GF wants a Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm fine with 2WD. Our winters haven't been that bad, never do any off roading, commute to work will be short and off highway if weather is bad anyways. Also, we have a relative that works at a tire shop, so swapping on a set of snow tires for 4 months won't be a big deal. I see it as better fuel economy and less moving parts to fix. It will be harder to sell in this area, but if al goes well and we keep it 6 or 7 years, then it will probably only make the difference of $500 when its only worth $3000 anyways.

Eh I'd still say the 4WD is an investment. It's great peace of mind in the snow...and if any of the 4WD components break, just pull the front driveshaft and stay in 2WD. Then you have the equivalent of a 2WD KJ. You're not going to improve gas mileage by much in a 2WD. Maybe 1-2MPG MAX. And even then probably not. The mileage is ugly either way.

mcgavinz26

Reaction score
What is the size difference from the Renegade wheels to the base wheels or all KJ wheels the same size?

mcgavinz26

Reaction score
All the same size

That is awesome. So if I don't get a Renegade, I could still keep an eye out for the wheels and swap those over. Or I could put the snow tires on the original rims and keep the Renegade wheels for summer.

Any special way to go about getting Renegade rims besides Craigslist/ebay/car-parts.com?

Rogue

Reaction score
Special way? You could meet the guy on the corner of 14th & E and give him the super special secret handshake :gayfight:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is awesome. So if I don't get a Renegade, I could still keep an eye out for the wheels and swap those over. Or I could put the snow tires on the original rims and keep the Renegade wheels for summer.

Any special way to go about getting Renegade rims besides Craigslist/ebay/car-parts.com?

People sell em here sometimes!

mcgavinz26

Reaction score
Special way? You could meet the guy on the corner of 14th & E and give him the super special secret handshake :gayfight:
Thats too funny. I'll pass on that :icon_biggrin:

I've worked on quite a few different cars but never owned anything other than a GM product. This whole Mopar world is new to me. Not sure how you people operate. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything going on I didn't know about like a Jeep only craigslist or something that people actually used. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats too funny. I'll pass on that :icon_biggrin:

I've worked on quite a few different cars but never owned anything other than a GM product. This whole Mopar world is new to me. Not sure how you people operate. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything going on I didn't know about like a Jeep only craigslist or something that people actually used. :)
Mopar world is no different than any other brand.
If you are truly a gearhead it doesn't matter the brand, but the way the build is done and how its executed. Finding parts is the same as well, talk to the owners of Brand X, see where they deal, what they use and take it from there.

mcgavinz26

Reaction score
Found one and bought it. I'll spare you guys the story, but I'm glad I have good friends that know cars all over the place. I found the car in southern Georgia and somehow it was barely out of my buddy's way to inspect the car and drive it all but 3 hours away from my house in metro Detroit. It is an '05 Renegade with the plastic bumpers, tan color inside and out. One older owner who took amazing care of the car. It has 96k miles on it, but in the last two years its had new brakes, shocks all around, all new front ball joints and control arms, fluids all changed, new alternator, and a few other things. It will need tires in about a year, but thats it. We paid $8k. The interior is spotless. I don't think it ever did any offroading. Has a Sunroof like the woman wanted too. It was in GA its whole life and kept under a car port too. Ready for a life of salt in MI now.

The only thing thats bugging me is that the rear driver side window works but is shaky on the way up. Also, the switch in the front by the driver for that window does not seem to do anything for it. So the window only works if the rear switch is used, and it looks like it could stop working soon with the way it moves.

I'm just looking forward to not driving the Patriot of her's anymore. Definitely liking the Renegade more.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new Jeep - it sounds like quite a find! :happy107:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good price - and seems a lot of good maintenance was done to it.

What transfer case does it have? Does it have 4 positions on the shift handle or 5?

Now that it gets to live in the salt belt be sure to wash the underside with just as much care as the body. These Jeeps hold up really well and are built to be beat on but you'll be much happier with it's longevity if you take care to wash the salt off underneath.

Lots of mods can be made to the Liberty very inexpensively that will make it very unique to you.

Welcome to the KJ world! :happy107:

Bob

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you lift it it's much more easy to clean the underside. Reason #29 of the Jeep code of why you should lift it. Nice Jeep

markjames

Reaction score
I am new to the community and have a question. My 2002 Jeep Liberty is missing the hose coming of the plastic piece attached to the TB (it is gone on both sides). I have found a house for the left side and not the right, also I can not find the place where the hose attaches to on the engine. Can anybody help?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I think the one on the right goes to the brake booster but a picture would help alot.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but it does make the roof more challenging ;) ... shhhh

I was standing next to a stocker today. I could see the roof and I was in awe of how easy it would be to clean. Then I looked at the clearance.. :)

markjames

Reaction score
Here are some pictures where the hoses are missing. I can't figure out where they go...
You must be registered for see images attach

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures where the hoses are missing. I can't figure out where they go...

Those each go to a fitting on the cylinder heads right up against the firewall and recirculate the cylinder head air. Don't know that they would cause the engine to stall but they may cause the computer to throw a vacuum leak code (either P0171 or P0174 or both.) There is a check valve in line on the passenger side for sure - the driver's side I can't remember.

You can go to any auto parts store and get a length of 5/8" ID hose and replace them, but you may have to go to the dealer to get the check valve that goes in line.

Hope this helps!

Bob