" fully adaptive " ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i was reading the 42rle section on the automatic transmission of my Jeep in the service manual. and it says " Control of the transmission is accomplished by fully adaptive electronics. " so is this just Chrysler trying to make this transmission sound sophisticated, or does this transmission actually "learn" to shift the way according how i drive? if it does "learn" to shift according how i drive, is there a procedure i have to do in order to make it Learn me from the previous owner (i have owned this for about 2-3 weeks).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Is your 42rle shifting strange or not shifting when you want it to? Note to drop that pan,get a new filter, and ATF+4 every 50k miles is good maintenance.
According to what I know, it is suppose to be adaptive and learn your driving habits/shifts over a period of time.
The dealer can also program or instruct a Transmission Quick Re-learn to reset it.
Here is an interesting read: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/42rle-adaptive-learning-reset.34929/

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it is adaptive to a point
For example , I did this many times on the 04 and a few now on the 03, I would disconnect the battery cables , touch them together for 30-40 minutes then reattach
Next take it out and drive it like I do, hammer down starts, etc and it would learn my driving habits.
NOW, when I lived in the " city" and had a job that only required me to drive 3-4 miles a day back and forth to work, sadly it relearned that driving pattern, so would have to reset it before long trips
Have done quite a few others as well and everyone said they could notice a difference
NOW if it was in our heads or actually did, well that is for another discussion

OH and was told about this by a Certified Jeep Tech that had a KJ

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm..quote worked, but you have to type a reply now...

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your 42rle shifting strange or not when you want it to?
it was doing a few things that i didn't like the feel of. 1) it shifts great 1,2,and 3rd gear, but the shift to 4 was a little soft, plus the od lock up was really funky sometimes. when i initially checked the fluid, it was WAY OVER FULL. it turned out to be 2 full quarts over full. so i immediately knew that being overfull can be a problem. but draining that out did not really address the issue. so i did a transmission fluid and filter change, making certain to use atf+4 fluid. the two (old and new) do not smell the same. so it may be that the fluid was the wrong type, or the smell changes as the oil heat cycles who knows how many thousands of times. someone had definitly changed it at some point, as the sealing "patch" or washer or ??? was missing, and the 3/4 of a tube of silicone rubber to seal the pan was spewed out everywhere. so the one thing i noticed immediately that was different was that the Jeep acted more like a normal automatic trans. it kind of lurches when i put it into gear like all automatics do. i have only driven it one time (aprox. 25 miles) today. before, it was hard to tell if it had actually gone into gear. upon driving it today, the 3-4 shift was much better, and the converter lock up was better (no more shuttering) but i wouldn't say that it was firm.
Yes it is adaptive to a point
For example , I did this many times on the 04 and a few now on the 03, I would disconnect the battery cables , touch them together for 30-40 minutes then reattach
Thanks tommudd, now that i know this, i will remove the cables and try doing that. if i can keep it from having to "unlearn" someone elses's driving habits, well that's half the battle isnt it? is it necessary to jump the cables together all that time? i was a pretty good wrench back when i could work. but i have tried my best to stay as far away from electronics as much as i could. but my left knee is now so bad it makes driving a stick shift car pretty difficult.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear things are improving. Another drain in the future would be recommended, if you think the wrong fluid was used.
Lurching slightly is normal on mine when cold, when you first place into drive. I take it easy for the first 10 min of driving until system warms up a bit.
When it is winter or really cold out, the trans may not shift into OD immediately, until it senses that it is up to normal operating temperature.
Permatex 81180 Auto Trans RTV is a good gasket maker/sealant.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Permatex 81180 Auto Trans RTV is a good gasket maker/sealant.

the trans. filter came with a fairly thick rubber gasket, so that is what i used. one thing i learned decades ago, is that a gasket serves 2 purposes. 1) to seal 2 surfaces, and 2) to serve as a spacer of sorts. take away the gasket and you are altering the clearance between items. most of the times, its not critical. but sometimes it is.