Hello from God's Country...NE Tennessee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Way2appy

Reaction score
I'm the proud owner of a blue '04 with about 111K on her. I've had her for almost 3 years and I've decided to spruce her up a bit and want to use her not only as my daily driver, but also to haul some toys around (Jet skis and/or small travel trailer). Just got my free(thanks recall) receiver hitch, and the warning that came with it (This is not a tow device but a safety precaution, you NEED a transmission oil cooler which is part of the approved towing package)...anyway, I'm not against installing an oil cooler, but is it really needed??? Also, does anyone have any thoughts on these performance improvement "chips"??? can they give the 3.7 a little "uumph" and improve mileage as well??? Thanks a Jeep...I mean Heap!!!

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Yes, a ****** cooler is very important in towing. Heat is the enemy of your transmission and towing puts extra strain on it, increasing heat.

Avoid the chips. Waste of money.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Avoid chips until you do your own research and with that extra cooler you will also want a mechanical fan if you are towing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you should have a trans cooler BUT I have towed from Ohio to Boston and back, Ohio to Orlando and back and haul either my 5X8 open trailer or 6 X 10 enclosed at least once or more a month with no issues. Keep the OD off and buzz along.
Chips , wouldn't spend my money on them really marginal gains if any