Hard Start after sitting a bit/Occasional fuel smell/ Odd sound when shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christopher Schmaus

Reaction score
Had the Libby about 3 weeks now and boy did they see me coming. Check engine light came on but OBD II reader shows no codes. ESP/Traction control lights are on. Oh and it needs tires and found out my good 235/75 15 wont fit due to rim size.

What I have done: new purge valve and water pump. Parts I have on hand: all 4 ABS sensors, Trans filter/gasket/input/output sensor. AND it's an 06 so the clock spring is not cheap!

When I got her she had an occasional fuel smell under the hood and in the cab when driving and first shut off. Now when she's been sitting for a little while it takes a bit of cranking to get her to fire up and a then a few seconds of rough idle. Plus when I shut it off there is an odd sound that comes from the rear of the rig.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang sorry to hear of all these issues.
If the Check engine light is on there will be stored code/s. You need to access a good shop scanner & to also find the ABS/ESP codes as well.
Time to check fuel pressure & report back the psi readings from the fuel rail in psi, key on, running and off after 15 minutes.
The Jeep likes to have new spark plugs every 35 k with the correct spark plugs and gap set correctly.
Only use NGK ZFR6F-11G gap them at .040 inch

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you smell fuel, you have a fuel leak. The fuel system is a closed, sealed pressure system. You shouldn't smell fuel. Then, due to the leak, when you shut it off (shut car and fuel pump off) fuel pressure drops down and when you go to start, fuel pump has to pump up some pressure to get it to run.

I was driving down the highway a year ago, 1/2 mile behind a van. I could smell the fuel from it. When the lady stopped I told her about it. She opened the hood and it reeked of gas. She had it towed to the shop.

You have a bad hose or connector, or something. Could be the seal on the top of the tank, depending on how it is all set up.
dc

Christopher Schmaus

Reaction score
If you smell fuel, you have a fuel leak. The fuel system is a closed, sealed pressure system. You shouldn't smell fuel. Then, due to the leak, when you shut it off (shut car and fuel pump off) fuel pressure drops down and when you go to start, fuel pump has to pump up some pressure to get it to run.

I was driving down the highway a year ago, 1/2 mile behind a van. I could smell the fuel from it. When the lady stopped I told her about it. She opened the hood and it reeked of gas. She had it towed to the shop.

You have a bad hose or connector, or something. Could be the seal on the top of the tank, depending on how it is all set up.
dc
Found it......The quick connect where the main fuel line connects to the jumper line that goes to the fuel rail. Never seen anything there before, but when checking the new water pump while the key was in the run position I noticed a drip. New line ordered.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found the NVLD pump/unit on my 2005 to make that shutdown sound. Replaced and fixed it. The hard start can be related to the smell. When mine smelled like fuel at the front end it was bad o-rings on the injectors. Hard starting can be a bad injector as well. If you stomp the pedal while cranking and ease the pedal back up slowly and it starts, you have a flooding injector.

Latest posts

Members online