Hello from a first time Jeep owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I belong to a few other forums, so when I purchsed a Jeep, I thought I could learn a lot about it, and how to get the most from it by joining a forum.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Deviations

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

There's a lot of "good stuff" on here.

Tell us about what you want to do to your jeep and put your jeep info in your sig so it's easier to get good info that way.

Dave

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome!

First step: Worship ThunderbirdJunkie
Second step: Lift it, put big nasty mud tires on it
Third step: SNORKEL!

L

lil black liberty

Welcome!

First step: Worship ThunderbirdJunkie
Second step: Lift it, put big nasty mud tires on it
Third step: SNORKEL!

Lol TBJ You would... Nice to see another Jeeper on the forums... Don't mind TBJ he has Snorkel Fever! :D:p;)

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
No, he's just SNORKELICIOUS.

It cannot be explained. The snorkel has an overpowering...

power.

Ask JL Rockies and his sentiments will resonate with ThunderbirdJunkie's.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 2004 black renegade that seems to be very stock. It's in outstanding condition other than a little rust in the driver side rock rail. It does have one aftermarket component that I can't quite figure - There is a 2 1/2 inch black rectangular box with some kind of four inch antenna sticking out of it that's glued to the windshield above and behind the rear view mirror. The wiring very neatly disappears into the upholstery at the top of the window. ???

I bought the little beast because I have a boat to tow, ski hills to get to (with skis), windsurfing to do (with boards, sails, masts, etc) and camping to do. I've never done any off roading like most of you serious Jeep owners, but I'm kind of looking forward to getting it muddy.

As far as future mods: I'd like new rock rails/running boards, maybe some more updated wheels - even though the stock five spoke aluminums are not too terrible, I want to swap out the current front seats that have leather panels with some full leather heated seats, and I want a hard shell case for the spare.

Down the road, I want to play with the 3.7. From what I've read on the threads so far, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of great options, so I'll have to think that one through. Turbo would be outstanding.

I love this thing more every single time I turn the key. The only thing I don't like so far is watching the gas gage tick down like the second hand of my watch.

05Sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 2004 black renegade that seems to be very stock. It's in outstanding condition other than a little rust in the driver side rock rail. It does have one aftermarket component that I can't quite figure - There is a 2 1/2 inch black rectangular box with some kind of four inch antenna sticking out of it that's glued to the windshield above and behind the rear view mirror. The wiring very neatly disappears into the upholstery at the top of the window. ???

I bought the little beast because I have a boat to tow, ski hills to get to (with skis), windsurfing to do (with boards, sails, masts, etc) and camping to do. I've never done any off roading like most of you serious Jeep owners, but I'm kind of looking forward to getting it muddy.

As far as future mods: I'd like new rock rails/running boards, maybe some more updated wheels - even though the stock five spoke aluminums are not too terrible, I want to swap out the current front seats that have leather panels with some full leather heated seats, and I want a hard shell case for the spare.

Down the road, I want to play with the 3.7. From what I've read on the threads so far, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of great options, so I'll have to think that one through. Turbo would be outstanding.

I love this thing more every single time I turn the key. The only thing I don't like so far is watching the gas gage tick down like the second hand of my watch.

Remote starter I would say. My wifes Bravada has one of those. I am so getting one before winter. Oh and by the way welcome!!

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it's possible to get a new remote for that? That would be awesome. It's one upgrade that I hadn't posted, but would very much like.

The rene will be indoors in a floor heated garage, but it would be nice to start it at work right before I leave. I'll be parking it right outside my office window.

05Sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one on my wifes truck is from some joint in minnetonka or hopkins. its really awesome. it will even start at a set temperature if it gets that cold. i believe it is the astrostart model now that my brain kicked in. lol

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to bring it to an aftermarket shop and let them poke around. I don't know what I'd be looking for or where to look for it. The receiver doesn't have any markings on it.

05Sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to look for is a plunger type switch just inside the hood. It kills the engine if someone were to open the hood while running.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a remote start. I opened up the area under the dash and it was tucked in nice and tight. It didn't have a logo, but using the model numbers, I was able to determine it was an Audiovox.

I bought a new remote key fob off Ebay, but then ran into trouble.

First, what came from m $30 ebay purchase was a brand new full unit with all wiring, manuals, etc. That was nice.

However, the fob wouldn't sync when I tried to learn it to the installed unit.

I unplugged the original unit and plugged in the new unit from Ebay. When I tried to learn the fob, it connected to everything but the Tach sensor.

The locks work, but the error code clearly tells me that it's not seeing the tach and thus won't engage the starter. I tried hunting around the12volt.com but no luck. I guess I'm going to have to go to a shop and see if I can deal with it that way. I'm pretty solid with mechanical, but electricity and I don't get along.