Greetings from snowy cold NW PA.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a '05 Liberty 2.4L 4cyl 6 speed.
Researching what I need to know.
Mostly looking for mileage, and dependable winter transportation.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy! Change all fluids, inspect/replace spark plugs, clear any codes, inspect/replace hoses, brake lines, serpentine belt...good luck!

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
Yes, serpentine belt needs replaced, just looking at spark plug replacement procedure, and planning all fluid refreshment.
No manual, I'll have to search which fluids are used in each component.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread will self-destruct in 10 seconds....Good luck, Mr. Phelps!

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was just going over a few things, and I accidently found a secret hiding place just above the glove box, with all the manuals in it. How come no-one ever mentions that???
I pulled #1 plug, and WOW does it ever need plugs. I took a pic with my phone, but it didn't turn out too good, the electrode is actually worn at an angle, it looks like someone took a file to it.
Should I do wires too?
Also, I found quite a bit of motor oil in the air box, please tell me that's normal. I left the PVC hose unhooked and started it and it didn't seem to blow much air out of it.
Throttle body didn't look too bad.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the plugs (champion RE16MC copper), then see how she idles & runs...don't change stuff just to be changing stuff...prioritize! What does it need to run and drive smoothly and safely...oil in the airbox not so good...check the PVC fitting...

Last edited:

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the plugs (champion 434 copper), then see how she idles & runs...don't change stuff just to be changing stuff...prioritize! What does it need to run and drive smoothly and safely...oil in the airbox not so good...check the PVC fitting...

You sure that's the right plug for a 4cyl?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I was just going over a few things, and I accidently found a secret hiding place just above the glove box, with all the manuals in it. How come no-one ever mentions that???
I pulled #1 plug, and WOW does it ever need plugs. I took a pic with my phone, but it didn't turn out too good, the electrode is actually worn at an angle, it looks like someone took a file to it.
Should I do wires too?
Also, I found quite a bit of motor oil in the air box, please tell me that's normal. I left the PVC hose unhooked and started it and it didn't seem to blow much air out of it.
Throttle body didn't look too bad.
:icon_lol: funny on the secret hiding place some have owned their KJs for years before they find it or someone mentions it. Its about like the sunvisor trick......
Maybe a bit of oil residual in the airbox but shouldn't be much, change out the PVC and see how it does

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I was just going over a few things, and I accidently found a secret hiding place just above the glove box, with all the manuals in it. How come no-one ever mentions that???...

The walls have ears. Shhhhhhhh! :hidesbehindsofa:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now I feel kind of let down, as the dealer pointed it out to me during the test drive... :blah:

Welcome to the forums, lots of useful information around here!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Now I feel kind of let down, as the dealer pointed it out to me during the test drive... :blah:

Welcome to the forums, lots of useful information around here!

When they delivered mine to me from the dealership, they were great and pointed that out as one of the first things. At that point I had yet to even sit in one and may not of found it for a couple of days.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:icon_lol: funny on the secret hiding place some have owned their KJs for years before they find it or someone mentions it. Its about like the sunvisor trick......
Maybe a bit of oil residual in the airbox but shouldn't be much, change out the PVC and see how it does

Shhhh......... Don't tell them about the sunvisors :happy175::happy175::happy175:

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is pre-owned, I doubt the small, used car lot dealer, knew about it either.

OK, now I'm intrigued about the visor thing!?!?

If it slides out, I read about it in the manual.:ROFLJest:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is pre-owned, I doubt the small, used car lot dealer, knew about it either.

OK, now I'm intrigued about the visor thing!?!?

If it slides out, I read about it in the manual.:ROFLJest:

:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

Took me almost two years to find out about that -I thought I broke it!:happy175::happy175::happy175: