Hello all...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Honu and though my wife and I have had our Liberty since 2001 (2002 model), we just found out about this forum. It's been a great little vehicle, providing us with reliable use since new.

I'm hoping to learn more about this little cruiser and to, perhaps, add bits of my own experience.

Thanks for having us...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy the forum.

Dave

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

BUT we need some pictures and some specs! It's kinda required.

Well, we have a 2002 Limited, (gasp!) 2WD with the 3.7 motor. It's essentially stock with the exception of the wheels and tires, which are 18"x8" Magnum R/T's, wrapped in 255/60-18 Goodyears.

We purchased the 2WD verison to tow behind the motorhome... little did we know it would be far more expensive to mod this one than just gettin' the 4x4 to begin with. Stupid us...

I've been wondering about the feasability of converting to 4x4, it appears, at least to my untrained eye, to be a bolt in. I'm sure I find out soon enough... lol.

Anyway, here's what our Peep Jeep looks like for now...

You must be registered for see images

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of street jeeps, but that looks pretty cool. Those rims look rad on the KJ.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of street jeeps, but that looks pretty cool. Those rims look rad on the KJ.

I know... a 2WD seems like the antithesis of a Jeep. My wife wanted a small SUV and the Liberty was the only vehicle that fit the bill at the time.

Hopefully, if the conversion is practical, I can be playing in the dirt soon.

I like the wheels on it and I assume that there are much more appropriate tires available when and if the conversion in completed...

talleybird_kk

Reaction score
Well, we have a 2002 Limited, (gasp!) 2WD with the 3.7 motor. It's essentially stock with the exception of the wheels and tires, which are 18"x8" Magnum R/T's, wrapped in 255/60-18 Goodyears.

We purchased the 2WD verison to tow behind the motorhome... little did we know it would be far more expensive to mod this one than just gettin' the 4x4 to begin with. Stupid us...

I've been wondering about the feasability of converting to 4x4, it appears, at least to my untrained eye, to be a bolt in. I'm sure I find out soon enough... lol.

Anyway, here's what our Peep Jeep looks like for now...

You must be registered for see images

Love the wheels! Welcome!!!

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those wheels from a Nitro or a Charger?
That thing looks SLICK with those wheels on it.

They're off my other toy, an '07 Magnum R/T...

You must be registered for see images attach

The bolt pattern is a match, with a slightly wider off set. The tires currently mounted are 255/60-18's, so they're a little shorter overall than the stock 235/75-16's. I'm going to be replacing the tires soon, though I don't know what size to get at this point.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those rims look nice, are they on with an adapter or direct fit? More pictures please.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slick looking KJ Honu. You might find it less expensive to just go out and purchase a 4x4 than to try to covert yours.

Welcome to the forum dude.

Ian

Midgear

Reaction score
that is the most awesome set of wheels i've ever seen on a KJ.. I like the Magnum too.. I was actually considering purchasing one after I get my Liberty paid off. the KJ isn't much on road performance.. and if I get a street machine, I want utility.. not a tiny ass two seater that'll get run smooth over by anything bigger than an F250.

How do you like the Magnum R/T ?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good and i like the magnum too!!
Also to go play in the mud get yourself a rear locker a good set of tires and front hooks a hitch some skids and you'll be good to go!! :D
Oh and a lift wouldn't hurt at all ;)
2WD with the locker and good tires should get you out there to play with the 4WDs.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slick looking KJ Honu. You might find it less expensive to just go out and purchase a 4x4 than to try to covert yours.

Welcome to the forum dude.

Ian

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and advice... I realize now how short sighted we were when we bought the 2WD. I'd been concerned about the weight of a towed vehicle behind our motorhome and thought the added pounds of the 4x4 option, something we didn't anticipate using much, would've been a waste. DUH!

The input here has been unanimous, it's a cost prohibitive conversion. My wife will only give up her little "Peep Jeep" if I pry her dead, cold fingers from the steering wheel... lol. I guess I'll be in the market for another Liberty, one I can really do some mods on.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
You can do mods on the 2wd...look at LTT KJs..look at mine(well i aint lifted yet). Dont let the 4x4 drivers play with your head!