GPS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys whats the best option for GPS out there? I've seen an upgrade out there to replace the Factory radio with a GPS in dash but does it do that good? Is the wiring already there for the actual GPS receiver? Or am I better off going aftermarket for something like this?

I've seen two versions, one of which comes on DVD, and the other I assume is live.

Wifey isn't too good with directions I think it would make a really cool gift.

Thoughts?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
TomTom, previous series I forgot which one, goes for $299 pre loaded with USA and Canada maps.

If she is the techy kind, and needs a cellphone, go with HP HW series $599 + mapping software, $50 top $99 including cellphone, internet, gps.

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
TomTom, previous series I forgot which one, goes for $299 pre loaded with USA and Canada maps.

If she is the techy kind, and needs a cellphone, go with HP HW series $599 + mapping software, $50 top $99 including cellphone, internet, gps.

Does the tomTom fill the hole where the radio was? Or is that even an option?

She likes techy stuff but not in the car :). Shes married to an IT Technicinan so you can tell what our house looks like :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
NVMY03GT said:

She likes techy stuff but not in the car :). Shes married to an IT Technicinan so you can tell what our house looks like :)

No, you do not replace the radio, it just stays on the dash or stuck to the windshield with suction/handle mount.

You must be registered for see images

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
NVMY03GT said:

No, you do not replace the radio, it just stays on the dash or stuck to the windshield with suction/handle mount.

Woah that thing looks bad ass! Is it live feed?

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking he means traffic updates like the service XM offers as an addon to their subscription for equipped units.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
NVMY03GT said:
Those are awesome!

Is there anything that fits right in where the radio was? Or is that mega $$?

if you meant what Titan mentioned, no these do not include right out of the box, you need to pay monthly for those things and need to get them from another source, etc.

In dash? I never liked them. Plus who wants to leave their GPS in dash when they go hiking, shopping, etc.. let's say you get stock somewhere, you take your gps in your pocket and start walking \:D/
oh and with in dash, you need to do your own wiring or pay someone to pull the antenna to somwhere out. They don't cost as much as they did, but for a truely good one, consider $1000+ touch screen etc..

R.Rabbit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...down the rabbit hole just ahead of Alice.
I have a Garmin etrex in the Liberty with a cig lighter power cord and dash mount. That way I can take it out when Geocaching. Under $300 with accessories, however it is not for city driving because of it's small screen.
not mine, but you get the idea

The wife has a Garmin Street Pilt with touch screen, remote and voice. Punch in a destination and it will tell you when and where to turn to get to your destination. "In 500 feet, turn left" etc. It also is dash mounted so if we every sell the Odessey she can take it with her. Much better for traveling and in city driving. You can even query "food" and it will list them out to about 100 miles, click on it and it will give you the address and phone number (for call ahead seating). \:D/
same as the wifes
You must be registered for see images attach

The newest version has weather and traffic updates, but that is a suscription with XM radio ($$).

Link
IMHO - indash looks cool, but the ondash can be transfer from vehicle to vehicle for example if you're visiting the inlaws #-o and you want to use their bigger car instead of the Libby.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, call me daft, but how do you update the maps on these things and how much does the update cost, how accessible are the updates, how often...etc.

I have the REC in my Charger and was going to get the RB1 for the Liberty to share the map disc between them (same one). But I am a little disenchanted with the RB1 so I am thinking about a dash mounted...only I know nothing about them.

With the REC, Chrysler/Alpine/Navtech have been releasing a new DVD about once a year that costs $300 and also installs a new firmware into the unit. I just worry about being able to update the maps and store/restaurant listings easily and often. Especially in DC where they build and reroute a new interstate every month. Even when I bought the new REC nav disc that came out in October, it was fine when I got it, and outdated a month later. Since then, I-95 has been rerouted FOUR times with new bridges, overpasses, roads, exits, you name it.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin, and it's awesome. Last summer I took my family to Disney World via car from Chicago. I refused to print ANY directions, and my wife thought I was nuts. The Garmin got us from our front door to the lobby of our hotel at Disney without a single problem. I was even able to use my GPS to find a local hotel (phone number included) when we were done driving for the day somewhere north of Atlanta. Same thing coming back.

Software updates are free, but I understand that map updates run about $75 (haven't updated maps yet after about a year of ownership). They're easy to update through a mini-USB connected to the PC. The software finds the updated software and installs it.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal. I should know my way around Chicago by now, but I still rely on printing out directions for every possible situation. Gino's to Wrigley, Wrigley to Gino's, ya know...the important stuff ;)

R.Rabbit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...down the rabbit hole just ahead of Alice.
For the Garmin your first update is free (usually). I think version #8 is the current one out now which is from 2006. Updating the Street Pilot is as simple as loading the disc into your computer, plugging in your GPS to your computer and following the directions.

I bought Mapsource Metroguide #8 for under $100 on ebay and it loads a program onto your computer and then you can send waypoints, routes, etc onto your GPS. I use it for both of our GPSs. I picked it up to make using my etrex with geocaching easier. Plot the points (multiple) and send them to the GPS via cable and voila...

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garmin StreetPilot c530 mounted on the windshield. I remove it when not in the vehicle, no sense inviting a break-in.

As stated above... software updates are free. Map updates are $75.00 a pop. Both are downloaded from the Garmin website.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap because it is extremely limited. No text to speech, so don't expect it to communicate your street turns verbally. Also lacks Bluetooth, auto day/night settings, volume switch. It is an entry level GPS, but does the job for the 200 or so they go for now.

maddawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it says that it talks but i will see when it gets here as long as it shows the path i'll be happy with it i don't plan on getting that lost to where i need to have a full conversation with it. it aslo states that it has bluetooth and a 2yr warranty but we'll see

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it has bluetooth, but that is for its own communication purposes. If I recall it uses it to talk to your cell phone and use its GPRS for traffic...but I don't think that one was sophisticated enough to have the traffic updates. IF it has bluetooth, rest assured it is not bluetooth phone support for making hands free calls.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Cheap because it is extremely limited. No text to speech, so don't expect it to communicate your street turns verbally. Also lacks Bluetooth, auto day/night settings, volume switch. It is an entry level GPS, but does the job for the 200 or so they go for now.

I don't think there is any GPS receiver left that doesn't tell you to "make a right turn at 200 feet" or whatever it is supposed to.