Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

So, the cost of fuel is up to where it was back in 2019 and maybe then some. The Covid gas price crash couldn't last forever could it? I'm paying $1.90CDN/L ($5.71USD/Gal) right now in Vancouver BC. It's pretty painful! I've been averaging 15L/100km (15.7mpg) over the last year. That is driving in HEAVY congested city traffic with very minimal freeway driving (Vancouver has the least freeway miles of any major city in North America) as well as a bit of fire service road and trail driving. A few months ago I put in new Denso coil packs, new Bosch injectors, and new NGK copper plugs. No improvement in fuel economy. Air filter doesn't seem to be too dirty, but I will be replacing it later this week. Alignment is good. Tire size is 1/2" taller than stock and my tire pressures are 33psi (cold) all around. Four speed auto. I've extensively researched hyper miling techniques over the years and I can normally beat the EPA numbers, but I can't seem to manage it with ol' Louis (the Liberty). Should I go full Grandma driver and start leaving the house earlier to get places? I don't drive aggressively now. I just keep up with traffic like anyone else- pretty middle of the road.

What are you guys seeing for fuel mileage? My best over the last year has been 12.3L/100km (19mpg) and my worst has been 18.7L/100km (12.7mpg, which is what the 392 Wrangler Rubicon averages!).

tcummings

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

So, the cost of fuel is up to where it was back in 2019 and maybe then some. The Covid gas price crash couldn't last forever could it? I'm paying $1.90CDN/L ($5.71USD/Gal) right now in Vancouver BC. It's pretty painful! I've been averaging 15L/100km (15.7mpg) over the last year. That is driving in HEAVY congested city traffic with very minimal freeway driving (Vancouver has the least freeway miles of any major city in North America) as well as a bit of fire service road and trail driving. A few months ago I put in new Denso coil packs, new Bosch injectors, and new NGK copper plugs. No improvement in fuel economy. Air filter doesn't seem to be too dirty, but I will be replacing it later this week. Alignment is good. Tire size is 1/2" taller than stock and my tire pressures are 33psi (cold) all around. Four speed auto. I've extensively researched hyper miling techniques over the years and I can normally beat the EPA numbers, but I can't seem to manage it with ol' Louis (the Liberty). Should I go full Grandma driver and start leaving the house earlier to get places? I don't drive aggressively now. I just keep up with traffic like anyone else- pretty middle of the road.

What are you guys seeing for fuel mileage? My best over the last year has been 12.3L/100km (19mpg) and my worst has been 18.7L/100km (12.7mpg, which is what the 392 Wrangler Rubicon averages!).
I have a 2007, and just checked mpg when I filled up for 56$ today... 18.2
50/50 city/highway.
I put new plugs/oil change and have my stock sized tires rated for(50) at 40 psi.

Your probably not seeing any codes, but what about O2 sensors?
I just put cruise in mine to help highway, but not sure that was worth the cost.

Tim.LSR

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

2008 Liberty with 275,000 km on it and 40,000 of that is ours. Calgary city fuel economy averages around 14.5 l/100km with the best highway being around 12.5. These are numbers I tracked with the MyCars app, onboard computer is about 0.9 l/100km more optimistic.
Driving reasonably slow is your best technique to deal with wind versus the brick that is the Liberty. The V6 is simply not efficient by today's standards so there is little magic you can do there.
We will be putting around $3400 in gas over a year based upon our annual 12,000 km mileage and gas as high as $2/litre. Even if we cut that in half with a vehicle that achieved 7.0 l/100km, it would be difficult to find a reliable used vehicle that would justify saving $1600/year. The Liberty is in good shape, reliable, and will not need any major maintenance for 2-3 years.

So what do you prefer?
$140 x 2 fills = $280/month in gas only for the Liberty (assuming it is paid for and in good mechanical condition)
$70 x 2 fills plus $300 = $440/month in gas and payment for a replacement 7.0 l/100km vehicle (costing $12-14k in today's markets)
We are sticking with the $280/month and tell ourselves we are saving $160/month each time we will up.
Hope that helps,
Tim

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Vancouver gas prices are the highest in the country.
I gave up checking fuel mileage. Loaded with gear etc, may get 15 mpg hwy/ 10 city?
Remove as much weight as possible around town. Consider adding 2 psi more each tire?
Re-gearing could add 3-4 mpg more?

Attachments

• Gas Guzzler Brick House.jpg
    Gas Guzzler Brick House.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 6

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a live data-reading obd2 scan tool and see what the short and long term fuel trims look like.

read6737

Reaction score
What would one recommend to do to cut consumption in a 2.8 CRD 05

other than not drive it LOL

Latest posts

Members online