HD cooling fan- To Be, Or Not To Be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ascender

Reaction score
Looks like this might open a can of worms, but I gotta know, and I gotta know FAST: Is upgrading to the mechanical HD cooling fan worth it, and are there any surprises I should know about? I'm going from THIS OLD THREAD for the moment.

It appears to me the only difference in the fans are the shroud, electric fan mount, and the actual mechanical fan and clutch itself. Is there a different controller or relay that I need? I have an 04 Sport 3.7L that is driven daily and on the trail.

Also, anybody got anything bad to say about Dorman fan motors? Or a source for the actual MOPAR part that doesn't cost twice as much?

While I'm at it, I found a Chinese place called Winner Racing that makes and all-aluminum dual-core radiator for the 02-07 3.7L KJ. Anybody got one, or have experience with their products in another vehicle?

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll comment since you referenced the thread I started on this whole process...

As I mentioned further on in the thread, the transmission shop believes the dual cooler setup is beneficial to the ******'s life - anything that keeps the ATF+4 below 175 degrees is a major benefit. Since that thread was posted I've had the trans flushed and serviced again and the fluid was in great shape. My trans has about 130,000 miles on it and it feels great when it shifts - no slipping, as strong as when it was installed.

One other benefit has been more efficient air conditioning. With the standard cooling my A/C would get warmer when the KJ was at a stoplight or in stop-and-go traffic. Now it's cool all the time - it could be the old standard cooling fan was on it's way out but the combo of the mechanical fan and electric keep me comfortable on the hottest days.

I believe the HD electric fan is a different fan than the standard cooling fan - the pins in the connector will be the exact same as the standard fan but the blade configuration and means of mounting to the shroud I'm pretty sure are different. As far as sourcing one the link in the original thread to the eBay seller I bought my shroud and fan from is still good and the price is the same. I didn't click on the RockAuto.com link but they're probably still available from them (don't forget the 5% discount to JeepKJ members.)

There's no special relay needed or other mods to do the HD cooling upgrade. It's literally a 30 minute project that to me was the best dollar-for-dollar improvement I've made to my KJ.

Go for it! :waytogo:

Bob

Last edited:

Ascender

Reaction score
Alright, TwoBobs, I pulled the trigger. Dorman electric fan/shroud, Hayden clutch, MOPAR blade assembly. The part# they gave in that link you posted only came back as the shroud itself, so they may have changed something.

What part of northern Ohio do you hail from? I'm down in Pataskala, near Columbus.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, TwoBobs, I pulled the trigger. Dorman electric fan/shroud, Hayden clutch, MOPAR blade assembly. The part# they gave in that link you posted only came back as the shroud itself, so they may have changed something.

What part of northern Ohio do you hail from? I'm down in Pataskala, near Columbus.

Did you mean this shroud & fan assembly? That's the entire assembly with the shroud, fan, motor, wire harness, etc. It's been great to me so far - just under 4 years ;)

I know right where you are - I have friends in Pataskala! I'm in Hartville - take 70 to 77 then northeast of the Pro Football Hall of Fame about 15 miles ;)

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have both fans but my A/C is still not as cool when stationary.
Doesn't work that well down here.
x.x

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the HD electric fan is a different fan than the standard cooling fan - the pins in the connector will be the exact same as the standard fan but the blade configuration and means of mounting to the shroud I'm pretty sure are different.

I haven't had any issues with my Dorman. I also believe it is different for the HD application (shroud). I bought the Dorman from Rockauto and the HD version is the one with "max cooling" (620010). I put mine in a Mopar shroud I purchased from Avondale.

Ascender

Reaction score
Did you mean this shroud & fan assembly? That's the entire assembly with the shroud, fan, motor, wire harness, etc. It's been great to me so far - just under 4 years ;)

I know right where you are - I have friends in Pataskala! I'm in Hartville - take 70 to 77 then northeast of the Pro Football Hall of Fame about 15 miles ;)

Bob

That's the listing, but both part numbers in the description come back as shrouds. Just shrouds. That just struck me as odd, and I don't like taking chances on eBay. Last time I had to file a dispute, I got screwed by a bad description and was out money.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks correct and should be fan and shroud. I got mine from eBay as well and it's still working fine.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the listing, but both part numbers in the description come back as shrouds. Just shrouds. That just struck me as odd, and I don't like taking chances on eBay. Last time I had to file a dispute, I got screwed by a bad description and was out money.

That looks correct and should be fan and shroud. I got mine from eBay as well and it's still working fine.

Yep, that's the one I ordered too and it came complete with the fan, motor, etc. Tim and I are at least two of the people here who've ordered that kit - others on other forums have as well.

Whichever one you order you'll be glad you upgraded to the HD system :waytogo:

Bob

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. My Jeep has the dual fans. I always thought that was standard, but seeing pictures of other KJ's without the 2 fans always had me confused. Now I know! Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online