Front Suspension Travel (Compression)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRK

Reaction score
After doing much reading on here and over at LOST I decided to install OME 927/948 per most members suggestions. Got the lift installed Saturday and immediately loved the look of the jeep! However the ride left a little to be desired. I don't mind a rough riding (mild) but I noticed I had absolutely no up travel (compression) in the front suspension. In other words I could put the jack under the front a-arm and it would lift te jeep into the air without compressing. Is this normal? I figure it is a result of the higher spring rate (400 vs 310 lbs/in) and the 1.5" longer spring that must be compressed to fit in the strut ....

I am lost right now because I was hoping to get a little higher for new tires but did not want to lose my handling when hitting potholes and such in the road.

Can anyone help?

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
give it soem time those springs will soften up. after a few months of driving mine i wish id put on the CRD springs.

JRK

Reaction score
Yes - I have a stock bumper (no winch) with the HD springs.

That's what I was hoping to hear about the springs softening up but I was having my doubts since there is hardly any give to them now.

If anyone else has any experience with this combo please comment with your observations.

Thanks

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same setup. Did you get an alignment yet? It will feel much smoother after the alignment. I suggest beating on it a little to limber it up a bit. Everything is at a different angle now and isn't used to being there. It needs broke in. go somewhere secluded and do some hard stops. You'll see the front go down after awhile. pump the brakes and make the front bounce a little. Also do some hard accelerating to limber up the rear. It all helps. After that, if you know of any big dips anywhere take it over it a few times. Go over some train tracks at full speed where everyone else slows down. Just some ideas.
I think mine is great. If I ever put anything on the front I'm gonna get the CRD springs. I don't think I'll ever get to that though. The 927s are perfect in my opinion. Let us know how the beating goes...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Run it for a while and they will be fine,
Take it out somewhere that you can twist it up good on all 4 corners, that will help as well. And as mentioned alignment right away.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember no matter what anyone says
or how many people say they run the HD springs
with no winch or bumper and they ride fine
or they tell you that it is ok to do this they are also
claiming to know more than the people who make the springs

If I am wrong then why does OME even make
light and med. duty springs?

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I don't get a whole lot of travel in my front end either. 2" down and 1" up is about all I get out of the front of mine. I've never even needed the teraflex bumpstops... maybe if I remove the sway bar...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just remember no matter what anyone says
or how many people say they run the HD springs
with no winch or bumper and they ride fine
or they tell you that it is ok to do this they are also
claiming to know more than the people who make the springs

If I am wrong then why does OME even make
light and med. duty springs?

Because some people only want stock rated springs, easy answer:yawn:
Light duty OMEs are rated at 350, stock OEM 310-320
Some use their rigs to haul more than groceries so they need and more importantly want heavier springs. Some just like to be different and run the medium OMEs and then tell everyone else they are stupid for using anything else :shrug::Bye:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't get a whole lot of travel in my front end either. 2" down and 1" up is about all I get out of the front of mine. I've never even needed the teraflex bumpstops... maybe if I remove the sway bar...

Never hit them?
I have several times, maybe you need to flex it out more(biggrin):laughing1:

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Never hit them?
I have several times, maybe you need to flex it out more(biggrin):laughing1:

I like to think I wheel more then alot of people on this forum. I wheel mostly every weekend, rain or shine, and have gotten into situations where the front should have been stuffed more. I have the JBA coilover lift at 22.5 but even stock or Rock Krawler lift I never did in my KK.

What's a good way to stuff the front so I can give it another try with camera in hand so I can judge how close I come?

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dirty, if you have access to one a forklift will work. I plan on putting mine on the forklift at work just to see how stuffed it gets with the 927/948.

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I found a picture of E2's (on LOST) KK with JBA lift on it and would assume in this pic the tire should be stuffing better dont you think? I mean his rear is hangin off the ground and front left is on the edge...

Does anybody have measurements of they're suspension fully drooped and fully compressed from center of wheel to bottom of fender flare? or can get some?

My KK sits at 22.5, droops at 24.5 and stuffs at 21.5

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope you dont mind I used your pic Ed!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because some people only want stock rated springs, easy answer:yawn:
Light duty OMEs are rated at 350, stock OEM 310-320
Some use their rigs to haul more than groceries so they need and more importantly want heavier springs. Some just like to be different and run the medium OMEs and then tell everyone else they are stupid for using anything else :shrug::Bye:

I see your referernce and raise you with a
I installed the springs that were proper for
my rig at the time or what I intended for it
to have within the next 6 moths
I added a skid that weighed in at close to
50# and was working out a new front skid
to get rid of the OE "shovel" that would have
added about another 50# to the front
which was very close to the weight of an ARB bumper which the springs were designed for
At the same time I was also thinking about something close to the "trail bones" that Currie made for the wranglers to go on the rear which would have added more weight to
the rear thus needing heavier springs

But instead we started on our family
so the ball was droped

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I found a picture of E2's (on LOST) KK with JBA lift on it and would assume in this pic the tire should be stuffing better dont you think? I mean his rear is hangin off the ground and front left is on the edge...

Does anybody have measurements of they're suspension fully drooped and fully compressed from center of wheel to bottom of fender flare? or can get some?

My KK sits at 22.5, droops at 24.5 and stuffs at 21.5

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope you dont mind I used your pic Ed!

What many do not take into consideration is when you are actually off roading on a trail. Parked like the above picture shows you nothing really. Get out on a trail and be in the above position and then drop a foot or more off of a rock, then it will compress the springs more and will hit. Poser shots are just that and provide no real way of seeing what will or will not hit.
To quote JLRockies...just sayin'

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What many do not take into consideration is when you are actually off roading on a trail. Parked like the above picture shows you nothing really. Get out on a trail and be in the above position and then drop a foot or more off of a rock, then it will compress the springs more and will hit. Poser shots are just that and provide no real way of seeing what will or will not hit.
To quote JLRockies...just sayin'

While that is true, I think it's a good thing to see what the "posier" looks like so you know if you have room in the well when the hard hit happens.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have the factory engine skid ($25 on craigslist woot) from an 03 but I'm happy with the hd springs now that they have settled.

I'll report back after I pay my registration and build up the jeep mod fund and make the rest of the skids out of 3/16"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
While that is true, I think it's a good thing to see what the "posier" looks like so you know if you have room in the well when the hard hit happens.

I agree but many think if they "pose" like above that that is as far as the suspension will go, they never consider the force that can happen when you drop off a rock for example.