Half cylinders firing on startup? Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
Hello.
I replaced my head gaskets and timing chains and guides.
In doing so noticed my MAP sensor was damaged, so I replaced that a couple days later.
After I replaced that, I immediately got 2 engine codes:

p0340 - No camshaft reference signal at pCM
P1391 - Loss of crankshaft crank

It didnt seem to run different than it has been lately, which is a little rough honestly and feels like it has a misfire or something causing an uneven vibration intermittently...

Last night I replaced the camshaft sensor and after that, it started up but seemed like it was only running on a few cylinders... It seemed to idle okay, but when i gave it gas it chugged and struggled.
I turned the key off and started it again, it seemed to take a moment for the started to start it up, but this time it seemed to run fine... then this morning when i started it, started up quicker but again was only seeming to fire a few cylinders and struggled to move.

Any ideas? TIA

Could a bad starter cause only half the cylinders to fire up and run or does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to check the cam sensor for power, ground and output signal. An oscilloscope is the best way to do it, but a capable multimeter might work in a pinch.

I don't see how a bad starter would cause the issue u described.

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
You need to check the cam sensor for power, ground and output signal. An oscilloscope is the best way to do it, but a capable multimeter might work in a pinch.

I don't see how a bad starter would cause the issue u described.

Do you know if the alternator plug being damaged could affect the camshaft sensor? (The small plug with 2 wires on top rear of the alternator) The plug on the back of my alternator got damaged when i had some work done. It seems to hold on still but not as good as it should.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the alternator plug being damaged could affect the camshaft sensor?

I doubt the problems are related.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.