Headliner Center Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still need it I could take one down and get a picture of the hole and back of the light fixture tomorrow.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. That'll be great Mark. Thanks!
Especially whatever clip is holding it up.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you are. The tabs on either long end hold the light fixture into the headliner. Notice the notch for the clear plastic tab? When pry out the lens (to change the bulb) the lens hinges down and the clear tab then releases that end of the housing and you then slide the housing towards the driver side to release the whole thing.

Attachments

• DSCN2777.jpg
    DSCN2777.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2779.jpg
    DSCN2779.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN2780.jpg
    DSCN2780.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 20

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to get some measurements to give you a start but the cardboard test fit seems like the safest approach. (Sorry, noticed I had flipped the rule over to the tenths of an inch side) Trust me, it was humorous leaning in from outside and trying not to topple inside while both hands were busy holding the ruler and the camera up at once!

Attachments

• DSCN2795.jpg
    DSCN2795.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN2796.jpg
    DSCN2796.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN2797.jpg
    DSCN2797.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark!! Dang that appears to be one thick headliner !
How do you cut into that without removing it?
This light appears different than what was posted in post #20
I wonder if it is the same one as the rear or a bit different?
Are the wires from the connector running to the front or rear?

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark!! Dang that appears to be one thick headliner !
How do you cut into that without removing it?
This light appears different than what was posted in post #20
I wonder if it is the same one as the rear or a bit different?
Are the wires from the connector running to the front or rear?

The wires are def running straight back to the rear gate light. It is identical to the rear light (in my case). If it were me I would first find the light (wrecking yard) then make it work on the cardboard mock-up. Then transfer the cardboard cutout to the headliner with a pencil. Start your cut with a razor knife and then follow the pencil line with a hacksaw blade. I grind the end so that the teeth go all the way to the top. Then round it off slightly so you don't gouge anything or body. Then grind off the other end so it's 6 or 7 inches long and wrap the bottom 4 inches or so with electrical tape to make a comfortable handle. Gutsier people might shorten a saber-saw blade and do it but you need to make sure of the saw stroke so you don't dent the roof.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics.

from one of the pics it looks like the wiring's running towards the rear.

probably a really sharp knife might work but maybe a dremel tool with a cutting wheel might make a quick job out of it after using a knife to cut through the headliner cloth.

The picture that I posted up could be for the cargo dome light and might be different.

Mark: are both the passenger and cargo dome lights the same where you push on, on one side instead of the center of the clear plastic?

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics.

from one of the pics it looks like the wiring's running towards the rear.

probably a really sharp knife might work but maybe a dremel tool with a cutting wheel might make a quick job out of it after using a knife to cut through the headliner cloth.

The picture that I posted up could be for the cargo dome light and might be different.

Mark: are both the passenger and cargo dome lights the same where you push on, on one side instead of the center of the clear plastic?

Yes there is a indentation on the passenger side of the clear lens where you are supposed to push. The backseat light and the rear gate light are identical. That diagram you just posted looks like the right one.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also post #27 clearly shows the spot where you push to turn it on. Look at pic #1 (far left)

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like they made some changes.
I'm pretty sure my cargo dome light is center push on/off.

Definitely have to find the same type as yours in order to work.

Looking at the 2005 part fische, interestingly they have two different part numbers for the cargo and rear dome lights and price difference as well.

Rear-5JG58BD1AD $30.78
Cargo - 1BC77BD1AA $23.34

Last edited:

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok your post made me curious. I took both lights completely out. BOTH lights have both the numbers that you listed molded into them:
The Rear-5JG58BD1AD number on one end and the Cargo - 1BC77BD1AA number on the other end. They are identical inside and out and look like they came out of the same mold. The only difference I see is with the part number on the switch in each one. The rear gate light switch is #47170400B and the cargo/seat light switch is #40075525C. Everything else is the same EXCEPT for the wiring colors. The plug on the rear gate light (looking from the back of the plug) is left to right OR/RED/BLK-White tracer. The plug on the cargo/seat light is BLK-White tracer/YEL-Green tracer/RED. The wires from the cargo/seat light go rearwards but I cannot see where they attach to the rear gate light. The wiring seems to be glued to the headliner so you cannot pull them and make them move. I would examine the wire diagram on my rig (2005) and it should show you exactly where it all comes together. They even show wire bundle and junction locations.