Fuel Leaking at filter head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lea Ann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone with CRD's need to keep an eye out on this plug for leaking fuel and if you have fuel leaking, report it to the NHTSA. Mine has 55k miles and it started to die on me with air in the fuel line and this leak was found with fuel running down into the computer. The NHTSA has someone investigating and hopefully will soon post a recall.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's a faulty fuel filter head? Why not just change it out? You putting any Bio-Diesel additives in with your typical diesel fill up?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Her sig says it's for sale. I think she is upset with the CRD.

But if enough of them are reported, there might be a free fix at the dealer. In the meantime if anyone has this repair done keep your receips as you might be able to get a reimbursement later on if there is a recall.

Dave

Lea Ann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, I am not upset with my CRD, I am just upset with all the problems it has had since day one. The fuel filter head itself is not faulty, it is the "seperator" that has 2 plugs in it, one for the fuel temp sensor and one is the fuel heater. The diesel is leaking from the heater plug. It has died on me twice this week because of air in the line and my husband ( used to be a mechanic) traced the leak to there. We are not going to replace with the same exact part that will probably leak again we are just going to come up with a fix for this one. The man at the NHTSA said that it will probably become under investigation further pretty soon and hopefully become a recall since it is such a fire hazard.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lea Ann has had more than her share of trouble with her CRD, many perhaps dealer created.

This is a real problem and a real safety issue. It leaks around the connections and pulls air into the fuel system. It also shorts out and kills the heater. At least one CRD owner with the failure has also had the $3k pump fail and this issue might have been related.

If you have a CRD watch the connector and if it leaks report it so Jeep is forced to redesign it.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i reaplaced mine myself cuz i didnt have time to fart w/ the dealer 175.00 from mopar. However, my wonderful dealer waranteed it anyways and refunded me the money, yay! Performance Dodge/Jeep Glendale AZ kudos to them!

I got tired of bleeding the fuel of air every morning =D

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And Cowcatcher was very helpful in making sure i didnt screw anything up, along w/ a few other helpful people =D

Canucks-CRD

Reaction score
Filter head leak

My '06 is going in for the problem. There is an upgraded part replacement.