grinding noise when 05 liberty put into part time 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BubbaRand

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with terrible grinding noise when 05 liberty is put in part time 4x4?

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

BubbaRand

Reaction score
I just replaced the left front wheel drive shaft - is this the cv? the noise that was there is gone as a result however the noise now is just when I try to engage the 4 wheel drive (transfer case?) Does that mean that the transfer case is the problem? Thanks, regards Rand

BubbaRand

Reaction score
Thank you for the terminology correction. However I have a horrendous noise when I try to engage the part-time 4 wheel drive, but I can drive the vehicle when I leave it in 2 wheel drive, does this mean that I have a major issue with the transfer case?, and can I inspect it by taking off the cover of the transfer case ( where the drain/refill ports are?) Can the chain be totally gone but still allow me to drive in 2 wheel drive? Thanks again for your feedback, I have good mechanical ability but am unemployed since Covid destroyed my two little businesses, therefore have no money for auto shop help. Regards,
Rand

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
The source of your noise is possibly the front drive shaft it is almost directly below your seat between the front axle and the transfer case. They are suggesting above that you check that first as it is the more likely candidate.

BubbaRand

Reaction score
But??? If the problem is the front drive shaft, how am I able to drive the vehicle without the noise being noticeable? HELP!
Regards, Rand

BubbaRand

Reaction score
The noise is only when I try to engage the part-time 4 wheel drive!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No you should be driving slowly when you shift the transfer box

Members online

No members online now.