Getting the "random misfire" code, but driving is smooth and no CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting the CEL along with the codes for random misfire, cylinder 2 misfire and insufficient ionisation in cylinder 5. I decided to replace all the plugs and coils - all but coil #1 were the 2005 factory originals.

The KJ now has noticeably more zip when pulling away from stationary. I wasn't able to reset the codes (I don't have a scan tool that will do it), but the CEL has stayed off. Today, two weeks after replacing the plugs and coils, even though there was no CEL I did the key dance just to see if I got a code, and there was P0300 (random misfire).

If the engine is randomly misfiring, should I feel it? Because I don't. The engine seems perfectly smooth with no hesitation or stumbling. The only thing I do notice is occasional vibration at idle, just barely enough to feel through the seat of my pants but which my wife doesn't notice at all. I had mentally put this down to worn motor mounts, since the rev counter never wobbles and the engine never changes note when I feel the vibration.

Given that the CEL isn't coming on and I can't detect any obvious symptoms of misfiring, is this P0300 code something I can more-or-less ignore?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the CEL has stayed off I believe you're in the clear. Since you don't have a scanner to clear codes the P0300 could just be an old code - that's why it's not triggering the CEL.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online