Hard to keep Stopped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gregorym100

Reaction score
Hi all,

We just bought a 2002 Jeep Libby and noticed that when we start the engine and put it in Drive, if we don't have our foot on the brake the Jeep will start to move. Almost like the clutch isn't releasing? With the brake pressed and in gear you can feel the back end rise up, wanting to go. Then put it in park or neutral it falls back down.

It is hard to explain but hopefully you get the picture...Any ideas?

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did the same thing. it has stopped doing it. i have 18,000 miles on it
it was most visible when going from park to reverse

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will all do that when they are cold. The engine rpms are alittle higher so it puts alittle more torque on the ******.

Normal. You should always have youre foot on the brake when changing gears, you must be on the brake to get it out of P.

Kinda neat, on our 94 ZJ you can shift gears without hitting the brake pedal. They had a recall later on to add that but we never took it in. Its kinda neat to go from P to D without hitting the brake. :D

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that as well. I think it will be especially pronounced with the 2002 since it is a truck transmission and from what I've heard has a notchier shift between gears than the newer ones. I'd always learned to come to a stop and use the brake shifting anyway, so I've never even really noticed that much.

SoDakJeep

Reaction score
i usally dont even need to have my foot on the brakes to keep stopped at a light or anywhere really. Mine is an 05 tho so it might be differnt

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is normal for an '02
lower first gear in ******
rear drum breaks
make it fun
try this '02 TJ with the TF999 ,3 speed auto and more aggressive than the one in the KJ
rear drums low gears a in 4low trying to stop
it will slow down but it dont like to stop

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Kinda neat, on our 94 ZJ you can shift gears without hitting the brake pedal. They had a recall later on to add that but we never took it in. Its kinda neat to go from P to D without hitting the brake. :D
The old Chryslers all were like that. Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse on my mom's '93 Duster didn't require you to hit the brake pedal.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
They will all do that when they are cold. The engine rpms are alittle higher so it puts alittle more torque on the ******.

Normal. You should always have youre foot on the brake when changing gears, you must be on the brake to get it out of P.

Our Liberty does the same thing.
No foot required on break pedal to shift from Park to Drive.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
For us, only Neutral to Drive works, or when you are shifting from 1-2-D..

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Umm yeah, no one should be shifting gears in an automatic w/o feet on the brake. However, I don't believe you can shift without a foot on the brake (out of park to drive, that is). But yeah, this is normal when cold. It's an automatic transmission, so when it gets gas, it wants to go.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm yeah, no one should be shifting gears in an automatic w/o feet on the brake. However, I don't believe you can shift without a foot on the brake (out of park to drive, that is). But yeah, this is normal when cold. It's an automatic transmission, so when it gets gas, it wants to go.
I can shift into any gear with my 45RFE without my foot on the brake,just need to apply the brake to get it out of park.I have never hurt anything upshifting/downshifting manualy.Now I don't go from R to D or D to R while moving,not always on the brake but never moving.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is like that and on slippery ice it's even worse because it won't want to come to a complete stop unless you shift it to Neutral.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well, boy and girls. I can depress the button on the side of the shift knob and shift it (without force) from park into any gear with out my food on the break pedal. It is probably a malfunction on the lock out for the gear selector, but non the less it can be done.

Must be the reason the day time running/ high beam doesn't work on the drivers side! :D

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can shift into any gear with my 45RFE without my foot on the brake,just need to apply the brake to get it out of park.I have never hurt anything upshifting/downshifting manualy.Now I don't go from R to D or D to R while moving,not always on the brake but never moving.

Sorry, I should have clarified. That's what I meant. You shouldn't be shifting out of park into gear without a foot on brake, even if the vehicle lets you do it. Yes, downshifting from D to 2 and 1 is fine. I do it all the time on the trail.