FRS & GRMS handhelds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gf, myself and another couple will be heading to Disneyworld (Florida) and like all good tourists, we were thinking of getting a pair of the FRS/GRMS radios so we could get in touch with each other if we decided we wanted to go do different things around the parks.
So I went out and got a set of the latest Cobra FRS/GRMS units I could find. Here's the 3100's we actually got 3150's which are virtually identical (3150's come with a NiMHbattery pack and a desktop charging stand). I recognized Cobra and Motorola as some of the best, I just liked the look of the Cobra units so I picked them.
I got home, charged them up (well for 2 hours anyways.. I was anxious) and with the gf at home in "talk" mode (let an mp3 play on repeat), a friend and I drove away to see what kind of distance we could get. Basically as soon as I turned off my street and put a house between us and the other unit, that was it, no signal (approx 1/4 mile away). We drove back past my house and to the other end of the street. Again as soon as we rounded the corner the signal dropped (about the same distance again). We were aware of the few overhead wires and thought this must be the culprit so we went to the friends house (no overhead wires). Again as soon as there was no line of sight, the signal quickly dropped. Keep in mind that when I say the signal dropped that was when the signal was gone and there was no longer any noise from our in car unit. What this means in usability terms is at approximately half that distance we could no longer understand the words of the song.
I did some reading on the net just now and found out that you will not get over 1/2 mile range out of ANY these FRS/GRMS units except in an open unobstructed area (open field or over water) and likely you can still see the other person. Even then, don't expect more than a 1 mile range and still be able to understand the conversation, there's usually too much static and distortion at that range.
I must admit that I for one got taken by the bold claims of 8 mile range, and it's too bad too, I was really looking forward to using these. And I really wasn't expecting to get an 8 mile range anyways, I was really only hoping for a 1-2 mile range, guess not. So I guess we'll do exactly like we did last time and just rely on the cell phones... last time a single 30 sec. call to the other couple cost me over 3 bucks on each phone bill (roaming charges suck)!

Needless to say the FRS/GRMS units are going back tomorrow and that'll be $140 back in my pocket. I find it very disconcerting that in today's marketplace that scams of this nature still exist, I'm just glad I had enough sense to buy the pair of FRS/GRMS units from a major retailer that likely won't give me any hassle returning them.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Man, you should have posted here. I've had 3 pairs of FRS radios. 2 Cobras, 2 Audiovoxes, and 2 of some other brand. I got the best reception out of the Cobras, BUT they were only 2 channel. The Audiovoxes were definitely the biggest, but had the best volume, and were 14 channel. I liked these the most. They're around here somewhere...

The other ones, I got from Sam's Club. They could have been defective. Absolutely horrible recepton and battery life. I'd suggest buying a new set, because, I get about almost mile out of the FRS radios (NOT GMRS)... in the city. Overhead power lines, houses, concrete, the works.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems with FRS/GMRS radios isn't the radio itself but the antenna - most of the antennas on these radios are little more than a wire-wound resistor. Unfortunately the FCC in its wisdom has decreed that FRS radios may not have removable antennas so you are stuck with what the manufacturer gives you. I always tell anyone who asks me that they would be better off getting their amatuer radio license. True you have to study for it, but it is the best bang for your radio buck. A good 2-meter radio can get at least as far as FRS/GMRS, plus you have the benefit of repeaters which will greatly increase your distance. With my 2-meter handheld putting out 5 watts I can work a repeater over 30 miles away from inside my apartment, and that is with the standard antenna. Anotehr advantage of VHF/UHF amatuer radio is the growing popularity of VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) stations. Using one of these with a 1-watt radio you can talk to someone literally on the other side of the world; I have talked to people in Australia, New Zealand and England with my handheld. Anyway, didn't mean to make this a plug for Ham Radio. Just my $.02 worth...

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
I'd suggest buying a new set, because, I get about almost mile out of the FRS radios (NOT GMRS)... in the city. Overhead power lines, houses, concrete, the works.

Nope, they're definitely going back. I bought a pair, and a friend bought a pair. Mine were for going to Disney and it looks like for that they'd be worthless. My friend bought his cuz one of his employees is always running around picking up stuff and dropping stuff off within 5 miles (max) of their business and he was looking at a way to possibly eliminate the cell phone (and they really didn't want to get into CB's or the likes)

Corwyyn... a 2 meter radio? I'm assuming that's antenna height? I don't think Disney would let me on the rides with that sticking out of my pocket!

Maybe I'll just buy some more toys for my new camera. I already got this so I'm lost as to what else to buy for it though. Maybe I'll get this .

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
call up your cell company and switch to a national plan :p Or get some big clunky portable CBs

I have cingular, 650 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, free mobile to mobile, no roaming charges ever, $40/month before taxes. I imagine most other carriers are similar with their national plans, so as long as you don't leave the states, calls are free.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
call up your cell company and switch to a national plan :p Or get some big clunky portable CBs

I have cingular, 650 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, free mobile to mobile, no roaming charges ever, $40/month before taxes. I imagine most other carriers are similar with their national plans, so as long as you don't leave the states, calls are free.

Heh.. I thought it obvious due to my sig but yeah, I guess I didn't state it outright. I AM CANADIAN! \:D/ Buying a cell plan from a US carrier probably isn't my smartest option. I've got the best plan I can get for roaming with my current provider. But it still works like this.

When in FL if I call anything (you all know this.. it's the OLD way!)
Caller pays: Calling phone --> Home area
Receiver pays: Home Area --> Receiving Phone

Since they're both my phones, I get both costs (each on their separate bill). Kinda sux!!!

The big clunky CB's comment made me laugh! Imagine carrying around a backpack sized battery just to power the thing. I think Disney with their metal-detectors that they have at the entrance would have a problem with that. Which just reminded me to leave my pocket-knife at home. I usually carry a Multi-tool swiss army knife cuz they're so handy but it'll be useless since I'm spending all my time at Disney. Basically I'll never be able to carry it. [-X

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heh.. I thought it obvious due to my sig but yeah, I guess I didn't state it outright. I AM CANADIAN! \:D/

whoops, I must have missed that! There I go perpetuating the stereotype of the self-centered american again!

I can't imagine many cell providers have a cheap international plan, either, and certainly no US phones have short contracts like they do in every other country. I guess the 1/4 mile range of the walkie-talkies isn't very helpful when you're in the metropolis that is Disney, huh?[/quote]

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
I guess the 1/4 mile range of the walkie-talkies isn't very helpful when you're in the metropolis that is Disney, huh?

Yeah, I was looking for about 2 miles of range. I thought that by picking the one rated for 8 miles my need of 2 miles would be easily handled... guess I was wrong. (Aeh) Oh well, I worked late today and didn't get them returned yet, but I played with them a bit more, this time with a fully charged battery. Seems they reach a bit further, made it about a 1/2 mile before the mp3 I was playing became nothing but static, so I kept going, and my end went totally silent (totally dropped signal) at around 3/4 mile. Still nowhere near what I'll accept.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
myself, my uncle, and a couple of our friends have VHF band radios...greater range than FRS, but also bigger and bulky...on road trips we use these, and they have about a 3 mile range....and in malls and stuff..it's far greater than frs...less interference too from others w/FRS....
we could be at one end of it..and the other end my friend....and still loud and clear.....(this was at woodbury commons outlet....biggest outlet mall in NE...not as big as disney or what not...but put it this way...we can contact one another a mile away from where u need to exit...)

downside, like I said, big and bulky, and the units can cost over 100 bux each....

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
hey 4factor..u bought all that stuff from B and H...?
i love going there....it's like my own lil candy store..i could walk in just to buy some film...and walk out with a lot more....(last time, i was just going to buy this
and ended up walking out with this too

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't give up on the cell phone idea when travelling to the US. I can't find the link right now ^%$#%$$#^%, but you can buy recycled cellphones with 30 minutes of prepaid service for about $30 each. After your vacation you sell 'em back and get $5.

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought a frs/gmrs set of handhelds tonight. 10-mile range only 40 bucks. I got around 3-4 miles max out of them on grms mode though.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
Corwyyn... a 2 meter radio? I'm assuming that's antenna height? I don't think Disney would let me on the rides with that sticking out of my pocket! .
Sorry for the late response, but for anyone who stumbles on this thread later on: 2 meters is the length of the radio wave at these frequencies (around 144-148MHz). The actual antenna is much shorter - a standard antenna for a 2meter handheld is about 8-12" long. One company makes a handheld thats about the size of a pack of cigarettes and has a folding antenna so you CAN put it in your pocket. Check out Ham Radio Outlet for info on radios, and search the internet for more info on Ham Radio.

Also for the record, I recently purchased a pair of FRS/GMRS radios so I can communicate with other folks I go wheeling or geocaching with who have them. The set I got are Unidens with NOAA weather band reception, $32.99 at my local WalMart.

EdgarNYU

Reaction score
fmrs

kegjeep, what brand radios were they?

corwynn, how did the unidens work out for you?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: fmrs

EdgarNYU said:
corwynn, how did the unidens work out for you?
Well, when I was moving back from Phoenix to Albuquerque I had a friend trailing me in my Jeep and at one point we decided to test the range, so he drove out in front of me and kept going until we lost contact; I estimate it was about 1 mile. Not too bad considering we were both in vehicles. Tried again last week, I went out for a drive around the south side of the airport and he was at work. With a slight elevation advantage I was able to hear him about two miles away. I have since added the first 14 channels of the FRS/GMRS to the UHF side of my amateur radio. Now I need to see how far I can get out with the 35 watts from that radio heh heh :-$