Full Sunthetic??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubba

Reaction score
Just registered folks - I have been reading through the forums all day - particularly gas mileage threads and was wondering if anyone had tried changing there fluids out IE - mobile one synthetic engine oil and then royal purple synthetics for the ****** and rear end. Any thoughts? I have 2000 miles on the lib now and plan on doing this before a 1400 mile round trip at the end of august.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF +4 is synthetic. The rear and front (if you have 4x4) comes with synthetic from the factory. I wouldn't monkey around with the ****** fluid unless you want problems.

If you want full synthetic for the engine get Mobil1 EP. Best for the money.

you'll hardly notice a difference anyway.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've run dyno and synthetic.

No difference in fuel economy.

None.

As rockymountain said, do NOT USE ANYTHING BUT authentic Chrysler ATF+4 in the transmission, period.... unless you want to replace it in 20,000 miles, or less.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on leave your ATF +4 well alone unless its to replace it / flush it with mopar atf +4. no additives, or other products. Same story for transfer case, atf+4.

The rest is basically preference regarding engine oil and diff fluid. regular diff oil is much cheaper then the synthetic and just as functional if not more highly regarded here.

I run synthetic engine oil but still change every 5000 km (3000 miles). Mobile one is just fine to use for engine, at least after its broken in.

bubba

Reaction score
So no point in changing anything as far as mileage goes. That ***** I am still going to change to mobile one synthetic. Whats break in for the 3.7? Anything else to consider for mileage? I am not sure I buy into the k and n intake and the exhaust for better mileage? anybody have better idle or smoother idle by changing plugs or anything. am i just ******* up a rope here?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So no point in changing anything as far as mileage goes. That ***** I am still going to change to mobile one synthetic. Whats break in for the 3.7? Anything else to consider for mileage? I am not sure I buy into the k and n intake and the exhaust for better mileage? anybody have better idle or smoother idle by changing plugs or anything. am i just ******* up a rope here?

Not sure how many miles it takes to actually break in a modern engine. What I did was change oil at 1,000 miles and then let it go 3,000 and changed it again and then the next change went to synthetic. More for synthetics better lubricating qualities over dino than fuel economy.

K&N intake setup just ***** hot air from the engine bay while the OEM intake forces colder outside air from the front grill.

For plugs use the copper core OEM NGK's and they show wear about every 30K or so. Change them (and the PCV) while you are at it. Or some on here have used the Autolite double platinums with good results.

I don't think you can improve the exhaust much as it is pretty free flowing.

That's prettty much the conscensus of peoples experience on here.

You got a 4,200lb pig with the aerodynamics of a brick. But you got a Jeep so go have fun in 4WD and enjoy it.

Dave

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow alot of complaints about changing trans fluid here apparently. I switched to Mobil 1 on all fluids at 30K. I've had the same mobil 1 in the trans now for over 70K and am just thinking of changing it. Time to do trans, transfer, and dif again they are past due. Not to sure on the Full syn thing with Mopar ATF +4 it may be, but I don't believe so if it is it's got to be one of the cheapest full syn trans fluids on the market. back when it was new and only available through Dodge I used to get it for 3.65 a quart. Now a days I suggest Valvoline for everything since getting to know the product it's amazing. There High mileage trans fluid is possibly the best trans fluid on the market.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valvoline ATF+4 in the transfer case.
Pennzoil lube in the trans (only one I could find locally that had the right spec stuff)
Lucas Oil 85w140 full synth in the diffs.
that was at 30k

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run mobile 1 full Synth in the motor. Helps out greatly with the yellow sluge that appears in the oil fill tube due to moisture and short trips. I change it out every 6 months (March and September). I barely put 4000 a year on. I could probably go once a year with an oil change if I wanted but leaving oil that long in the motor doesn't sit right with me.

baer jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installed e3 spark plugs. idol smoothed out some. unfortunately i cant say the plugs them self made a change as the plugs that were in were at the end of their life so i think any spark plug would have done the same thing

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow alot of complaints about changing trans fluid here apparently. I switched to Mobil 1 on all fluids at 30K. I've had the same mobil 1 in the trans now for over 70K and am just thinking of changing it. Time to do trans, transfer, and dif again they are past due. Not to sure on the Full syn thing with Mopar ATF +4 it may be, but I don't believe so if it is it's got to be one of the cheapest full syn trans fluids on the market. back when it was new and only available through Dodge I used to get it for 3.65 a quart. Now a days I suggest Valvoline for everything since getting to know the product it's amazing. There High mileage trans fluid is possibly the best trans fluid on the market.
Any licensed ATF+4 is full synthetic,Mobil 1 ATF is not the correct ATF for your trans and will cause issues,maybe already causing issues you just haven't noticed yet.

List of the only ATF's to use in your trans.........
Licensed ATF+4® Brands

installed e3 spark plugs. idol smoothed out some. unfortunately i cant say the plugs them self made a change as the plugs that were in were at the end of their life so i think any spark plug would have done the same thing
I would get those plugs out ASAP and get the cheap cooper core plugs put back in.Those snake oil plugs are known to cause misfire issues and take coils out since your ignition system is designed(by resistance) for copper core plugs.If you want to use platinum or iridium plugs you must increase the gap,0.065" for platinum and 0.080" for iridium, to increase the resistance so the system works right.You also will get a hotter spark from copper core plugs.