fuel overflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, on the Durangos it seems this was an issue on 2005's, and they are replacing the fuel tanks under the Powertrain warranty (link above)...

I have that warranty up till 80k, I'll have to ask the dealer on Monday when I get an oil change.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had this happen to me yesterday with my '02 Sport, never had it happen before though.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06 KJ here and have had this now happen to me for the past 2 fill-ups, but it never really happened before, only once I can recall in 2 years. I am wondering if it has something to do with temp since it's been 30's and below for the last 2 weeks. I am going to try and anticipate the overflow next time before it happens. Anybody found a fix for this?

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 Rocky Mountain Edition and I had this problem the first couple of times I filled up I then learned that if I do not put the pump nozzle even half way in the filler neck it will not overflow.

But If I insert the nozzle half way in or further it overflows every time.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by this. I fill my tank unattended. I flick the little metal lock thingy on the pump handle, walk away. I've never had a drop of overflow. Are people topping off their tanks here?

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by this. I fill my tank unattended. I flick the little metal lock thingy on the pump handle, walk away. I've never had a drop of overflow. Are people topping off their tanks here?

Not topping off here the trouble I have had is that the pump does not cut off until it has started to overflow I never top off when it cuts off I am done.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are people topping off their tanks here?

My question is, are you reading here? Try reading the posts first. People have stated very plainly they are NOT topping off when this happens.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I got my oil changed at the dealer, and asked them about this. They said they have had some other liberties with the same issue, but didn't offer any kind of fix. They basically said to try and slow the gas pump down when its near full, which is ********.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha another fine example of how helpful the dealerships are. Man, you just can't rely on them for anything...

I guess I'll have to try slowing the pump down towards the end to see if that helps or maybe try not inserting the nozzle into the filler neck as far.

Boiler

Reaction score
I bought an 05 Renegade in january. I've filled it up 5 or 6 times so far, and overflowed on me EVERY time. After the first time I started trying to figure it out, fast autopumping, slow autopumping, really cramming it down into the hole, listening for special sounds, nada!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I always go to a self serve gas station and the pump's here cannot be locked on (Like a full service station) when filling, you have to manually hold in the fill lever. I insert the spout all the way in and only depress the lever half way. Yes it takes a little longer to fill up, but when the pump clicks off there is no over flow.
If by chance I'm here in town (All gas stations are full service here. Local by-law) I ask the pump attendant to only lock the fill lever half way on so that it will not over flow.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As weird as it is, I've even used the lowest auto-setting (low, med, high), and I still get overflow. I believe this officially now happens to me each time I fill up and I'm really getting pi**ed about it.

The gas can't be good on the paint, and I ALWAYS smell like gas after I clean it up.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 07 started this about 2 months ago, spratically at first, and since last month it happens all the time. once i filled it up until it clicked off, pulled out the nozzle and a few seconds later as i was putting the nozzle away it just gushed out. its usually about a cups worth of gas. ive never topped off once, it clicks off that it... very annoying. now i know to leave the nozzle in until it happens.

hota_e

Reaction score
I've got an 06 sport and this happens 80% of the time when I fill up. Even when the full service stations fill up the tank there is overflow on occassion. And the gas attendant is usually drenched in gasoline, cursing. I think it is the nozzle design of the pump that may not allow the nozzle to get deep enough into the gas tank opening to allow the pumps auto shut off to properly work. Now when I fill up I just listen for the fuel getting closer the opening.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recorded it happening on my phone, ill see if i can get the vid up later. my friends seem to think its funny. i paid for that gas!

draganjr

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my wife's 07. I got an extended warranty for it and taking it in next week.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've only got gas on the KJ twice....both were from me pulling the nozzle too soon....

Other than that, no issues. And I always pull the lever all the way to pump fast...

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a mystery why some KJs do it and some don't. I've learned on our '06 that it seems to happen at some gas stations and not at others.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a mystery why some KJs do it and some don't. I've learned on our '06 that it seems to happen at some gas stations and not at others.

Finally somebody has mentioned the fact that "it seems to happen at some gas stations and not at others" That's what I think most of the problem is.

I have an 04 Liberty Sport and it's only happened a couple of times on me, quite embarrassing :eek: Where we live there are few full serve gas bars and the self serve gas bars have removed the "catch" on the handle. I was using the gas cap to keep the pump running :eek: