General/Suspension maintenance...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoVA_KJ

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've owned my 2006 KJ 3.7/4x4 for almost a year now and I've been very pleased minus the poor fuel economy. Anyway, I bought it with almost 87k miles, so I immediately did the following:

- BG Fuel line/driveline/engine block/******/power steering/brake line flush
- New brake disks and pads
- Salvaged AC Compressor (bearing in the old one was about to go and the salvage was from an '06 with just 18k...cost me just $175)
- New serpentine belt
- BFG TA/KO tires (235/70/R16)
- NGK iridium spark plugs

I also ran BG44k three times (most recently in September)

In the next month, I'll be doing the following:

- New PCV valve
- Switch to German Castrol 0W30
- PureONE oil filter

Which (finally) leads to my question...what type of maintenance do you recommend I do on the suspension? There isn't much in the owner's manual. Obviously the answer will be based on my needs, so I'll be as clear as I can on that front. I rarely go off roading. When I do, it's nothing more than dirt roads around a lake to go camping/fishing. I eventually want to get an OME lift kit and become more serious about offroading since one of my buddies is a diehard Jeep guy with a tricked out Wrangler, but not for a few more years (I plan on owning this KJ till it can't run anymore). So, basically, I want a slightly better than stock suspension that is set up for a 2" lift in the future. Any advice would be appreciated!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There isn't much you can do for the suspension, except keep it clean in the winter so rust doesn't build up.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lube (silicone not oil based) the sway bar bushings and that's pretty much it. The rest is sealed from the factory (ball joints / driveshaft)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I always like to read " I never go off road much just dirt roads mostlt DD etc.
I can never fiqure out what that means? Don't you want a good ride all the time? I mean when you ride in something every day I want the best ride possible which we know is not from the stock weak suspension. UPGRADE to OME springs a good set of shocks all the way around. It will handle better going down the road, hitting railroad tracks etc . Then when you go off road you're ready as well.
You didn't say how many miles now but the stock suspension startes to go at 30,000 miles or so, you don't notice it due to you driving it everyday but once you upgrade you'll soon fel and see the difference.
Nothing you can do with the stock junk springs just upgrade to OMEs and be done! You'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
For the ones that say Oh mine rides as good as new with 100,000 on it, they are only kidding themselves
Sermon over
Re. Mudd

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I always like to read " I never go off road much just dirt roads mostlt DD etc.
I can never fiqure out what that means? Don't you want a good ride all the time? I mean when you ride in something every day I want the best ride possible which we know is not from the stock weak suspension. UPGRADE to OME springs a good set of shocks all the way around. It will handle better going down the road, hitting railroad tracks etc . Then when you go off road you're ready as well.
You didn't say how many miles now but the stock suspension startes to go at 30,000 miles or so, you don't notice it due to you driving it everyday but once you upgrade you'll soon fel and see the difference.
Nothing you can do with the stock junk springs just upgrade to OMEs and be done! You'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
For the ones that say Oh mine rides as good as new with 100,000 on it, they are only kidding themselves
Sermon over
Re. Mudd

I do believe the Rev. is correct on this :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also agree with Tommudd.

Dave

NoVA_KJ

Reaction score
I should rephrase that I intended to "upgrade" my suspension, but keep stock ride height (or close to it) by switching out the shocks and springs. I wanted to know if there were any other components I should upgrade as well that would more easily set me up for a lift in the future (i.e. bushings, ball joints, etc.). Thanks for the info.