Gas Mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rider

Reaction score
So what are you guys getting for gas mileage? Mine is getting 12.2mpg per the trip computer. 100% bone stock with factory size tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So what are you guys getting for gas mileage? Mine is getting 12.2mpg per the trip computer. 100% bone stock with factory size tires.

Is that in and out of town or ??
Driving style?
Recent tune up?
maintenece kept up?
summer time or winter ?? Makes a huge difference
summer mine get
04 lifted over 4 inches , 32 inch tires and 4.10 gears gets about 21-22 on the highway and if I stay off the right pedal in town about 16-17
03 gets about 19-20 on the highway and 15-16 in town( thats lifted but still stock tires
Both on the highway is 75 plus
The 05 gets about 20 on the highway as well

Rider

Reaction score
Is that in and out of town or ??
Driving style?
Recent tune up?
maintenece kept up?
summer time or winter ?? Makes a huge difference
summer mine get
04 lifted over 4 inches , 32 inch tires and 4.10 gears gets about 21-22 on the highway and if I stay off the right pedal in town about 16-17
03 gets about 19-20 on the highway and 15-16 in town( thats lifted but still stock tires
Both on the highway is 75 plus
The 05 gets about 20 on the highway as well

12.2 is in town, normal driving. Just bought it so I dont know about the maintenance history. I dont know how long ago the trip computer was reset so that is at least as long as I have had the car which is a month.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I get about 12mpg in town 17 hwy, but I am lifted with 17" wider tires.
Try filling up til it shuts off, reset odometer, and drive normal for half a tank, then refill and mark down fuel usage/mileage, and try a manual calculation for mpg.
Things you can do to improve fuel mileage: Ensure no stored engine codes/light.
Empty Jeep of all extra cargo weight.
Add 4 psi more than door sticker for tire pressure.
Full tune up. New OEM /NGK spark plugs,synthetic engine oil, clean IAC/ throttle body, new air filter.
Rear diff, can reduce mileage if dirty & requires new 75w-90 every 20k if not towing and trac-lok requires friction modifier.
Check owners manual for front diff/transfer case lube requirement and get em all new / clean!
I really don't worry too much about mileage. It is a safe heavy 4x4 that gets a job done well. :gr_grin:
Lifted, it is like a brick driving down the road. It is not an aerodynamic Honda.
I like my Jeep even though it is a...
55727[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• guzzler%20rated4.jpg
    guzzler%20rated4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am bone stock, I do mostly city and I drive like my grandmother and I get between 11 and 14 depending on the temperature (if I get to do any highway).

You definitely don't buy a Liberty to save on gas money.
Acetone anyone?

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my 2005 4x4 3.7l auto with stock sized tires and stock suspension I get ~8mpg all city in the winter, ~13mpg all city in summer, ~21mpg 100% highway in summer w/ ac on.

I don't drive mine in the city anymore. It was cheaper to get a small car city commuting.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang, I got almost 17mpg on my last fill up. That is calculated and about 60/40 city highway, no lift, slightly oversize tires. I'm happy with that.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first got the libby she was around 14-15m pg hwy. Best I have managed to squeeze out of her so far was 18.5mpg running on ethanol free gas and in the mountains here between TN and NC. I would like to get her closer to 20 though.

I feel like the wife gets better mileage when she drives it, even through the mountains. That could be because I dont like slowing down going up hill so I am usually in the throttle a little harder than she is.

Im looking to get a Jeep SRT8 as my new vehicle so the libby's mileage looks amazing compared to that thing!

Mjewell

Reaction score
I get 17 around town, 235/70 tires running midgrade with ethanol, going to try 91 octane no ethanol and see if it helps, worked great on my VW Passat

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad I don't have some of your rigs, dang some not getting any mileage at all.
Maybe I tend to treat mine too well with maintenance even before its needed or something. :shrug:
But don't baby it, hit the rev limiter on the 03 4 times this morning with in 5 miles taking my son to work !:happy175: Got to keep them blown out and happy

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I don't have some of your rigs, dang some not getting any mileage at all.
Maybe I tend to treat mine too well with maintenance even before its needed or something. :shrug:
But don't baby it, hit the rev limiter on the 03 4 times this morning with in 5 miles taking my son to work !:happy175: Got to keep them blown out and happy

Id love to have your mileage lol. I am bringing her up to par for my maintenance requirements, previous owner did the minimum I think. She is clean and was well cared for but I think they waited til it needed to be addressed instead of addressing it as preventative measure as I do. When I drive the libby she definitely sees higher RPMs than she does when the wife drives her :gr_grin:

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironman suspension (1.5" lift) and General Grabber tires (stock size 16s):
16-17 mpg in the city and anywhere from 19-21 highway (depends on 55 vs 70).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as highway speed, my 04 , over 4 inches of lift, 32s, 4.10s etc seemed to lug at 70, so it actually got better mileage at 74-76 on the open road
The 03 even with just small 2.5 inch lift and stock tires gets better at about 72-74 , will be interesting to see what it does with bigger tires ( 265-70-16s and 4.10s )

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little FYI for those who like to play with numbers....
If you're like me, and have taller tires but kept the stock gears, your gas mileage figures are WRONG. With taller tires, you are traveling a further distance than what the odometer is registering, and going faster than what the speedo shows.
In my case, my mpg math (gallons used to miles traveled) says I'm getting an average of 14 mpg combination driving. But, my size tires turn 656 revolutions per mile vs the stock tires 720 revolutions per mile. Which means for every mile, the tires are turning 91% less than the amount of what the original tires were. Simply put, I'm actually getting a good amount better gas mileage than it appears. My "14 mpg" is an actual 15.4 mpg (15.4x91%=14). So those who get a sudden (omg) huge drop in mpg, remember a good part of the artificial drop is due to false math.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm busy trying to figure out how many miles per quart of oil I get on the old 2002!!!:)