Having Transmission problems...Need Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FloridaManJohn

Reaction score
New guy here. I'll just disclose lots of info here in case any of it matters....
2005 Liberty 3.7L 175,000 miles 4x4 Stock
Never abused, I've owned it for 8 years, bought with 75,000 miles. I work in Alaska 6 months a year, so Jeep sits in the yard for majority of the year.
I'm no mechanic, but I think all my big issues are transmission related, and I'm wondering if there is a quick fix or if I need to splurge on another ******. The issues I'm having....

1. Jeep rumbles sporadically around 40mph. I am aware there is a TSB to reprogram PCM and get new torque converter. I found some "Dr. ******" on Amazon, put it in last week, and it seems to have minimized the rumbling, but it still occurs occasionally.
2. "Trans Temp" light on dash illuminates if I spend time over 75mph on highway or tow my boat (21ft)
3. Transmission randomly puts itself in "Limp Mode" (stays in what feels like 2nd gear) if I drive more that around 20 minutes on highway or sometimes totally randomly.

After driving for 45 minutes last night at 50mph, Jeep went into limp mode and gave these codes...
1. P2098 Post catalyst fuel system to lean
2. P0700 Trans control system malfunction
3. P1775 DTC definition not found see service manual
4. P1776 DTC definition not found see service manual
5. P2096 Post catalyst fuel trim bank 1 system to lean
6. P2098 Post catalyst fuel trim bank 2 system to lean
7. P0700 Trans control system malfunction

Any advice is appreciated.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, youve got some critical issues there... Lets start with the basics, before you poured the snake oil in the transmission, what did the fluid look like?

Have you ever changed the transmission and if so, what fluid did you use?

You say it sits in the yard a lot, do you have issues with mice?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Anytime you get a trans temp light, it is very important to drop the trans pan fluid, replace filter & install new ATF+4. ASAP.
The fluid has overheated, & friction modifiers are now toast.
Do you have the HD cooling with a fan clutch or just the 2 speed electrical fan? Are the fans working?
Some of those codes are pointing towards issues re the cat converters. Leaks in cats will cause these issues.
What scanner is being used? I'm also wondering if the 02 sensors may be causing issues.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience with transmission problems on my jeep, yet. So take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt...

I've read about the transmission computer forgetting the wear-compensation stored settings if the jeep sits for a long time. There's a "relearn" procedure in the sevice manual involving a lot of farting around in a parking lot or you can take it to a dealer or transmission shop with the right computer to reset the settings. I've read the transmission will wear out prematurely (self destruct) if this isn't done. Another way to deal with the reset is through an apple app and cable. Check out CaptainDean's "Hard to find noise --clinking and clanking" thread on the LOSTJEEPS forum for more complete info. Start on page 19, posted Dec 26, 2018. Read ahead a few pages since some stuff didn't work.

I'll be dealing with this myself since my jeep's been down for years waiting for me to make my way through my medical-malady obstacle course. I'll be ok as soon as I top the hill and round the bend and focus on the bleep. The sun has to be out for the shade tree to work.

Good luck!

Last edited:

FloridaManJohn

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. This issue started about 2 years ago, so I have been just driving very locally. When it first started, I changed the transmission fluid, using ATF+4, and the filter. From what I remembered, the old fluid looked fine. As for mice, when I returned home last week I did find a rats nest in the engine compartment, and 3 baby rats scurried out when I started the engine! It doesn't appear that they chewed through anything important, just some insulation. Before that, there was no rodent problem that I know of. The computer I'm using is the Actron Pocket Scan Plus. As for the cooling fans, I actually haven't looked into that.

I spoke with a transmission shop yesterday, he said it could just be a poor connection or something else minor, I am going to have him run some tests on it Monday. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
:eek: rats nest!
Thanks to Tom's recommendations, to keep critters away, try using Irish Spring Bar soap in the engine compartment, & change bars out every couple of months.
I also added Bounce dryer sheets to keep em away, works good. :)
The clutch volume index is something they may be able to read.
The snap on ultra scanner can read a host of information, hopefully they have one at their trans shop.

JeepCat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It says that I change the oil and the filter, make sure you have the correct oil level, it is not the same to fill when cold with the engine stopped than to fill with the engine running.
Maybe you already know what I'm talking about, just trying to help, if you read the manual it is explained how to do it.
The automatic box is very sensitive to the oil level it has and if it is not correct it can cause jerks, temperature increase or rattle

Latest posts

Members online