Fuel Filler Neck Strainer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the past 6 years, several times when on a trip, or even from a local station on occasion, I've ended up getting a considerable amount of trash pumped into the fuel tank and caught in the filters.

Two years ago when passing thru northern Florida, just a 5 gallon top-off at a station alongside I-10, caused me two hours later to be pulled over at a rest area swapping out fuel filters - the clear water/sediment bowl on the bottom of the primary filter has still-intact whole bugs, gnats, and mosquitoes, sucked up from inside the tank and pumped all the way to the primary filter.

Just a month or so ago, someone in the local tanker fleet apparently wasn't too careful about cleaning out their tanks, and many diesel owners ended up getting what looked like wet tobacco or wet rotted leaves/mulch pumped into their fuel tanks, myself included. One friend had to drop the tank on his service truck and have it cleaned out. I got a bad enough dose in my CRD that it wouldn't start on one occasion and I had to disconnect the fuel lines inside the engine compartment and blow them out back to the tank with compressed air to clear the clog. When I flipped on my lift pump to reprime the lines into a gallon jug, I got big clumps of the same material being flushed thru. I can tell there's still a good amount in the tank, because I start losing pressure from the lift pump when it gets down to around 1/3 to 1/4 tank.

Plus, there's no in-tank strainer on the CRD - whatever gets sucked up into the fuel line in the tank will travel all the way to the filters in the engine bay.

The metal part of the fuel filler neck is approx 1 3/4" ID for about 4 or 5 inches, then necks down to approx 3/4" for another 4 to 6 inches before it hooks into the fuel filler hose.

My idea is to dremel out the fuel nozzle restriction and remove the metal flap as well - such that you've got essentially a open piece of 1 3/4" tube - and then stick a piece of wire mesh or other type of strainer material down inside this large part of the filler tube, to catch all the bugs and large crap that might come out of the service station pump.

You could vacuum it out in place or pull it out for cleaning as needed, and keep all that crap from going inside your fuel tank - and avoid the hassle of having to drop the entire fuel tank for cleaning.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know how that goes for you, not for the crap-in-the-fuel issue, because I've never know that to happen over here, but because it's a right sod to fill the tank because of those restrictions. I was told by the dealer that there's no way around it. What diameter is the fuel filler hose?

flman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I buy fuel, they have a large filter on the pump where the hose attaches. I guess my only worry is water, but I assume they are draining the petcocks on these filters?

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, rather obviously in my case, not all stations have filters on their pumping setups.

One friend in Charlotte NC actually ended up getting chunks of rubber, apparently from a bad seal on the station's pump, into his tank - large enough that they bound up and burnt out his centrifugal lift pump. I've the same type pump, and it would take something solid on the order of the size of pea gravel to give that pump problems.

The fuel filler hose, that runs from the metal filler pipe to the tank, looks to be about 3/4" ID - roughly the same size as a piece of large diameter heater hose.

From what I've seen of DaimlerChrysler from those years, it wouldn't surprise me to find out it IS nothing more than a piece of heater hose.:shrug:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, rather obviously in my case, not all stations have filters on their pumping setups.

One friend in Charlotte NC actually ended up getting chunks of rubber, apparently from a bad seal on the station's pump, into his tank - large enough that they bound up and burnt out his centrifugal lift pump. I've the same type pump, and it would take something solid on the order of the size of pea gravel to give that pump problems.

The fuel filler hose, that runs from the metal filler pipe to the tank, looks to be about 3/4" ID - roughly the same size as a piece of large diameter heater hose.

From what I've seen of DaimlerChrysler from those years, it wouldn't surprise me to find out it IS nothing more than a piece of heater hose.:shrug:

It sounds like an excellent idea to put a filter in at the filler! I have not had any problems yet but all it takes is one fill up at at a stop in some backwoods area and you could be left stranded in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.
The mesh would have to have a large surface area so as to not impede the flow of fuel when filling up but I think it is worth looking into!

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Generac Generator has a mesh bucket strainer.
You must be registered for see images attach

The mesh looks very fine and for our application 80 or 100 mesh should be fine enough so it does not mess up lift pumps. Any debris that passes through the lift pump and line should be stopped by the fuel filter. If we go to a mesh that is too fine, it will take a long time to fill up. One nice thing about having a bucket type strainer in the filler neck is that any debris would be spotted at fill up and most of us would only put up with it so we could put in enough fuel make it to the next station to fill up the rest of the way.

flman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once heard about a local guy that would carry a glass jar with him for a sample of the fuel, after he had an expensive repair on one of his trucks due to water in the fuel. If the sample had water, he would go elsewhere. The good thing where I buy my fuel, they have a fleet of trucks, so that gives my more confidence that their fuel will be clean and dry.

BTW, they are always running out to my wife telling her to STOP! That is Diesel Fuel! Then she has to go through the entire explanation, that it is a diesel. :yawn:

Last edited:

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Generac Generator has a mesh bucket strainer.
You must be registered for see images attach

The mesh looks very fine and for our application 80 or 100 mesh should be fine enough so it does not mess up lift pumps. Any debris that passes through the lift pump and line should be stopped by the fuel filter. If we go to a mesh that is too fine, it will take a long time to fill up. One nice thing about having a bucket type strainer in the filler neck is that any debris would be spotted at fill up and most of us would only put up with it so we could put in enough fuel make it to the next station to fill up the rest of the way.

By chance, could you do some measurements on that strainer, especially in reagrds to the diameter? If it's smaller than about 1 3/4' OD at the biggest part, and larger than 3/4", that would sit down inside the large part of the metal fuel filler neck, on the shoulder where it necks down to 3/4", and be just about perfect if it can handle the fuel flow.

flman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the fuel I get, notice the nice filter in line, and Warps favorite brand, Citgo :Big Laugh:

Attachments

• 0522111136a.jpg
    0522111136a.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 6