II bluetooth adapters that trasmit the data to an app on your phone where you can see all the engine data.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure where you are in the western burbs, but we do all the general maintenance on my KJ here in Elgin, and help some other KJ owners in the area with theirs also. If you'd like a hand with yours, let me know, send me a PM or something. Would be happy to help you out with it.

I agree with the posters above... all of the general maintenance items play into better fuel economy. So if you haven't changed gear oil in the diffs, or ****** fluids, etc., it would be worthwhile to do so. That, and the winter blend fuel really does suck this time of the year. I always lose 2-3+ mpgs in the winter months. :disgust: