have to say goodbye to my jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cris

Reaction score
well after a year of fun i have to say goodbye to the jeep, its going to cost to much to fix.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 96

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a jar of Vaseline on the list, guess you have to supply that yourself or take it dry! Are you able to do any of your own work? I feel bad for those who can't work on their own vehicles. Sourcing your own parts would cost a fraction of what they're charging for parts alone. For one, you don't need a "new" front driveshaft, you only need a replacement cv joint (the rear one is the common one), which costs peanuts by comparison. But shops don't generally rebuild parts like that, they like to replace with new.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Partner, you can do a LOT better than that...shop smart for the parts and stock up on beer and pizza...there are surely some motorheads nearby who can help with labor and tools...these guys are just trying to sell you a new car by scaring you to death...you don't even need a front driveshaft just to get around town....

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a weekend of fun in the garage (with a case of beer) to me lol. Check out rockauto if you haven't...you could fix all that for a mfraction of that price...ridiculous

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2100 for the catalytic converter and pipe?!

Hell, go on RockAuto and use the 10% off coupon on their section of the site. Get the DAVICO Left and Right assemblies (manifolds to catback) and they'll come to about $335 plus shipping. $2100 is way, way, way too much.

They are killing you on the power steering pump and hoses, too. RockAuto has a kit, the pump, hoses, and such, for $127.

Actually, pretty much all those prices suck.

If you feel comfortable turning a wrench, do it yourself and save an absolute bundle.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least get another price from a better shop.

Dave

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet baby jesus on a stick that price list is criminal. If they didn't want to do the job why didn't they just say so?

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of thise things are wear items...

Agree! It may feel like we are raggin on you(or maybe not) but we are trying to help you out. You could do a lot better! also, prioritize! Start with the worst and tackle that(front brakes as it is a safety issue, if they are really bad)or are they good for another couple thousand miles? front drive shaft:take it out! you don't even need it. just don't go muddin or playin in the snow. If you can't do the work yourself, that's fine, no biggie, but find a shop that does not mind if you buy the parts and bring it in for them to change it, this way they'll only **** you on the labour.

Good luck!

Bert

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy crap find a new mechanic... 900 bucks for a drive haft ! i think i paid 300 for mine.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2100 for the catalytic converter and pipe?!

Hell, go on RockAuto and use the 10% off coupon on their section of the site. Get the DAVICO Left and Right assemblies (manifolds to catback) and they'll come to about $335 plus shipping. $2100 is way, way, way too much.

They are killing you on the power steering pump and hoses, too. RockAuto has a kit, the pump, hoses, and such, for $127.

Actually, pretty much all those prices suck.

If you feel comfortable turning a wrench, do it yourself and save an absolute bundle.
What you can get parts for is not anywhere close to what you will pay at a shop and sorry they can not and will not price match internet wholesale prices.They will make $$$ on the parts they install otherwise they could not keep the doors open.

Depending on the state OE cat's maybe the only choice and $2100 is the price.Also no parts suppliers carry those front driveshaft rebuild kits so a new driveshaft is the only choice.Then you got the little thing is most have no clue how to do any of that work let alone a place to do it.

You all have no clue on shop prices and most crap you buy from rockauto is actually crap with no warranty in most cases.Shop prices do come with a warranty,saving a few $$$ does not.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the state OE cat's maybe the only choice and $2100 is the price.Also no parts suppliers carry those front driveshaft rebuild kits so a new driveshaft is the only choice.Then you got the little thing is most have no clue how to do any of that work let alone a place to do it.

You all have no clue on shop prices and most crap you buy from rockauto is actually crap with no warranty in most cases.Shop prices do come with a warranty,saving a few $$$ does not.

Maybe so, but I can also go on AutoZone's site and get a set of Magnaflow cats and pipes for ~$900. I'm not sure if they are California rated, but they appear to be New York rated. That is the most expensive one they carry.

Heck, looking up part# 52129078AB online (PIPE AND CONVERTER, Exhaust to manifold) reveals I can get it for ~$700 online from FactoryChryslerParts, which is actually a dealership's online sales site. I'm sure if I went to my local dealer it'd cost more, but I doubt it'd cost more than 10-15% more (like the last item I bought from them).

From my understanding most shops make their money on labor, and I'm OK with that, but if I can get the part for $900 (highest I could find) and they want $2100... heck, even if that $2100 includes labor (considering it lists it as 'retail', that's debatable) we're still talking over 10 hours at $100 an hour! That seems excessive. :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against shops making money and keeping their doors open, but this seems a little steep to me.
:imo:

Sorry, back on topic.

Cris, I hope this works out in a manner in which your happy. Weather that means a new vehicle, or fixing the Jeep. No one likes a broken down vehicle. :(

Last edited:

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also no parts suppliers carry those front driveshaft rebuild kits so a new driveshaft is the only choice.

NAPA doesn't count?
NOE 8196773 Front Propeller Shaft,Forward Position
NOE 8196772 Front Propeller Shaft,Rearward Position

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe so, but I can also go on AutoZone's site and get a set of Magnaflow cats and pipes for ~$900. I'm not sure if they are California rated, but they appear to be New York rated. That is the most expensive one they carry.

Heck, looking up part# 52129078AB online (PIPE AND CONVERTER, Exhaust to manifold) reveals I can get it for ~$700 online from FactoryChryslerParts, which is actually a dealership's online sales site. I'm sure if I went to my local dealer it'd cost more, but I doubt it'd cost more than 10-15% more (like the last item I bought from them).

From my understanding most shops make their money on labor, and I'm OK with that, but if I can get the part for $900 (highest I could find) and they want $2100... heck, even if that $2100 includes labor (considering it lists it as 'retail', that's debatable) we're still talking over 10 hours at $100 an hour! That seems excessive. :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against shops making money and keeping their doors open, but this seems a little steep to me.
:imo:

Sorry, back on topic.

Cris, I hope this works out in a manner in which your happy. Weather that means a new vehicle, or fixing the Jeep. No one likes a broken down vehicle. :(
Canada,part prices are a lot more then here.

NAPA doesn't count?
NOE 8196773 Front Propeller Shaft,Forward Position
NOE 8196772 Front Propeller Shaft,Rearward Position
Not one parts house in my area carries or can get them,trust me I've tried and even given them part #'s and they are not in any system(comes up invalid part #) within 150 miles of me.

cris

Reaction score
thanks guys i really think i got freaked with the price i will look at doing some myself and finding a good shop to help. thanks for the advice.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You never said why you took your Jeep in to get looked at. Were you having issues, or was it for a check up? Take a car in and tell them "let me know if you find anything wrong", and sure enough they'll find something wrong. Some of those things on the list aren't life threatening (talking about the Jeeps life, not yours), or may be a "would be good to get to it sooner or later". Without being there to evaluate in person, nobody here can say what the severity of those "issues" may be.

Last edited:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in canada and i had a local transmission shop change my front drive shaft for ess than 500 bucks. maybe cuz it is right across from windsor assemby?

Latest posts

Members online