Gas smell in oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was checking my oil levels earlier and I noticed on the dipstick the oil has a strong gasoline smell. Any idea what the cause if this could be? I'm assuming it's something pretty bad and expensive.

It's a 2006 v6 with 100k miles exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine running rich, or a leaky fuel injector dribbling gas down a cylinder as it sits. No check engine light on?

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an oil analysis done. Could be due to cold weather running rich, like he said.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have no CEL at all. I think it might be an injector issue just starting to act up. Yesterday I would start the jeep and it would die right away the first time. The second time it would start and almost die and be a rough idle. If I shut it off and started it a third time it would start and idle perfectly. It only did this twice while I was out and about with no CEL showing up. That coupled with bad gas mileage and the smell on the dipstick I'm wondering if it's a fuel injector issue.

Is it pretty simple to replace the injectors? Ive looked around online at prices of injectors and the prices seem to very by a large amount (from $40 each to $200-$300 each). I couldn't really find much on here regarding replacing them or a how to (mostly just topics on upgrading the injectors). I figured I'd do this, Replace the plugs, Clean the throttle body etc and see how things are after that 3 hit combo.

Or should I look in to just a Fuel Injector cleaning at a shop before going all in on changing out parts?

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have no CEL at all. I think it might be an injector issue just starting to act up. Yesterday I would start the jeep and it would die right away the first time. The second time it would start and almost die and be a rough idle. If I shut it off and started it a third time it would start and idle perfectly. It only did this twice while I was out and about with no CEL showing up. That coupled with bad gas mileage and the smell on the dipstick I'm wondering if it's a fuel injector issue.

Is it pretty simple to replace the injectors? Ive looked around online at prices of injectors and the prices seem to very by a large amount (from $40 each to $200-$300 each). I couldn't really find much on here regarding replacing them or a how to (mostly just topics on upgrading the injectors). I figured I'd do this, Replace the plugs, Clean the throttle body etc and see how things are after that 3 hit combo.

Or should I look in to just a Fuel Injector cleaning at a shop before going all in on changing out parts?

I would go in order of the cheapest first, clean the throttle body, plugs and than the injectors. If one doesn't work move on to the next pretty much process of elimination. Maybe it could be a coil pack issue?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do that, or first try running some fuel injector cleaner through it. A fuel pressure test will tell right off if you have an internal fuel leaking problem. After the engine is shut off, pressure should hold for a short while. If it drops fast, leaky injector(s) are suspect (based on your described symptoms).

Members online

No members online now.