Goodyear Wrangler ST Sidewall Blowout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccodder54

Reaction score
My 2006 Liberty 25K stock Goodyear Wrangler ST front driverside tire side wall split. I was in the passing lane traveling 80mph. I never lost control but it was very scarey. Has anyone hear of this before????

HELP!!!!!!!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard of it, but it's not unimagineable. Have you parallel parked the car lately? Possibly scraped a curb? If so, you could have weakened the sidewall.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, hate to say it, but thats normal since it has the stock goodyears.. Ill never own another goodyear tire..

Glad that you didnt loose control of the thing, and please, get a good quality tire at all four corners. :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tire sidewall blow out is not normal for any tire(even the OEM goodyears),something happened to the tire to cause it to blow out.Could have had a "bubble" devloped,a belt broke,improper tire inflation(tire maintance),tire got cut by something,or a manufacture defect.Tires blow out everyday for different reasons(don't bring up the firestone thing with the exploders,I've seen some of those tires that blew out and they where poorly maintained and bald),you just got unlucky and had it happen to you,get a new tire,inspect the others and drive on.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know thats its not normal tjkj, I was kidding and expressing my hate for goodyear..

I feel like you follow me around on these boards! :rolleyes::)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know thats its not normal tjkj, I was kidding and expressing my hate for goodyear..

I feel like you follow me around on these boards! :rolleyes::)
Just putting my 2 cents and opinions out there,usually after you.

By the way I love GoodYear tires,had 3 sets of there MT/R's(sizes-245/75,225,75,and 265/75) between 2 Jeeps('01 Grand and my '02 KJ) with a total of 100,000(give or take a few hundred miles,had the MT/R's on the grand for 46,000 miles and 54,000 on the KJ before I put on the Trxus MT's) miles with zero flats,even when stored for 2 years.One of my 245/75 MT/R's I had on my grand(then put on my KJ) had 7 nails and one broken off knife blade in it and still didn't leak,I patched it up and ran it for about 10,000 more miles before getting a new set.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MT/R's seem to be a good tire along with the A/T tire they make.. I cannot remember the name of the A/T right now..

Anyway, the HP's that came on my liberty have almost gotten me in a wreck many times.. They cost $130 a tire which is WAY to much for what they are. I wouldnt give $5 for 100 of them.. Then there are the SRA's which also such and cost to much.. I just feel like they make to many tires that suck and cost to much..

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am definitely a BFG A/T guy, but I think you are all way too ******* the GY's. Nothing wrong with them, they are a great tire. No, they aren't a solid off-roading tire. Jeep equipped the Liberty the way they did for a reason - 99% of them see the Mall parking lot. Get a Rubicon, that comes equipped with off-road tires.

It's like stating that the BFG Traction T/A's I have on my Grand Prix are horrible because I can't rock climb with them. They aren't meant to! Neither are the GY's. They are a road tire that can be used on a trail.

Sorry, just had to throw my $.02 in since I see people complaining and saying how they almost died because of Goodyear. Goodyear makes a great tire IMO.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If 99% of the Jeeps see the mall, then Jeep should of at least put a tire on them that can be used at the mall. Many can attest that the tires on the liberty suck no matter what you are doing with your liberty. The only time they perform good is when its sitting in the driveway. Ive given GY a chance many times, these tires are not the only GY tire that Ive had..

Anyway, were getting OT..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I am definitely a BFG A/T guy, but I think you are all way too ******* the GY's. Nothing wrong with them, they are a great tire. No, they aren't a solid off-roading tire. Jeep equipped the Liberty the way they did for a reason - 99% of them see the Mall parking lot. Get a Rubicon, that comes equipped with off-road tires.

It's like stating that the BFG Traction T/A's I have on my Grand Prix are horrible because I can't rock climb with them. They aren't meant to! Neither are the GY's. They are a road tire that can be used on a trail.

Sorry, just had to throw my $.02 in since I see people complaining and saying how they almost died because of Goodyear. Goodyear makes a great tire IMO.

That's what I thought about my Wrangler STs at first.

Then it rained.

Then they got worn down the slightest bit.

Then they slid. ALL the time.

It's a heck of a lot worse when you don't have ABS. Those things will skid even under medium braking. That's my only issue, that and the dips the tires formed. I even had one that was almost impossible to balance. I never knew it because it was the spare.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GY does make good tires but, they cost even more!

That's why you don't see the "good" ones on the stock Jeeps. I had the Goodyear SR-A's or whatever the abbreviation was. Regardless they were decent until about 3K and then I slid around all the time. Especially in rain.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, just enough time to give it a test drive and say the tires are good! Then you drive it home and they suck! Theyve got it all planned out that DC does.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bridgestone Revo is a great A/T tire, but since you do not offroad or anything, then I would stick with a good All Season Tire.

Tirerack.com is great place to look at tires, prices, and the ratings on the tires.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goodyears

I hate the Goodyear's as much as the next guy, but I can't complain about them. Stockers are cheap, and don't last as long as they should. The traction isn't as great as a set of all terrains...but is that the point of all terrains...to have more traction on and off road? I'll hit 40,000 miles tomorrow and I still have a decent amount of tread left. I could probably make them last to 60,000 and the spare has never touched the ground! I keep them inflated to 33 psi and have them rotated and balanced every 12,000 miles.

I've always used BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's and have been wanting to put them on since day one. They usually last me between 70,000 and 80,000 miles, but at $900 for a set of 5 installed, I can't justify spending the money when the stock tires work.

The trails back home are a lot wetter than what I've seen this summer in Colorado, and I'm looking forward to ski season this year, so I will have a set of BFG's around the first of September. I expect to have 50,000 miles, maybe even 55,000 on them by then. I'm going to try to keep as many miles on my stockers and as many off my BFG's as I can.

ccodder54

Reaction score
Thanks to all for responding..... I did some research on these tires too.... Everyone you had them either had sidewall blowouts, flats and fast wear.... great...It kills me to go out and spend 600plus on tires so soon......

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for responding..... I did some research on these tires too.... Everyone you had them either had sidewall blowouts, flats and fast wear.... great...It kills me to go out and spend 600plus on tires so soon......

Trade in the Goodyears. They will give you some money for them since they are brand new.

Latest posts

Members online