GPS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost all of the Garmin's have that... It is called Text-to-Speech Recognition and the recent ones from the last 2 years or so have the ability to read the street name aloud.

maddawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i just switched to the TomTom GO 510 instead of the ONE just for the fact that it offers the hands free calling i think that is a nice feature espeacially with all of the new phone laws...i do have a bluetooth ear peice but it hurts my ear after a while lol i guess i should get off the damn phone :-k

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Almost all of the Garmin's have that... It is called Text-to-Speech Recognition and the recent ones from the last 2 years or so have the ability to read the street name aloud.

I have been using my Mapopolis and it has been reading street names a loud for 4 years.. (whistle) And I am pretty sure TomTom's low end will do the same.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, Tom Tom One does NOT have text to speech, nor does the 510. I don't think even the 910 has it, but it may. It is their high end model and is closely featured to the 510, I just don't remember the differences.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Nope, Tom Tom One does NOT have text to speech, nor does the 510. I don't think even the 910 has it, but it may. It is their high end model and is closely featured to the 510, I just don't remember the differences.

Text to speech is very cheap, I wonder why they don't add it.. And all it takes is just a few KB space. So how does it work? Does it say "take exit in two miles" and if there are two exits, you are screwed up? Gotta look at the screen all the time? This sounds absurd.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY what it does. Precisely why I did not buy the Tom Tom 510 given its other features and lower price tag. I liked the 4 inch screen over the Garmin Nuvi 360, but not haveing text to speech was a sticking point. Plus, read the reviews on it, all these next generation Tom Toms fail, repeatedly. Any good review on them is written by someone who has not had it long enough. 99% of the time, a reviewer reports that their unit died in days or weeks, and the replacement did, too.

It always pays to read the reviews on electronics for this very reason. While previous Tom Tom units may have been good, these are junk.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's messed up.. but I still don't get it how they can omit that..

Anyway, to those who wish to get a gps, go to your local electronics superstore, circuit city, bestbuy, where gps units are not locked up behind some silly cabinet, like in walmart, and play with them.

maddawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if it is crappy as you say it will find it's way to ebay lol i know it does talk but text to speech i don't know exactly what you mean unless it is everything on the gps unit is says aloud

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again... price for features I can't say enough about the Finedrive 400 which has a 4" screen, text to speech, MPs, and can run any windows CE software including movies off the 2 gig SD card...

3 different degrees of 3D or 2D navigation

$269 on Ebay...

I have no complaints... best size screen for the dollar I found.

maddawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i got crutchfield to explain the text to speech and it sounded good so i upgraded to the TOM TOM 910 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-85vJ6UeW31w/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=270650&I=625GO910
i rather it tell me to make a turn on ELM street than turn in 60 yards. i mean what if there is 2 streets running close!!! i guess in the end you must always buy the one with enough whistles to not make you turn around and buy another in a month (whistle)