Good deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ksp3cialK

Reaction score
So I have a chance to get a 2004 2wd for $500 with a clean title. Owner says his mechanic stated it needs a head gasket and failed a compression test on cylinder 3. It is also throwing a misfire code on my scanner.

Upon inspection, it has a new radiator, thermostat and a battery. The truck runs and will idle with a barley noticable miss but you have to really listen. Coolant looks fine but I forgot to check the oil. It's a southern truck and I couldn't find any rust.

Any ideas what the cause could be? I'm doubting it's a head gasket but maybe a valve issue? I don't know if it slowly looses compression or if it's non existent. But since it idled fine I would guess it has some. This is also a v6.

Thank you in advance!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have a chance to get a 2004 2wd for $500 with a clean title. Owner says his mechanic stated it needs a head gasket and failed a compression test on cylinder 3. It is also throwing a misfire code on my scanner.

Upon inspection, it has a new radiator, thermostat and a battery. The truck runs and will idle with a barley noticable miss but you have to really listen. Coolant looks fine but I forgot to check the oil. It's a southern truck and I couldn't find any rust.

Any ideas what the cause could be? I'm doubting it's a head gasket but maybe a valve issue? I don't know if it slowly looses compression or if it's non existent. But since it idled fine I would guess it has some. This is also a v6.

Thank you in advance!

Over the years I have been " offered " deals like this, very few I actually came out ahead on since there were always bigger things to repair/ replace than what was actually described in the beginning .
Plus first you have a 2 wheel drive, not many looking for one of those in the first place.
If you think its a great deal, just be very cautious and be prepared to even go as far as replacing the motor .
Sounds like someone has put quite a bit into it and finally hit a roadblock.
When they say' My mechanic said..........................." beware

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Even tho $500 is cheap...How many miles on odometer?
Keep in mind "Repairing the Jeep" May not be Cheap !
I hear potential engine problems and think I'd pass, it is only a 2WD.
Folks want 4x4's for any resale as well.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$500 for all good body panels, a decent interior, and disc brake rear end.... not half bad.

Depends what you need/want.

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$500 for all good body panels, a decent interior, and disc brake rear end.... not half bad.

Depends what you need/want.

Part-out was my thoughts as well. I mean, I paid $200 just for a rear axle assembly for my '05.