HD Cooling setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bob you are giving me ideas... This is gonna cost me huh haha

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

MJ's 03 KJ

Reaction score
Radiator question.

I need a new radiator (leaking from top of end tank) for my 2003 Liberty Renegade. I bought it new with the trailer tow package. This package also gave me the transmission and oil cooler.

I've been trying to find a direct fit replacement rad (either with plastic or steel end tanks) but I need confirmation on which rad has provisions for the ****** and oil coolers. Not even the dealer can confirm.

Can anyone help or give me a link so I can get a new rad that accommodates the factory ****** and oil coolers? Much appreciated.

Thanks!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radiator question.

I need a new radiator (leaking from top of end tank) for my 2003 Liberty Renegade. I bought it new with the trailer tow package. This package also gave me the transmission and oil cooler.

I've been trying to find a direct fit replacement rad (either with plastic or steel end tanks) but I need confirmation on which rad has provisions for the ****** and oil coolers. Not even the dealer can confirm.

Can anyone help or give me a link so I can get a new rad that accommodates the factory ****** and oil coolers? Much appreciated.

Thanks!

Have the parts department at the dealership order one from an '02 as well as an '03 (they can return the one you don't want - no big deal.) I can't say if the '02 will have the clips in the front of the rad for the external trans cooler but it will definitely have the in-rad trans cooler. Conversely, the one for an '03 WILL have the front clips but may or may not have the in-rad cooler.

I purchased a Spectra Premium radiator for my '03 about 2 1/2 years ago and it came with the clips and the in-rad cooler. It's lasted so far but many suggest you just go with OEM. I've seen other aftermarket radiators that come with both the clips and the in-rad cooler - I'm sure because the manufacturers don't want to stock multiple part numbers for the same engine/vehicle. If you don't use the in-rad cooler you just leave the plugs in the fittings.

Hope this helps...

Bob

MJ's 03 KJ

Reaction score
Have the parts department at the dealership order one from an '02 as well as an '03 (they can return the one you don't want - no big deal.) I can't say if the '02 will have the clips in the front of the rad for the external trans cooler but it will definitely have the in-rad trans cooler. Conversely, the one for an '03 WILL have the front clips but may or may not have the in-rad cooler.

I purchased a Spectra Premium radiator for my '03 about 2 1/2 years ago and it came with the clips and the in-rad cooler. It's lasted so far but many suggest you just go with OEM. I've seen other aftermarket radiators that come with both the clips and the in-rad cooler - I'm sure because the manufacturers don't want to stock multiple part numbers for the same engine/vehicle. If you don't use the in-rad cooler you just leave the plugs in the fittings.

Hope this helps...

Bob

Bob, yes this helps...thanks for the idea. Only problem is my dealer wants payment prior to ordering. Also, do you know of any aftermarket rads with the steel end tanks that also accommodate the ****** and oil coolers?

thanks again!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bob, yes this helps...thanks for the idea. Only problem is my dealer wants payment prior to ordering. Also, do you know of any aftermarket rads with the steel end tanks that also accommodate the ****** and oil coolers?

thanks again!

Well, you could still order both - and just have them refund the money for the radiator you don't keep. Unless they have one of those lovely "restocking charge" policies :icon_evil:

I don't know of any production aftermarket rads at all for the KJ. There are companies that will make them but BIG dollars. Unfortunately we're stuck with plastic side tanks - at least until I hit the lottery...

Bob

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok any tips on how to get the shroud off Bob? I got it stuck on the fan clutch which I'm trying to replace but couldn't really get at since the shroud was in the way but couldn't get that off because the clutch was in the way.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok any tips on how to get the shroud off Bob? I got it stuck on the fan clutch which I'm trying to replace but couldn't really get at since the shroud was in the way but couldn't get that off because the clutch was in the way.

One way to make it easier to get the fan clutch off - and the fan shroud off too - is trim the bottom of the fan shroud so it can be lifted out of the engine bay with the mechanical fan/clutch still in place. Not much needs to be trimmed - maybe half an inch - and just wide enough to clear the edges of the fan blades. I switch back and forth from the HD shroud/mechanical fan and the standard fan - HD fan in warm weather, standard fan in the winter.

Once the shroud is out of the way you can go one of two directions. Either the "correct" way using a spanner wrench with the appropriate pins to hold the pulley, and a large crescent wrench or 36mm open end wrench. The spanner prevents the pulley from moving when you "pop" the 36mm nut on the nose of the pulley. Hard to find a spanner wrench that fits the pulley, though one can be fabricated using a bar, two pieces of flat steel and small bolts for the pins.

The other "wrong" way is to use the large crescent wrench or 36mm wrench and a 3/8" diameter bolt. Put the bolt through one of the holes in the pulley so it engages a fin on the water pump. Pop the nut with the wrench and then unscrew the clutch.

I put anti-seize on the pulley nose so that I can use the crescent wrench to pop the clutch nut with little effort and without using the bolt method above. The counterclockwise rotation of the engine tightens the clutch nut when it's installed but the anti-seize makes sure it doesn't get stuck on the pulley.

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump for the question for Blue and look what I found!!

FAN KIT. Cooling Heavy Duty. Fan Kit - Engine. JEEP LIBERTY (2002 - 2007) # 82206937

I really hope they have some...

Nice find!! :waytogo:

A bit more expensive than the kit I put together (mainly due to the fan clutch - $102 :Insane: ) but it's all there. From the looks of it you can order individual pieces - for example, the shroud, electric fan, assorted nuts and bolts - and then buy the nylon fan from moparonlineparts.com for about $55 and a Hayden clutch from SummitRacing.com or O'Reilly's Auto Parts for about $50, which is half of what is charged in the kit. Should be able to get the total price down to about $240 or so.

Go for it, Tim!

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind haha. I sent them a email confirming it before I order anything.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One way to make it easier to get the fan clutch off - and the fan shroud off too - is trim the bottom of the fan shroud so it can be lifted out of the engine bay with the mechanical fan/clutch still in place. Not much needs to be trimmed - maybe half an inch - and just wide enough to clear the edges of the fan blades. I switch back and forth from the HD shroud/mechanical fan and the standard fan - HD fan in warm weather, standard fan in the winter.

Once the shroud is out of the way you can go one of two directions. Either the "correct" way using a spanner wrench with the appropriate pins to hold the pulley, and a large crescent wrench or 36mm open end wrench. The spanner prevents the pulley from moving when you "pop" the 36mm nut on the nose of the pulley. Hard to find a spanner wrench that fits the pulley, though one can be fabricated using a bar, two pieces of flat steel and small bolts for the pins.

The other "wrong" way is to use the large crescent wrench or 36mm wrench and a 3/8" diameter bolt. Put the bolt through one of the holes in the pulley so it engages a fin on the water pump. Pop the nut with the wrench and then unscrew the clutch.

I put anti-seize on the pulley nose so that I can use the crescent wrench to pop the clutch nut with little effort and without using the bolt method above. The counterclockwise rotation of the engine tightens the clutch nut when it's installed but the anti-seize makes sure it doesn't get stuck on the pulley.

Bob

Thank you so much for that i was losing my mind earlier! I actually borrowed the fan clutch tool from work so im good on that part. Time
To do it after work saturday or on sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice find!! :waytogo:

A bit more expensive than the kit I put together (mainly due to the fan clutch - $102 :Insane: ) but it's all there. From the looks of it you can order individual pieces - for example, the shroud, electric fan, assorted nuts and bolts - and then buy the nylon fan from moparonlineparts.com for about $55 and a Hayden clutch from SummitRacing.com or O'Reilly's Auto Parts for about $50, which is half of what is charged in the kit. Should be able to get the total price down to about $240 or so.

Go for it, Tim!

Bob

I took a look into buying things separate. They charge much more than for just the kit!! Would be like 450 without doing the kit and thats without the clutch!