Good replacement Tweeters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterAutomatic

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post to the forums, so hello everyone. I work in photo and film production, so I when I was offered a 2004 KJ for a steal of a price, I found it practical for extensive traveling and space for equipment. Being I will spend a good deal of time in my Jeep, the sound department took a great priority. I've already swapped all the door speakers out with JBL GTO638 speakers, but I'm having a hard time locating the most compatible sized tweeters. I was hoping someone could chime in and offer any options.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 could you link your speakers? I might grab new ones this spring, also did you need new clips for the door panels? Ive only taken one off so far and was very gentle

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
About halfway down this page you will find speakers specs concerning size:

2002-2007 Jeep Liberty car audio profile

Dash tweeters

You have a 2.8" 4-ohm tweeter located in each corner of the dash in your Liberty, wired in parallel off the front door speaker. You will have to fabricate mounting brackets to install aftermarket tweeters, but you can keep the factory grilles.

It'll take a little work to access these dash tweeters. You’ll have to remove both pillar trim panels (T20 Torx driver or 5mm ratchet and socket) and pry up the front edge of the dash trimpanel to release 13 metal clips. Two Phillips screws hold the tweeter in place. You’ll need to splice the wiring here just like you did with the door speakers.

Tools needed: Phillips screwdriver, small flat-blade screwdriver, panel tool, wire strippers, crimper and connectors (or Posi-connectors), electrical tape

Pictures of the process are at the page I linked you to. :)

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
audi bahn makes a nice speaker that fits.... o believe it is a 2 1/2
alternatively you could always build speaker pods! .. i

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not tweeters, they are small speakers you can put 3.5 inch speakers in the dash. If you replace them with just tweeters it will not sound rite.

MisterAutomatic

Reaction score
+1 could you link your speakers? I might grab new ones this spring, also did you need new clips for the door panels? Ive only taken one off so far and was very gentle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KN2TF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

None of my door clips popped. They're actually pretty durable, not like my 2004 Chevy Classic was. All of those cheap, crappy clips popped. I've taken my door panels off maybe 3-4 times now, per door. Not one clip was damaged, but I make sure to be careful. I actually took the libery of running speaker wire through the Jeep in case I choose to use my amp, and make the sound system standalone.
They are not tweeters, they are small speakers you can put 3.5 inch speakers in the dash. If you replace them with just tweeters it will not sound rite.

Thanks because the Crutchfield profile I saw a while ago listed them as Tweeters.

Last edited:

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KN2TF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

None of my door clips popped. They're actually pretty durable, not like my 2004 Chevy Classic was. All of those cheap, crappy clips popped. I've taken my door panels off maybe 3-4 times now, per door. Not one clip was damaged, but I make sure to be careful. I actually took the libery of running speaker wire through the Jeep in case I choose to use my amp, and make the sound system standalone.

Thanks because the Crutchfield profile I saw a while ago listed them as Tweeters.
Yikes, in the us they're on sale for 65 a pair, in Canada they're 200 a pair! Probably gona go with some cheaper pyle speakers, my deck only puts out 75w per channel anyway :(

MisterAutomatic

Reaction score
Those speakers will be great! These were the ones I wanted but got polk audio instead and they are not installed just sitting in the box.

Awesome! They sound great. When I have my setup exactly how I want it I will post some vids and pics. I'm currently looking for an Android app that measures decibels because I want to see the difference in HU's when I change them. I spend a lot of time in my vehicle traveling so sound IS VERY important. Hopefully my setup inspires new ideas.

nlocascio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get the 3.5 inch speakers to fit? I bought a pair of pioneer ts-a878 and they don't come close to fitting. What do i have to cut? Drivers side looks like air vent and instrument cluster interfere. Mount them from top maybe?

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NO...ndown+2.75&dpPl=1&dpID=41sKq98mU+L&ref=plSrch

A few dollars more than most would spend, but definitely worth it. They are direct fit, and are a full range speaker with crossover(black thing on the wiring). I have them in my factory dash location, and they blend really well. I have some pioneer TS-T110's that replaced the ones that came with my PPI comp set, but they're mainly to fill the hole in my door panel. I've installed a pair of the sundown 2.75's in a customers customers WJ, and he liked them so much he had me install a pair in his company KK.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dejesu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NO...ndown+2.75&dpPl=1&dpID=41sKq98mU+L&ref=plSrch

A few dollars more than most would spend, but definitely worth it. They are direct fit, and are a full range speaker with crossover(black thing on the wiring). I have them in my factory dash location, and they blend really well. I have some pioneer TS-T110's that replaced the ones that came with my PPI comp set, but they're mainly to fill the hole in my door panel. I've installed a pair of the sundown 2.75's in a customers customers WJ, and he liked them so much he had me install a pair in his company KK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

haha awesome. i'm on Team Sundown Audio and i have a pair of the Neo 2.75's in my soundbar in my KJ. here are the pictures....

nlocascio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the link. But i already have the pioneers and i got them cheap on eBay. When it cools down i guess i will get my dremrel out and start cutting lol i know others have done it with some cutting. nice setup dejesu, but i still want to be able to take more than one passenger lol

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha awesome. i'm on Team Sundown Audio and i have a pair of the Neo 2.75's in my soundbar in my KJ. here are the pictures....

What subs/amps are you running? I burped 140.2 with a pair AB xd8's on a PPI p1000.1, and those little jokers got down.

I caught a deal on 4 bnib d3 10's at crackhead prices, let's just say all 4 were less than an sa8, so I couldn't pass them up. I'm doing one box but 2 chambers and 2 ports, so it will be like 2 separate boxes. I had some wood left over and decided to play with box volume, Port area, and tuning. Going to be 2.8cuft [email protected] and 15.6insq. Port per cube (per pair), or [email protected] & 88sqin port area. Amp is a VFL150.1

What subs/amps are you running? I burped 140.2 with a pair AB xd8's on a PPI p1000.1, and those little jokers got down.

I caught a deal on 4 bnib d3 10's at crackhead prices, let's just say all 4 were less than an sa8, so I couldn't pass them up. I'm doing one box but 2 chambers and 2 ports, so it will be like 2 separate boxes. I had some wood left over and decided to try Qk eiffer3n5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk