Gas Mileage?!?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright Im sure this is a well known topic but what is our gas mileage supposed to be like - I kid you not Ive never gone through Gas like this.

2002 Jeep Liberty. I put 7 Gallons of fuel in, and I think I get about 100 Miles out of it. I have General AT 2 tires on there but that should impact things.

On my Grand Prix I put 7 gallons of fuel in I get no less than 150 in.

If Memory serves me correct 100/7 = 14 and some change, I also have the air on and all my driving is via highway.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get between 16-18. The best I ever got was 20 mpg (just once) on a road trip. I just did a complete tune up including cleaning the injectors and throttle body, and no increase in mileage.

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get between 16-18. The best I ever got was 20 mpg (just once) on a road trip. I just did a complete tune up including cleaning the injectors and throttle body, and no increase in mileage.

Bummer :(

Okay two more questions:

1. How big is the tank on the Jeep I imagine 16 if not 20?

2. I'm hearing a BAD Klunk in my front end. Namely when Im turning - Im scared it could be Ball Joints again its a weird klunking noise :(

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy I wish I got 14mpg,I average about 10 in town(sometimes I reach 16-17mpg on the highway).The '02 KJ has a 18.5 gallon tank.As far as the clunk,better check those ball joints,swaybar end links,and/or if the noise is more a click,click while turning better check the CV joints.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The A/T tires can hurt gas mileage. The more aggressive the tread pattern, then more it will drop. The Grabbers are also heavier than the stock tires.. Thats one reason why I didnt go with those tires.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've hit 24 a few different times with mine on trips. Lately on trips I've been getting 22-23 though, running the A/C. Around town and to work I've been getting 17-18.

I'm not sure how you're coming to your mpg is an accurate assumption...if you put 7 gallons in, how do you know how much you got out of it...fill your tank, reset your trip odometer, and next time you fill up take the gallons of gas it took to fill the tank back up and divide that into the milage on your trip odometer...that's the best way to do it if you don't have an EVIC.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple things though:

1.) Keep RPM's from going over 2500, unless passing.
2.) Make sure there is proper air pressure in your tires.
3.) A/C will reduce MPG.

But the BIG one is this, and I just did it last week and found amazing results, SEAFOAM!! I ran seafoam through my throttle body and added it to my fuel. I cannot believe it but I have an increase of over 1MPG. To me that is sufficient as I was seeing high 14's and very low 15's. Now I'm over 16MPG which really helps. I think it was TJKJ who said that Seafoam won't give you higher MPG's, it will just get back your original MPG's that have been lost over the years. I truly believe this now.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple things though:

1.) Keep RPM's from going over 2500, unless passing.
2.) Make sure there is proper air pressure in your tires.
3.) A/C will reduce MPG.

But the BIG one is this, and I just did it last week and found amazing results, SEAFOAM!! I ran seafoam through my throttle body and added it to my fuel. I cannot believe it but I have an increase of over 1MPG. To me that is sufficient as I was seeing high 14's and very low 15's. Now I'm over 16MPG which really helps. I think it was TJKJ who said that Seafoam won't give you higher MPG's, it will just get back your original MPG's that have been lost over the years. I truly believe this now.

Which vac line did you use to put it through the engine?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't use a vac line just straight into the TB. I ran it through slowly while manually keeping it revved enough to open the TB and see the stuff suck right in. Near the end I poured a little quicker and the engine stumbled a lot. I then turned it off, waited, came back and started her up. Smoked a little and let it ran for about 15 minutes. I used about 2/3 of the bottle and dumped the rest into my gas tank.

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My average last week was about 14.8 city and hwy didn't really use the a/c. Filled up this morning and reset the evic 13.5pmg a/c on and 70-80 on the hwy all the way to work.

Latest posts

Members online