Front Suspension Replacement - Learning Experience!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crajos

Reaction score
I thought I would share my 2 cents on replacing the front suspension on my 2004 KJ, for those who have never done it before and look to tackle the project. I'm a noob when it comes to suspension work, but I got A LOT figured out while doing this project, and hopefully I can help somebody out there.

I wasn't doing a lift, just replacing the very very worn suspension with some Monroe QuickStruts. They came with their own set of installation instructions. I also have the official repair manual, with a different set of installation instructions. And, of course we have the Internet for additional reference...

Here's the quick way to do it, that I was able to do without much issue at all, after doing it the hard way on one side.

REMOVAL:
- Remove the air box, and move the cruise control module if you have one.
- Remove the battery, unplug (2 nuts) and un-mount your fuse box, and EVAP canister so they're out of the way. Then remove your battery tray (there are 3 nuts). Unplug the sensor on the bottom of the tray, and then set aside.
- Loosen, but do not remove the top mounting nuts for the suspension, 4 on each side.
- Get her up on jack stands and take the front tires off.
- Remove the bottom clevis nut and bolt.
- Remove the top clevis bolt.
- Do some maneuvering and get the clevis out.
- Remove the top mounting nuts for the shock/coil assembly, and remove.

INSTALLATION:
- Slip the shock/coil assembly in, and get the nuts on top started, but keep them loose. Let it hang.
- Put the clevis back in. This is the tricky part, but not too bad. You need to push and tap on things a little to get the clevis on to the bottom of the shock. There is a 'key' that fits in the slot on the clevis, pay attention to that. Once you have it back on, tap on the bottom of the clevis until it's full seated on the shock. There's a little stop on the shock so you know where the clevis should seat. Once you get there, install the top clevis bolt, but do not tighten.
- Install the bottom clevis bolt and nut. *See note below*
- Torque the 4 top nuts to spec (80 ft/lb)
- Torque the bottom clevis bolt / nut to spec (110 ft/lb)
- Torque the top clevis bolt to spec. (100 ft/lb)
- Do the other side, reassemble engine compartment, Done.

The above torque specs are what the Monroe instructions specified. Below is a link to torque specs for the KJ. And if you have it, double check with the repair manual.

Jeep Liberty/Torque Specs & Socket Sizes - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Now...here's all the steps I've deemed unnecessary. At first I started with the repair manual's removal procedures, as I figured they would be the "official and correct" instructions. This has you pulling out the bolt for the sway bar/stabilizer, separating the lower ball joint from the lower control arm, and pulling out the shock/coil with the clevis as one assembly. I couldn't get my lower ball joint to separate, so I looked at Monroe's instructions...should've followed theirs to start with.

*Lower Clevis Bolt Note*
The above instructions are Monroe's...except, they also have you break free the upper ball joint to allow easier access. I found that was not necessary. I started on my driver's side, and after putting my sway bar linkage and lower ball joint back together, I did break free my upper ball joint, and it was a PITA putting the nut back on it, because it kept wanting to turn with the nut. I also had a VERY difficult time getting the lower clevis to line up with the lower control arm hole. I read you're supposed to use ratchet straps to pull the clevis into place, but I didn't have any of those. I used a huge pry bar, and then jammed a screwdriver through the clevis to pull it into place while I ran the bolt through. I ended up tearing the grease boot on my lower ball joint in the process (while prying). So that's another project in a week or so.

I did exactly the above steps on my passenger side, and it took significantly less time to swap the suspension. I was at the other side for about 4 hours. My biggest challenges were figuring it out for the first time, and not having exactly the wrench or socket for certain nuts and bolts. But it worked out. I managed not to strip or break any bolts or nuts, and everything torqued up just fine.

I'd recommend 1/2" drive ratchets and sockets for this job. A breaker bar is almost mandatory. PB Blaster everything a couple days before you do the job. It helps. You'll also need 18mm, 19mm, and 21mm sockets, standard and deep.

Thanks for reading! I'd be happy to hear any tips the pros have. Cause if I screwed up, and something isn't going to work...let me know!

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suspension is a great starter project for KJ wrenching noobs. It's easy enough to tackle on your own, but challenging enough to build you confidence for bigger jobs.
Also, it really doesn't require any specialized tools and let's face it who wants to a lot of money on things that aren't used very often.
The other part is, that most of the KJs out there are running around on sacked suspension.

Don't forget your alignment....just don't go to Sears:hmm:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suspension is a great starter project for KJ wrenching noobs. It's easy enough to tackle on your own, but challenging enough to build you confidence for bigger jobs.
Also, it really doesn't require any specialized tools and let's face it who wants to a lot of money on things that aren't used very often.
The other part is, that most of the KJs out there are running around on sacked suspension.

Don't forget your alignment....just don't go to Sears:hmm:

Actually my sears had no issue with it. Though I got my initial at a mom and pop shop.

crajos

Reaction score
I actually bought a lifetime alignment last year when I picked up new tires for it. It was like $80, but not at Sears, and I can bring it back anytime for a free alignment. After I get the rear suspension done (which should be A LOT easier), it's going right in there. They told me last time they couldn't fully align it because I had some spring sag. Don't know if it's true, but I could tell by the way it handled that the suspension was shot.

Jo6pak, thank's for the confidence boost! I was expecting "OMG...you screwed it up soooo bad! Hope you don't die!"

On a side note...one of our local Sears stores just closed it's doors, as are many others. I'm not a big Sears or Craftsman fan anyway....

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suspension was my first big wrenching project on my KJ.

I did my rear first, while I was waiting for my coil overs to be assembled. It's a piece of cake.

I predict your next KJ project will be either front driveshaft, or radiator replacement.....seems to be the natural progression:whip:

I have little faith in the local Sears auto department. One the very few occasions that I have taken a vehicle there over the years, there is always something goofed up somehow.

As for tools, most of my tools are craftsman. Lots of guys don't like them, but I've had pretty good luck with them. My dad was a Craftsman guy all the way and I inherited some of his tools, and also his preference for them it seems

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2K2KJ

Reaction score
Great info. Made changing my struts out myself a little less painful. Ratchet strap a must.

Geof3

Reaction score
I blew the lower ball joint, which is how the service manual suggests, and seemed a good option with less things to take apart. Plus i was unsure if my lower control arm/clevis bushing was totally shot. (it wasn't thankfully) Most do the top, but it seems that usually goes along with an UCA swap. As most of the "how too's" here seem to discuss a lift oriented coil-over kit, I'm not sure your method would work for an OME or other longer coil-over. The Monroes are stock type and a good bit shorter. Overall, though, not too bad a deal with a decent set of tools.