Fuel System Cleaning Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a few issues with loss of power, poor MPG lately and sometimes (not often) when I start it it will die right away. than I'll start it and it'll idle rough but stay started than if I shut it off and start it a third time It idles and starts just fine.

I was told it's possibly an injector issues in another thread I made. Some options where to try cleaning, Move from there to a compression test to see if any are leaking etc.

When it comes to cleaning would I just take it to a shop where they hook it to a machine and run the stuff through "Most call it a Fuel System Cleaning Service"? Calling around, that is about $70 or so. Or is that something else and just a gimmick? I've had that service offered to me back when I had my Mazda and would take it to get the oil changed instead of doing it myself but always declined.

Or am I better off just using one of those $5 fuel cleaners in a bottle and saving $65 with the same results? I've been told before those are just snake oil for the most part.

Wasn't sure if I could acheive the same thing with just dumping some Seafoam in the gas tank too or what.

I was going to do that tonight than take it home and clean the throttle body and Change the plugs. See if that helped with anything. Figured I'd get some other peoples opinions before forking out $70 for it. I currently have 100,235 miles the Jeep.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I had mine done at the dealership, at around the mileage you're at now... seemed like a good idea. In my case it was more of a preventative type thing though.

I had all the same concerns and decided she was worth the royal treatment.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Emissions service cleaning is a good idea, also to have the throttle body removed and all ports / sensors cleaned is also a great idea. I had mine done also by stealership.
Change your spark plugs every 25 k miles period. Clean the IAC on throttle body once a year. Change Air filter and keep the airbox clean & free from dirt (take it off & wash it out)
I run Chevron Techron concentrate 2 x bottles in a full tank once in a while on long hwy runs, and it keeps the injectors/valves clean. I also use non ethanol fuel in jeep as well which is 94 octane Chevron as it does not absorb moisture. Keep the tank full too.
Link to Techron Concentrate: http://www.techron.com/techron-concentrate-plus/
Avail at Wallmart & Chevron gas stations.