Gotta trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yeah my G/F ound this on the side of the road 3 days ago and made sure that it was not anyones before telling me...
It's not in perfect shape and needs some surgery but here it is!

You must be registered for see images

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found on the roadside?? Come on, how much did you pay for it?? LOL

That's a nice old school Chevy stepside, even has the fender relief for the spare tire mount. That would look cool all cleaned up and painted.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yeah my G/F ound this on the side of the road 3 days ago and made sure that it was not anyones before telling me...
... until 6 months later someone stops and says 'hey you stole my trailer"
I always wanted a 3/4 ton pickup bed trailer with tilt on it, but since I got my 16' flatbed, not needed. They are good workhorses though. I like the old style, that would look cool all painted up really nice, long bed too!

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
How old is the plate, are there plate stickers that show the last time the registration was renewed? I see there is a plate on that trailer, beat up pretty good too, but it belonged or belongs to someone... It's usually 30 - 60 days for the abandonment rules to take, but by then it would be towed. How could you "make sure" that it did not belong to someone? You would have to call the police, run a tag check, they get a hold of the registrant, he says they (you) can have it or they say it's not in the system, we can't get the guy, it's yours; or no, they get the person and they say I have to come get it. At that point the cops tell you, it's all yours (if he said, let it go), or this dude has XX days to come get this before WE take it, and you can pay the impound and tow fees to get it. Just playing devils advocate, you can be perfectly fine for all we know, it's cool though, with some work it should look decent.

Here is a story: We saw an abandoned Dodge Tradesman on the side of the road for FOUR WEEKS. We owned one, and we needed parts, getting to where I am going? Well, guess what? The cops stopped behind my cousin on the OTHER side of the highway, with the flashers on (I told him NOT to use them!). Well, we were INSIDE the abandoned van, with sockets, ratchets, and screw drivers; we panicked when the cop flashed his light over towards the van, and jumped out of the van, and ran down the hill side. Cop saw us jumping out, and then made my cousin get out of the our van. The cop asked my cousin a bunch of questions, my cousin played dumb, so the cop said he was arresting him, and putting an APB out on us, as two white males, bla bla bla. So, the cop asked him one more time, WHAT are you doing? My cousin told him what we were doing, why, and all that... You know the cop said? "Next time? Don't put your flashers on, I would have driven right past you. I don't want to see you here again, git! Go pick up your buddies and go home." Cop left, cousin came and picked us up on the lower road.. We were hiding in the bush, in the RAIN, we saw him approaching in the van, so we got in, and had our story to tell... I told my cousin though, SEE I told you not to use the flashers...

Even though that thing was clearly abandoned, it was still theft... That thing sat there with yellow stickers in the window, which notifies tow companies they can tow the vehicle. Well, even THEY know, if it sat there THAT long, no one is coming for it, they loose money. The next day? The van was gone...

Last edited:

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the trailer was last registered in 80 so I really don't think they wanted it. there are a lot of thse things just left on the rod because people don't want them. there was nothing wrong with it except needing a rust treatment, tires just because they look rotted, one missing shock, and it needs new springs/shocks. but she did make sure it was there for 3 day before telling me, so I think that that is sufficent time for someone to come and get it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know around here you can find one backed into the trees now and then just like that, someone decided to get rid of it...

I don't know how the rules are in your state but i would make sure you can get it licensed before you put any money into it.

Here in MN we get lifetime license on a trailer under 2,000 lbs now, no license plates, just a sticker you put on the drawbar of the trailer. But to get that sticker and trailer registration done you need a signed bill of sale or title, or you have to register it as a home built trailer, which that one would definitely qualify, but you have to go through quite a process and i did it once for a trailer a guy built. I had to take it to the certified scale down here at the local grain elevator, get a weight slip from them, then i had to go finish all the paperwork and pay out of the butt for that sticker and registration, and then finally i was also required to stamp a VIN number into the frame on the front of the trailer for later identification. Had to pay a shop to do that too as they won't allow the owner to do it or attach a numbered plate anymore. And some states require an inspection when registering a home built trailer, which means all working lights, good tires, safety chains, you name it, must be in place.

So like i said, make sure you can get it registered first!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone probably abandoned it more than likely. Nice old trailer that needs some tlc.

Someone obviously made it and had it registered at one time. You can register a "home made trailer" here. You need to just go to DMV and make up a serial #. (check with your state)

But what if someone stole it and then had second thoughts and then just dropped it off at the side of the road or something?? What if someone reported it as stolen. Then you are in posession of stolen property. Not good. If you could get someone to check the serial # you could trace it easy. I am just saying, make sure it is clean before you fix it up and try to register it.

Just saying. It does look like something that someone abandoned, rather than something someone wanted to steal, but you need to be sure first.

It would be nice when fixed up though.

Dave

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it doesn't need a plate anyway... also there is no registration on it... vin or anything
I am not too worried about it being stolen, because there were 2 charger cops doing radar and I see them there everyday I drive up to my g/f's and they would have known something...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, can't be that hard. I mean, found pieces, put it together myself... restored blah blah. That's a frickin' score. Seriously, that's the kind of abandoned junk you snag first, and worry about the registration later. I agree that you want to be real sure it's abandoned and not stolen, but assuming it's good and clear, that's a major score.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not too worried about it being stolen, because there were 2 charger cops doing radar and I see them there everyday

They probably stole it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
it doesn't need a plate anyway... also there is no registration on it... vin or anything
I am not too worried about it being stolen, because there were 2 charger cops doing radar and I see them there everyday I drive up to my g/f's and they would have known something...

Well, that's good then. I just didn't want to see anyone get into trouble, or put a lot of elbow grease into fixing it up and then have a problem registering it or something.

Once it is fixed up, it will be really nice.

Dave

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, we weren't trying to rain on your parade, just being cautious!

Will be a cool old trailer once its cleaned up. Looks like the first trip will be to the dump to empty it out.. LMAO!!!

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Will be a cool old trailer once its cleaned up. Looks like the first trip will be to the dump to empty it out.. LMAO!!!

Maybe that's why they left it...for some poor unsuspecting person to come and take it away and empty it.....and then they come back for it saying "hey that's my trailer". :p