Gas Pedal Sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bushmonster73

Reaction score
I searched on the forums but did not see any posts on this. Recently I have had an issue with the gas pedal sticking. It seems to only happen when flooring it and then letting off, it stays floored. I thought at first it was because of my big ol' boots but it has happened a few times now. I have checked the throttle linkage and function which appears to be fine. Please help.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gas pedal isn't getting stuck under the floor mat, is it?

Only thing I can think is the cable is bound up somewhere. Not sure how hard it is to replace.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the engine off, have someone step on the gas pedal and let up while you take a peek under the hood. Maybe the cable is getting frayed and hanging up.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Take intake hose off into the the throttle body. Sometimes the butterfly or throttle plate is sticking due to carbon build ups around the plate.
Sticking can easily be seen when it it wide open etc. Have some throttle body cleaner handy and give it a blast....in and around in there.
I used precision Q-tips soaked with carb cleaner on the edges of the plate as it was real nasty.
Does not take much for it want to stick either. The bores have to be clean too.
I doubt it is the cable but ya never know...

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the engine off, have someone step on the gas pedal and let up while you take a peek under the hood. Maybe the cable is getting frayed and hanging up.

Take intake hose off into the the throttle body. Sometimes the butterfly or throttle plate is sticking due to carbon build ups around the plate.
Sticking can easily be seen when it it wide open etc. Have some throttle body cleaner handy and give it a blast....in and around in there.
I used precision Q-tips soaked with carb cleaner on the edges of the plate as it was real nasty.
Does not take much for it want to stick either. The bores have to be clean too.
I doubt it is the cable but ya never know...

Do This!!!! The helper thing is a definite so you can see whats happening. I've had this happen on a couple vehicles and it always seems related to the butterfly. Either the pivot itself or the return spring/mechanism getting all gummed up. I just cleaned it up real well with carb cleaner (I think I used some MAF cleaner once in a pinch) and reapplied the white lithium that was originally on it. That grease is probably only good for so long and it gets a bit firm and dirty.

Probably better choices out there, Anyone??

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never spray carb cleaner on the inside. Some throttle bodies have a factory coating on the throat that keeps the surface slick and helps prevent corrosion and other build up. Carb cleaner can attack this coating, which is why there is a designated less harsh t.b. cleaner. Ours may or may not have a coating, but doesn't matter. Throttle body cleaner takes longer to dry, which gives it more time to soak into and loosen built up crud.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think our TB intakes are that fancy & coated with Teflon. Question for Troy/Tom.
I still would only use Throttle body spray in there as already mentioned.
The carb cleaner is much stronger though for really removing harsh build ups, which is why I used it only, on the outside outer edge of plate.
I then coated the edge with a sniff of trumpet oil.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I bet a lot of you guys oil your instrument regularly. :happy175:

Bushmonster73

Reaction score
After checking the butterfly, spring and cable from the outside, which all seemed to work smoothly I went back to the pedal and it was still binding. I pulled open the cover under the steering wheel and then tried the pedal again. Sure as s**t it was catching on a wiring harness. I secured the harness up out of the way with some electrical tape and all is good again. Thanks for all of the ideas and posts, maybe it will help some of our other KJ buddies. I'm just glad I figured it out before it got really stuck while driving because my 16 year old drives it whenever I'm not.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great find!

BTW, I am not trying to be critical of you but can you use a ziptie on top of the electrical tape to secure it?

I don't trust tape to secure the wiring harness out of the way of the throttle cable.

Last edited:

Bushmonster73

Reaction score
I was trying to find one but didn't have one at the house. I was planning on getting some today and use them, there were several harnesses that were a bit loose.

Members online

No members online now.