Head Scratcher...Advice Needed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z00KA

Reaction score
I have a '04 Manual 4WD KJ with 102K miles, and I've come to a dilemma...

I need to replace the clutch; the power driver and passenger front windows need repair (not the actuators, but the white "tube" containing the screw drive has snapped); and my A/C is rattling (probably a bearing). She's also gonna need some new tires.

So there she sits in my driveway and I'm wondering..."Do I to throw any more money at her, or do I just want to sell her out-right?" We really don't need this vehicle so there is my dilemma.

So...how much for a rebuilt clutch - out the door?

I'm sure I can find a fix (duct tape) for the white tubes that have separated.

A/C rattle...bearing? How much to fix?

Kelley-Blue Book is estimating a selling price of $6265 (fair condition).

Thanks for all who reply...I just need some opinions.

Joe in Kansas

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the clutch your looking at some $$$ since you can not resurface the flywheel,looking at $300-$500 for parts alone.A new AC compressor is needed,adds some other parts as well required when you chnage it and a shop is the best place to have this done unless you have the required tools to do automotive AC work,looking at about $700-$1000 for the AC.Just replace the regulators,about $130 each.

With all the work needed you better be lowering that price as it's barely in the "poor condition" catagory with a possible $2500 in repairs needed not including the tires.So let's say a even $3000 with the tires needed to get it back into the "fair" catagory so you'd have to lower the price to around $2500-$3000 or fix it and sell for the $6000.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Keep it....it'll be worth it. It'll keep running for a long time...

simond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KEep it...

for trail use or whatever...don't need a ac... Just fix the windo and clutch!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO
if you dont need it then sell it and cut your losses
private sale
$5000 OBO
sold as is if they by it needing work then after all is said and paper work signed
it is their problem
even if they go to get in it in the parking lot where the papers were signed and it will not start it is their problem not yours

welcome to America ,freedom to screw people if you so desire

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO
private sale
$5000 OBO
sold as is if they by it needing work then after all is said and paper work signed
it is their problem
even if they go to get in it in the parking lot where the papers were signed and it will not start it is their problem not yours

And why this country has gone shit,poeple like you screwing over others for profit.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
France, Australia, Switzerland, Germany, New Zealand and Luxembourg are ranked higher then the United States (based on these measurements - cost of living, leisure & culture, economy, environment , freedom, health, infrastructure, risk & safety and climate). The US is a good country but you cannot claim the best. I always thought freedom and the constitution were what made the US great... Guess I must have missed the capitalists meeting... You berate the US with what you have said.

What you are supporting is the rich get richer and poor get poorer. That sort of think and way of life cannot last forever.

P.S. Geography Teacher

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
France, Australia, Switzerland, Germany, New Zealand and Luxembourg are ranked higher then the United States (based on these measurements - cost of living, leisure & culture, economy, environment , freedom, health, infrastructure, risk & safety and climate). The US is a good country but you cannot claim the best. I always thought freedom and the constitution were what made the US great... Guess I must have missed the capitalists meeting... You berate the US with what you have said.

What you are supporting is the rich get richer and poor get poorer. That sort of think and way of life cannot last forever.

P.S. Geography Teacher

I dont plan to live forever
need to make it another 50-60 years then
worm food

P.S. some one who lives for the here and now

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

P.S. Geography Teacher

And what J-Thompson said...
That doesn't happen here in Canada?

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never said it didn't. I just dislike profiteering. I don't agree with the idea of screwing someone over to make money.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO
private sale
$5000 OBO
it is their problem

At least have the decency to trade it in at a garage where they should know what is wrong with most of it. If they miss something, they should know better and it will be up to them to replace it under warranty when the next owner picks up on it rather than sell it to a poor unsuspecting soul who will possibly turn up on this forum in a couple of months with a load of problems feeling p*ssed off with his new Jeep. Trade it in at the garage and you can rest easy in your bed with a clean conscience and everyone wins. How would you feel if you bought one that someone had done exactly what our "esteemed" friend suggests? Treat others as you would like to be treated. Just my 2 pence worth. Or cents worth? Hehe. :smokin:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least have the decency to trade it in at a garage where they should know what is wrong with most of it. If they miss something, they should know better and it will be up to them to replace it under warranty when the next owner picks up on it rather than sell it to a poor unsuspecting soul who will possibly turn up on this forum in a couple of months with a load of problems feeling p*ssed off with his new Jeep. Trade it in at the garage and you can rest easy in your bed with a clean conscience and everyone wins. How would you feel if you bought one that someone had done exactly what our "esteemed" friend suggests? Treat others as you would like to be treated. Just my 2 pence worth. Or cents worth? Hehe. :smokin:

I did buy a used Jeep with a bad transmission
I knew this going in ,confirmed by my mechanic
I also knew it was still under warranty and that dealer would replace
at no cost to me ,3/36 warranty
so like I said buyer be aware
this means it is not as much up to me to tell them what they are buying
but for them to know
and for that matter what would you do if you disclosed all this info
then found out that the fix was simple and easy and they turned around and doubled their money?
or what if you disclose the problems then they buy it and the engine locks up on their way home will you loose sleep over that? you did not know
but neither did they?

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol just give it up. We are here for members and jeeps after all. Arguing online is pointless. It seems more people will post in a topic when people are arguing or trying to get their point across then post in topics where people need help or information.

How about we move on...

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
lol just give it up. We are here for members and jeeps after all. Arguing online is pointless. It seems more people will post in a topic when people are arguing or trying to get their point across then post in topics where people need help or information.

How about me move on...

So on that note...

Keep your KJ!
Less expensive than buying another vehicle.
All vehicles will need replacement parts eventually!

smithran

Reaction score
Hi Joe,
I have 1 dumb question, what makes to think that the clutch is bad ? Low pedal, lack of engagement / disengagement, grinding into reverse ? I have an 05 3.7 with 6spd OD 120k. I had 1-2 inch's of pedal and it got worse when hot. Clutch master and slave with a kit from Clutch City about $180 and 2-3 hours of frustration. No $800 clutch needed.

Z00KA

Reaction score
Hi Joe,
I have 1 dumb question, what makes to think that the clutch is bad ? Low pedal, lack of engagement / disengagement, grinding into reverse ? I have an 05 3.7 with 6spd OD 120k. I had 1-2 inch's of pedal and it got worse when hot. Clutch master and slave with a kit from Clutch City about $180 and 2-3 hours of frustration. No $800 clutch needed.

There's plenty of travel when depressing the clutch, it just won't go into gear most of the time. I did a test; not pushing in the clutch and trying to shift produces EXACTLY the same results as when I push in the clutch, which leads me to believe I need to have the clutch rebuilt.

Open to suggestions or comments.

Joe

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '04 Manual 4WD KJ with 102K miles, and I've come to a dilemma...

I need to replace the clutch; the power driver and passenger front windows need repair (not the actuators, but the white "tube" containing the screw drive has snapped); and my A/C is rattling (probably a bearing). She's also gonna need some new tires.

So there she sits in my driveway and I'm wondering..."Do I to throw any more money at her, or do I just want to sell her out-right?" We really don't need this vehicle so there is my dilemma.

So...how much for a rebuilt clutch - out the door?

I'm sure I can find a fix (duct tape) for the white tubes that have separated.

A/C rattle...bearing? How much to fix?

Kelley-Blue Book is estimating a selling price of $6265 (fair condition).

Thanks for all who reply...I just need some opinions.

Joe in Kansas

The bold part is the important part. I take it the KJ is a spare vehicle. So it boils down to how much you want it or not since you said you don't need it. Do you want it enough to do the repairs or not. You need to answer this question.

As far as the money goes, if it needs 3K worth of work and it is worth 3K in it's current condition but fixed it would be worth 6K you won't lose your 3K if you fix it because you can get it back in the value. (just talking rough numbers here from the thread)

Just some thoughts.

Dave

Z00KA

Reaction score
I've decided to "pull-the-pin" and buy myself a clutch kit and with the help of a friend who has every tool and is dying to get his hands dirty; we're gonna do it ourselves.

I've been asking around (dealership and a local car mechanic), and both have quoted me between $500 and $700 for the job. As you can imagine, the labor is more than half of the total cost...(4 hours = $350). Via the internet, I can purchase a clutch kit for between $100 to $300 and all come with everything I need, to include the alignment tool.

I have the "shop manual" on my computer and will print off the necessary pages for the job and my friends says we ought to be able to knock it out over a weekend.

Any comments or suggestions on this endeavor or a preferred clutch kit source?

Thanks again for all the comments so far.

Joe

Latest posts

Members online