hella 500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akilgore23

Reaction score
hi im another new one, i was thinking of adding the hella model 500 to a 2004 limited. Im not too expirenced in wiring anything but can anyone tell me if the directions are pretty easy to use or am i digging myself into a deep hole :-k ....sorry so long.... and if anyone has any pics on the switch it comes with installed.Thanks

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The directions should be pretty easy to follow but if you have any questions just ask. I haven't used an in-line switch on mine but it wouldn't be that hard to do it. Click here for a thread over on L.O.S.T. which may answer some of your questions.

akilgore23

Reaction score
damn

thanks for the wiring now im having a problem w/ the bumper. i drilled the holes for the lights but i cant fit my hand under there and tighten the bolt and im having trouble taking off the bumper. how did u install the lights?

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was quick and sloppy, but should suffice. I am not familiar with the 04 Front Fascia at all. This is just what I took out of the Service Manual. Someone posted how to remove the front grille elsewhere, but I will dig that out of the Service Manual later, too, if I get time and you have not found it yet.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

akilgore23

Reaction score
please heeeelllppp

im almost done hooking up the hella lights #-o it says in the directions to hook it up to my high beams even if i use the switch it comes with. is there a way to hook it up without the high beams and just to the switch???

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a switched power source... Hook it into your DRL fuse in the driver's side fuxe box since you won't have those, unless you want to be able to turn them on when the car is not in ACC or on.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked mine into the parking lights. I just ran a wire from the front of the jeep(park light) and back to the switch. That wire supplies power to the relay(isnt much at all) so you dont need to worry about overloading that fuse. O:)

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: hella

akilgore23 said:
what wire did u tap into on the parking lights?
Should be a black wire with a yellow stripe. Just remember that using driving lights without you high beams *may* be illegal and a cop could pull you over.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Corwyyn said:
akilgore23 said:
Should be a black wire with a yellow stripe. Just remember that using driving lights without you high beams *may* be illegal and a cop could pull you over.
Isn't it the other way around?Cause with factory fogs will turn off when you switch to high beams even with the switch on.That's about the only way I can tell if some of these cars don't have there high beams on,look for the fog lights(if they have them),if the fogs are on they are on lpw beam.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tjkj2002 said:
Corwyyn said:
akilgore23 said:
Isn't it the other way around?Cause with factory fogs will turn off when you switch to high beams even with the switch on.That's about the only way I can tell if some of these cars don't have there high beams on,look for the fog lights(if they have them),if the fogs are on they are on lpw beam.
No, in some states they require the driving lights to only come on with the high beams; specifically for NM:
66-3-827. Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps. <- (link to section)
Any lighted auxiliary driving lamp shall be turned off at least five hundred feet from approaching motor vehicles.
Which is a standard requirement for high-beams. Thats why I just ran the relay sense wire directly to the high-beam wire on the headlight, that way I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn them off...

akilgore23

Reaction score
hella

i am having such a hard time w/ these f!@#ing lights ive hooked everything up both ways it gave me in the directions and still no lights. in the instructions it says to run my leads which i did RED/Battery, TWO BLACK/negitave on lights and runs as one conection into the relay,TWO BLUE/conected to the bulbs and both run as one into the relay,YELLOW/runs straight to the switch, and GREEN/ goes from the switch to the high beams. ive tried to hook the green to the parking light and the high beam and nothing. is there some thing im missing ](*,)

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, after reading your post and looking at the diagram I posted in the thread on L.O.S.T. I may have discovered something wrong. You say you have the two black wires connected to the relay (at the same terminal) which is correct, but you also say you have the two BLUE wires connected to the relay and that is not right. The diagram shows the blue wires going to ground; there is a blue wire coming off the relay but it also goes to ground. You can attach them all to the same ground point if the wires are long enough but don't attach them all to the relay. Try this version of the diagram and see if it's what you have:
You must be registered for see images attach

akilgore23

Reaction score
hell

ok so i tested just the lights by hooking them up directly to the battery and they work but when everything else is hooked up no lights....does this mean bad relay???