Heater not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeRecruit84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've had this problem for a long time now. I just had the head gasket changed so the whole system was flushed and my heat still does not work. Where can I begin with this? Is changing the heater core hard? It's cold and I have no heat.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guessing your heat gauge is coming up to normal operating temps? If so, next step would be a simple check (grab hold of em) of the heater hoses going into firewall. If both are hot, water is circulating through heater core properly and a door inside the heater isn't opening/closing properly. Likely due to a vacuum leak.

If a large difference in hose temps, or both cool, then you could have a restricted heater core. Not that likely unless someone's allowed coolant system to become pond sludge.

Also, other than mild curiosity as to why it's so cold where you're at, couldn't give a flying fornication where your located.:happy175:

Bob

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the heater core is a pain. it's not that difficult, just a lot of nuts, bolts and screws. There's just alot that has to come apart to get to it. I had the same problem. I replaced the thermostat ,heater core,made sure the blend doors worked properly, and numerous other things before finding the water pump was bad. Replaced it now I have heat. Not that this means your water pump is bad, but just letting you know how tough it can be to get it diagnosed. Make sure you put HOAT coolant back in as well.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ HEAT coolant=spelling error HOAT coolant back in.
If you have just flushed, possibly you have trapped air? Top rad hose has bleed screw.
When you filled did you run with reservoir cap off for a while, then put cap on?
In the morning after it is cold, is the Hoat coolant at the cold line?

RenegadeRecruit84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant is good all around. Also the water pump was replaced as well. I'm guessing that when doing the head gasket they had to flush the entire system.

Curious as to why jeep switched to HOAT coolant? My water pump has a metal impellar now, so if thats the reason I don't see why it would matter.

I do know this, I know the AC is pouring freon out onto the ground onto the passenger side O2 sensor then onto the ground. I know it's freon because it's bright green. I have no idea where it's coming from. I also don't know why it's doing it. Right now we can't figure where it's coming from I'm going to take a look again.

I have this strong intuision that the blend door is not working properly. I'm trying to sell this thing right now so I can leave the place I'm at to move onto bigger and better things. Hopefully get back to the states.

It's also cold where I am at because winter is approaching.....it gets cold here.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Coolant is good all around. Also the water pump was replaced as well. I'm guessing that when doing the head gasket they had to flush the entire system.

Curious as to why jeep switched to HOAT coolant? My water pump has a metal impellar now, so if thats the reason I don't see why it would matter.

I do know this, I know the AC is pouring freon out onto the ground onto the passenger side O2 sensor then onto the ground. I know it's freon because it's bright green. I have no idea where it's coming from. I also don't know why it's doing it. Right now we can't figure where it's coming from I'm going to take a look again.

I have this strong intuision that the blend door is not working properly. I'm trying to sell this thing right now so I can leave the place I'm at to move onto bigger and better things. Hopefully get back to the states.

It's also cold where I am at because winter is approaching.....it gets cold here.
With a steel block & aluminum cyl heads, Jeep chose Hoat for it's Ph, anti corrosion properties and longevity. The water pumps w/plastic impellers don't like regular coolants either.
What color is your current coolant they installed? Green?
The blend door could be preventing the heat, vacuum actuator or stuck door.
Can you hear anything move back in there when you switch modes?