Got my balls checked... everythings ok!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower ball joints that is. However they did manage to see that my front rotors were warped and had them resurfaced.

Luckily my local 5 star dealer seems pretty honest so far, this being only my 2nd dealing with them. I asked them about a permenant fix and he told me to buy an '06. So am I to guess that '06's have the problem corrected?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got to do a five-tire rotation soon... so I'll have to take a look at them. Thanks for the update.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AtlanticLiberty said:
L
I asked them about a permenant fix and he told me to buy an '06. So am I to guess that '06's have the problem corrected?

I doubt it. Just them trying to sell you a brand new vehicle.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What permanent fix are u looking for? The rotors? Id say they used better rotors on the 06 b/c it has the esp and traction controll so they figured the rotors would see more abuse, so he may be right on that, but u can get good rotors on ur jeep without buying a new jeep.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
What permanent fix are u looking for? The rotors? Id say they used better rotors on the 06 b/c it has the esp and traction controll so they figured the rotors would see more abuse, so he may be right on that, but u can get good rotors on ur jeep without buying a new jeep.

The permanent fix he was referring to (at least, I think) was the ball joint failing problem. Because, from what I've read here and other places, the recall only seems to slow the problem.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AtlanticLiberty said:
jeepjeepster said:

The permanent fix he was referring to (at least, I think) was the ball joint failing problem. Because, from what I've read here and other places, the recall only seems to slow the problem.

You can get beefier duty ball joints with actual grease fittings aftermarket, they are alot better then the ones Jeep installs.

You must be registered for see images

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been following this thread and I'm personally disgusted at what I see as a major problem with these ball joints. You see, an engineer at NCM (New Castle Machine & Forge) created the "Lube for Life" ball joint a few years ago for Chrysler. I worked in this plant on the production floor and when I heard about our plant starting a line dedicated to the production of this part, I was happy at first. This was because the LFL line was gonna save our plant from Sale/Closure in the near future as we'd also be a supplier of this joint to other manufacturers. This was of course, a lie, as the sale of our plant came to pass 2 years ago and I'm still on layoff and waiting for a transfer to another location. But I digress, I thought the LFL ball joint was a good thing...at least for a passenger car. I never thought they would have used them in offroad or heavy duty vehicles. I thought wrong I guess. I know that when I traded my 2002 Ram in for my KJ, it had a nasty habit of popping when i cut the steering wheel lock to lock upon backing outta my garage. It had LFL balls and it was the first year they tried aluminum control arms on a full sized truck (scary). I just hope I don't have these rotor and bj troubles on MY kj like I've been reading about. 8-[ (Aeh)

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Eddo said:
AtlanticLiberty said:
jeepjeepster said:

You can get beefier duty ball joints with actual grease fittings aftermarket, they are alot better then the ones Jeep installs.

You must be registered for see images

That looks great, any part numbers on that?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score