head gasket- fix or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03Sport

Reaction score
Looks like I may have a bad head gasket. My 03 Sport has 185 K on it, and I admittedly have not been great with maintenance. So the question is, is it worth spending the money on getting the gasket/s fixed, or am I better off just cutting my losses? It's been a good vehicle so far, but I'm inclined not to spend the money. Just interested in opinions...

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's definitely worth fixing, regardless of if you decide to sell it or keep it. If you get rid of the jeep as is, you wont get much for it. Maybe $1,500-2,000. Fixed and running properly you could easily get twice that.

Parts to do a head gasket job really aren't that expensive (as long as you didn't trash the heads), it's the labor that makes the job so expensive. And doing the work yourself really isn't all that difficult - just time consuming. And since you're going to get rid of it anyway - what's the harm trying to tackle it yourself?

The real question however, is what caused your HG to fail? Sometimes it's a minor problem, like you ran out of coolant. Sometimes it's a major problem. I'd try to track down the cause of the failure before you spent any money on anything. Also, make sure you check for warping and cracks. Not sure if heads in the KJ's are aluminum or not - if they are, they can easily warp. Also have known of blocks that have cracked and/or needed machine work, but those are extreme cases. Just be aware...

I helped a buddy replace head gaskets on a '97 Ranger V6 (basically the same process) and it was really wasn't all that difficult, and you only need basic hand tools. Took us about 6 hours, and that included time to chase parts and tools down, and to figure out what we were doing (did it without a manual - I don't recommend it, lol).

Last edited:

03Sport

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, tlrtucker- actually found out today that it looks like it was just sludgy coolant clogging up the thermostat. After I did a "quick flush" and refilled it with water, I haven't had it overheat again. Just testing it out for a couple days, and then I'll go back in with one more flush (I've also replaced the thermostat..) and a good fill of proper coolant.

All this started because I am actually moving back to Denver in a couple weeks and wanted to see if the ol Jeep was up to the drive from Dallas. Now that I'm pretty sure the head gaskets are fine, I'm a bit more optimistic that it will make the trip..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.