Grounds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven329

Reaction score
Replaced engine n my 09 liberty sport ,ran great for a bit then now won't start cables get hot and so does starter, it think I missed a ground or two, can someone tell me where to get the ground wiring diagram??

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone here will provide you with the Grounds for the KK.

In the meantime check the negative lead from the battery is clean and tight at the battery terminal and where it goes to chassis.

Make sure the Red positive lead is also clamped on tight at the Battery post and is firmly clamped on the Starter motor....disconnect the battery before messing with the positive cable at the Starter Motor as this thick positive lead is unfused!

I presume on the KK the rear of the heads also go to chassis or the fire wall with thick straps.

Take a very thick cable such as a set of heavy duty jumper leads with clamps on each end. Clamp one end to the battery negative post and the other end clamp onto the casing of the Starter Motor.

If it now turns over nicely it confirms that you do indeed have a bad ground somewhere!;)

Steven329

Reaction score

In the meantime check the negative lead from the battery is clean and tight at the battery terminal and where it goes to chassis.

Make sure the Red positive lead is also clamped on tight at the Battery post and is firmly clamped on the Starter motor....disconnect the battery before messing with the positive cable at the Starter Motor as this thick positive lead is unfused!

I presume on the KK the rear of the heads also go to chassis or the fire wall with thick straps.

Take a very thick cable such as a set of heavy duty jumper leads with clamps on each end. Clamp one end to the battery negative post and the other end clamp onto the casing of the Starter Motor.

If it now turns over nicely it confirms that you do indeed have a bad ground somewhere!;)
Well cleaned and replaced all grounds checked starter, all are good now, so

Well done all of the above everything's good. Now the motor has seized up, I'm at a loss.

Steven329

Reaction score

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Are you sure the starter's good? Starter shaft bushings can wear causing the armature to ground out which would cause heat, melted insulation, fire.

Maybe the starter's staying engaged with the flywheel jamming the engine.

I'd unhook the battery and try wrenching the engine around by hand.

Steven329

Reaction score
Are you sure the starter's good? Starter shaft bushings can wear causing the armature to ground out which would cause heat, melted insulation, fire.

Maybe the starter's staying engaged with the flywheel jamming the engine.

I'd unhook the battery and try wrenching the engine around by hand.
I just tried to turn it , it won't budge should I try to take out the starter?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Take the spark plugs out removing the compression.
Put some oil or marvell mystery oil down each spark plug hole, and let sit overnight. Then try turning it to see if it will budge.

Steven329

Reaction score
Take the spark plugs out removing the compression.
Put some oil or marvell mystery oil down each spark plug hole, and let sit overnight. Then try turning it to see if it will budge.
Ok cool great idea, thank you already have the plugs out too

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had a suspicion you may have a seized engine!:oops:

But maybe remove the Starter Motor as suggested....it may be jamming the flywheel!

Disconnect battery first before doing this.