Front tow hook question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mopar ones made for the KJ don't require any mods to work... anything else, regardless of where it came from will require modifications to attach. I won't say there are any that wont work... it just comes down to how much effort you want to put into it.

If you're going to go through any real effort at all, and mod things.. you're probably better off doing the mod with trailer receivers flipped sideways to mount some D ring shackles.

Shackles/D-rings are much more secure and a better option than hooks any day.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either do what Jason said or get the OEM front hooks that come with the proper mounting hardware. Save yourself a crap load of extra work trying to put the wrong hooks on and possibly have an unsafe installation. The proper OEM installed hooks work right. I have been strapped out several times with no mishaps/drama.

The last thing you need is busted stuff or serious injuries or worse from improper equipment or procedures.

Dave

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn so mopar ones are the only ones that work without modifications

call up junk yards or message parts car owners on ebay ????

yet im sure someone makes a good aftermarket hook.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mopar ones made for the KJ don't require any mods to work... anything else, regardless of where it came from will require modifications to attach. I won't say there are any that wont work... it just comes down to how much effort you want to put into it.

If you're going to go through any real effort at all, and mod things.. you're probably better off doing the mod with trailer receivers flipped sideways to mount some D ring shackles.

Shackles/D-rings are much more secure and a better option than hooks any day.

I agree with this. If you wan to count on using the tow points you should go with this route. Here are a couple of pics of how mine ended up looking.

jharrisliberty-albums-pics-picture6199-reinstalled.jpg

jharrisliberty-albums-pics-picture6052-spare-tire-roof-rack.jpg

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. If you wan to count on using the tow points you should go with this route. Here are a couple of pics of how mine ended up looking.

jharrisliberty-albums-pics-picture6199-reinstalled.jpg

jharrisliberty-albums-pics-picture6052-spare-tire-roof-rack.jpg

NICE are they home made? :sawzall:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NICE are they home made? :sawzall:

You literally bolt the hitch receivers on sideways and then attach the shackles.

It looks like jharris did it a wee bit differently than I've seen recommended before; what I've seen before was welding the receivers onto MOPAR tow hook brackets... then attaching the brackets to the vehicle in the normal spot.

@jarrisliberty, did you just put two giant **** grade 8/10 bolts through the side of the receiver and through the holes in the front frame rails? If so, I imagine you'd have to have drilled out the frame rail holes a bit, and perhaps used a top plate to shore up the strength.

Either which way, those are about 5 times better than hooks.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are homemade. The cross bracing was added later at the suggestion of tommudd.

The original holes only had to be drilled out slightly. And all that was done to the hitches was an added hole behind the one that you would use to secure it in a hitch. They are grade 8 bolts for sure. And no top plate was used. I did use grade 8 flange nuts as well.

Here are a few more pics. These do go into the stock tow hook holes with only a little bit of widening to the stock holes.

jharrisliberty-albums-pics-picture6198-all-painted-ready-go-back.jpg

jharrisliberty-albums-pics-picture5939-front-tow-points-without-bumper.jpg

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are homemade. The cross bracing was added later at the suggestion of tommudd.

The original holes only had to be drilled out slightly. And all that was done to the hitches was an added hole behind the one that you would use to secure it in a hitch. They are grade 8 bolts for sure. And no top plate was used. I did use grade 8 flange nuts as well.

Here are a few more pics. These do go into the stock tow hook holes with only a little bit of widening to the stock holes.

jharrisliberty-albums-pics-picture6198-all-painted-ready-go-back.jpg

jharrisliberty-albums-pics-picture5939-front-tow-points-without-bumper.jpg

And a little bit of trimming under/behind the bumper cover it looks like. Nicely done. Solid.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they almost come out of the factory tow hook holes depending on what drop you use for the hitches. Very solid. In fact I might even be selling mine once I get my detour.

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they almost come out of the factory tow hook holes depending on what drop you use for the hitches. Very solid. In fact I might even be selling mine once I get my detour.

What size drop are those? Looks good! Been searching for options since Mine didn't come with tow hooks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size drop are those? Looks good! Been searching for options since Mine didn't come with tow hooks

They look like 3" drop receivers..... jharris confirm?

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look like 3" drop receivers..... jharris confirm?

Yeah I think they are either 3" or 4". I would have to measure to be certain, but I have seen it done with about any drop you want. If you want to know exactly I can measure them after work or possibly around lunch if you want the exact size I used.

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think they are either 3" or 4". I would have to measure to be certain, but I have seen it done with about any drop you want. If you want to know exactly I can measure them after work or possibly around lunch if you want the exact size I used.

The rough estimate is good enough I'll hop under mine and see if that would allow them to come out the tow hook holes

Thanks!

OxLibertySport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
call up junk yards or message parts car owners on ebay ????

yet im sure someone makes a good aftermarket hook.

I have an extra set of factory tow hooks that I won't be using on my project ... one of the brackets is tweaked a bit and will have to be bent back in shape to fit the bumper just right. I'll likely give the set away (pay shipping) when I near the end of my re-build.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.