HD engine cooling for '07 Latitude

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxzoran

Reaction score
Hey all, great forum! We just bought an '07 Latitude last saturday and love our little Jeep. It didn't come with the towing package so I am looking to install it myself. I know the hitch and harness aren't too difficult, but what about the HD cooling? I will be towing a 10 foot tent trailer that weighs 1600lbs. To give a generous figure I'm going to say 2500lbs loaded. So my questions are A) is the heavy duty engine cooling hard to install? B) Do I even need it? and C) do I need a transmissin cooler as well? thanks!

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me myself, I wouldn't even worry about the heavy duty cooling. My 05 does not have the heavy duty cooling, and I have no problems, even in the 3000 to 4000 lb range in hilly areas. You may want to consider a brake controller, but I don't know if your trailer is equiped or not. As for the trans cooler, since the 05's have them, I am sure your 07 is already equipped. Just look out on the front of your radiator for the smaller version of a radiator.

You should be pretty good to go as far as towing. Hitch is easy to install, the wiring isn't too bad, just follow as it says on the included directions and should be all set. The whole job might have taken about an hour or so for me.

Good luck and enjoy.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, you shouldnt need HD cooling with anything under 3k lbs. But, it is a really good back up to have. If the electric fan quits, you still have the engine driven fan to cool it. O:)

You should still have brakes on the trailer though. O:)

maxzoran

Reaction score
the trailer doesn't have brakes on it. Now we live in texas so would the cooling be a good idea with these hot texas summers?

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah I would still believe that your OK. I haven't seen my temp gage move ever when pulling a trailer. I don't normally pull less then 3000 lbs too often, so I still think your OK. If you want it as a backup like jeepster said, its going to cost a good bit of money probably to have added.

I have never been to Texas, is it pretty flat there? I wouldn't worry too much about the brakes on the trailer, most older trailers didn't come with them, but just don't try any real abrupt stops with a trailer on the back.

Good luck.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its fairly flat, and you wont be pulling it really slow up a steep grade, you should be fine.

I believe Jparts.com has it for under $300. I will say its good insurance.

O:)

maxzoran

Reaction score
It's extremely flat here. I think I may just put the hitch on and go somewhere fairly close to guage it. This summer I may put the HD cooling on though, just to be safe. Thanks for the info guys!