harbor freight hitch shackle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
It should work just fine.
I have a tow hook and tow ring from Princess Auto here in Canada. Same price, same store different country.
It is more than likely made in Asia/China! Along with all the computers, home ecectronics, and one fifth of the people on this planet!
Good price.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harbor Freight is a hit or miss on being any good,yes I do visit often to buy more cheap stuff that breaks often when trying to track down the SnapOn,MAC,or Matco guy is impossible.From the looks at that shackle receiver I'd run as far away as I could,that looks very scary if you ever had to any type of a side pull:eek:.Just fork over the $35 for the WARN one that is quality and made out of a solid chuck of steel and not welded flat and tube.

Scary:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
You must be registered for see images

Much stronger and safer..................
You must be registered for see images

sconroy325

Reaction score
^^^I'm with him on this one^^^

I just got the warn piece shipped to me yesterday and I really think that the hitch assembly would pull off my Jeep before the shackle would fail....
IMO there are certain things in life that are worth going a little over the top on....and I feel that recovery gear is one of those things....

Again just my $0.02 though

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i live next to harbor freight, and bought all my towing accessories there. half the price for what i think is just about the same quality. i dunno... seems like the same gague steel anyway. i got the ball, hitch, and the extender to go past my spare tire, as well as the pins. maybe the tools are junk, but the trailer stuff seems ok.

off topic:
i also bought a boat trailer for my jon boat there too. again i thought it was a great deal. 329.99 and only 12.99 to ship it in 3 huge boxes. :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Warn bar and shackle tjkj has in his picture. It is solid steel and real heavy. The shackle is marked WLL 4.5 ton. That's the one I have and use anyway. I got it at Tractor Supply if you happen to have one near you. They also have good quality recovery straps and other stuff there.

Just my opinion.

Dave

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here i can get one that's a knockoff of the Warn model, built the same though one solid chunk of steel with a shackle. Runnings sells it, its made by Curt or Reese, i don't remember which.

A few sellers on ebay have them too for about $25 plus another $10 shipping, for that i can go to Runnings and buy the shackle for $25 and a decent tow strap for the other $10. One of these days i will get one, definitely plan on tossing one in the back before winter as i always end up pulling people out.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here i can get one that's a knockoff of the Warn model, built the same though one solid chunk of steel with a shackle. Runnings sells it, its made by Curt or Reese, i don't remember which.

A few sellers on ebay have them too for about $25 plus another $10 shipping, for that i can go to Runnings and buy the shackle for $25 and a decent tow strap for the other $10. One of these days i will get one, definitely plan on tossing one in the back before winter as i always end up pulling people out.
Stay away from a tow strap,they are not ment for recovery,hence the name and do not get any type of strap with metal hooks on them(very scary).You want a good recovery strap(or also known as snatch straps) made for recovery,and yes and they will cost more then $10.Never seen a decent strap for anything less then $25-$30.You should have a Tractor Supply Company store around your area somewhere,they sell nice recovery straps that are not that expensive.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't need a strap for recovery, by recovery i mean out in the middle of a ditch or in the backwoods, i just need to pull someone down the street now and then in the winter time when the plows haven't been out yet. Or pull a disabled car down the road to the shop, etc.

The only thing i don't like about the snatch straps is the bungie cord like action that they provide. I used to own one back when i lived out on a farm cause i thought it would be a better thing to have in the truck for all those idiots that drive the backroads after a good snowfall, cost me a small fortune and was the highest rating you could buy, the bad thing about it? First time i used it i started to pull the guy out of the end of this field approach that he tried to use to turn around when the road got too bad and the strap loaded up, when it finally did its sling shot routine i had to hammer the gas so the guy didn't smash into my bumper because the momentum he got when he came out of the snow and hit the compacted snow on the road, literally sling shot him into the back of me.

With a regular strap i can feather the throttle and slowly pull them out until they get traction and can move under their own power. I have been using regular tow straps for 20 years and haven't had a break or problem yet. But then mine has a latched hook on it, so on my vehicle that gets hooked into a shackle and on the vehicle i am towing it gets wrapped around the frame or axle and hooked to itself. On the van we used to have i took the ball out of the mount on the hitch and put a shackle through the hole when i needed to use the tow strap. I plan on getting a hitch shackle like the Warn or Reese one for the KJ now that i have that.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good tow strap for $10, no, what i meant to say is you can put that $10 towards one.