HD Cooling Fans Installed - Finally...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Really? Since I cut the bottom of the shroud I can pull mine out in 60 seconds. Learned how to quick since I can only get my oil filter that way.

Can you get the belt on/off with the fan still there (shroud removed)? That's the main thing. I can slip the belt off and let it dangle on the shaft if I'm replacing a pulley or something, but I don't see being to take the belt off and putting it back on with the fan in place.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. with the shroud off and the clutch fan still on.
Belt can come off.

Even with the shroud on but tricky.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you get the belt on/off with the fan still there (shroud removed)? That's the main thing. I can slip the belt off and let it dangle on the shaft if I'm replacing a pulley or something, but I don't see being to take the belt off and putting it back on with the fan in place.

Shroud removed yes but you have to take it completely off all pulleys. Comes down to will it fit over the nylon fan.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I screw around with the belts and other stuff on the front of the engine frequently and just take out the HD shroud. The mechanical fan is in the way somewhat but not enough to create a problem.

When the A/C clutch bit the dust I had to swap the serpentine belt for a shorter one to bypass the compressor. Took the shroud off in the parking lot of an AutoZone, swapped the new belt on and was away to customer visits in less than an hour. That includes time to buy the belt.

That little notch saves a ton of grief and agony :waytogo:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does the notch seem to have an impact on cooling? I would think it was designed with that shape for a reason but what do I know lol.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a huge notch. Like 1" deep by 7 or 8 inches. Doesn't seem to affect anything

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have a mechanical fan installed and my AC is awesome in all traffic! I think because my AC was fully serviced! So some might need an AC service. A mechanical fan should not be better than an electric fan. If anything I might put in a better electric fan system & shroud.

IMO: mechanical fan must be a nightmare to do service to the front of the engine ....just like in the 70's & 80's

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have a mechanical fan installed and my AC is awesome in all traffic! I think because my AC was fully serviced! So some might need an AC service. A mechanical fan should not be better than an electric fan. If anything I might put in a better electric fan system & shroud.

IMO: mechanical fan must be a nightmare to do service to the front of the engine ....just like in the 70's & 80's

Nah, pops right off. A little bit of anti-seize on the water pump threads and it pops right off with a large crescent wrench. With the notch in the HD shroud the whole system can be removed in 5 minutes.

And you're right about the mechanical fan - it is secondary to the electric but it does add more flow across the radiator, AC unit and trans cooler. Every little bit helps on those hot, humid days.

Bob

jamesbarnes808

Reaction score
So after embarrassing myself earlier this summer by ordering the wrong HD shroud and fan (was for a WJ) I assembled all the appropriate parts and got it installed today. Total time: 30 minutes

The parts:
  • HD Shroud and electric fan
  • HD mechanical nylon fan
  • Hayden Severe Duty viscous fan clutch

Pulled the original standard duty electric fan.
You must be registered for see images

The hole between the radiator and the engine.

The Hayden clutch bolted to the Mopar nylon fan and the HD shroud/electric fan assembly.

To install the HD shroud/electric fan assembly you must put the mechanical fan inside the shroud, slide the shroud in front of the rad, and then screw the clutch onto the water pump before tightening the shroud to the radiator assembly and attaching the electrical connectors.

Installed - overhead view.

Driver's side view.

A quick video of engine running after install.

And for those wondering what the plumbing looks like to connect the in-rad transmission cooler to the standalone cooler in front of the rad - here ya go:

Should help keep the ****** cooler while towing the boat and when wheeling - plus keep the A/C happy on 95 degree summer days.

Bob
appreciate this post is 11 years old, but is there any chance of reposting the images? thanks for your help,

jamesbarnes808

Reaction score
What are you needing? I have some photos around here somewhere...
What and where the additional cooling fan is located for the Towing Pack. I want to add it to our '06 2.8 CRD,
any links to the parts would be appreciated as well. thank you for your help,

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What and where the additional cooling fan is located for the Towing Pack. I want to add it to our '06 2.8 CRD,
any links to the parts would be appreciated as well. thank you for your help,
The CRD has the big engine driven fan, I believe the later ones had a front mounted electric fan too. I have 2 CRDs but neither of them have the electric fan but even towing my 1.6T caravan in summer with the ac going I haven't seen the gauge go above 1/2.
If you have any issues check the viscous coupling is still driving the fan, new ones are available after 17 years it may be passed its best.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the CRD's are different than the 3.7.

I could be completely wrong, but I thought all CRD's in the states (I see youre in the UK) got the electric fan AND mechanical fan.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Yeah, the CRD's are different than the 3.7.

I could be completely wrong, but I thought all CRD's in the states (I see youre in the UK) got the electric fan AND mechanical fan.
My US '05 2.8 CRD came with tow package and both fans.

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 2.5 CRD and 04 2.8 CRD both have Jeep fitted tow packs and only the engine fan. I'm in the UK too.

Members online

No members online now.