Getting under middle hole for lightbar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmark

Reaction score
Hey again,

as mentioned in my previous thread, I had a nutsert issue when i put the middle bolt in my lightbar, the hole egged and i ended up having to make it 1/2" to de-egg it. I'd like to plug the hole by running a bolt with metal and rubber washers on both sides. How can i get under this one? theres a white plastic piece in front of the map lights that make accessing the roof in this area difficult. all i need to do is get a wrench back there so i can run the bolt in. (tried a well nut and plugs, I'd prefer something STRONG and permanent)

ohaness

Reaction score
Are there not fuel tank repair kits that allow you to plug a hole that obviously seal properly from the outside? I have not personally used one nor do I know the dimension of hole it will plug. YOu may want ot call your local NAPA and see what they may have to plug a hole in sheetmetal.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It you don't need the fastener strength to hold down the lightbar you could get away with a rubber body plug and a bit of rtv sealant around the edge of the hole. I pop those into holes after removing antenna mounts or such. They come in many sizes and most body shops will have a selection on hand, 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 7/8" are the most common but you can find them bigger or smaller.

I wouldn't think leaving that one bolt out would make a big difference, i would just pop in a rubber hole plug and forget about it.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jmark

Reaction score
How about one of those rubber nuts?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150381821236&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You can use it to make up for the excess space.

I'm actually thinking of using those to hold my light bar down instead of the metal ones.

Give us a photo of what you have in hands.

I'm about to begin installing a light bar myself and would like to know as much as I can on the subject

I tried one of those, the 1/2" one, i think i need a 5/8, i rtv'ed the hell out of it, if i can find a body plug that'll fit, i'd rather use that.

Jmark

Reaction score
If you have the covers off, the lightbar acts as an air scoop...I doubt those rubber things will hold it down at 80Mph. JMARK, why don't you fit a 1/2" thread-rivet and a bigger bolt?

Problem solved imo.

if i could find a 1/2 thread rivet, i'd love to fit a bigger bolt!

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the covers off, the lightbar acts as an air scoop...I doubt those rubber things will hold it down at 80Mph.

OOPSSS!!!!:eek:
Never thought about that... I was just about to install my bar with those rubber nutzerts instead of the metal ones. only because I don't have a nuzert gun.