Front Suspension Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Tim.....it's a garage floor.......not like it's your living room and it needs to be "housebroken" :D

Dave

yeah yeah I know...trust me, there are enough oil stains and various other grease stains on the garage floor...I think it's well broken in.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading through these posts I am at a loss
you guys think that shocks and struts should last over 36K
and even worse over 50 or 100K?
how? they are parts that move ,a lot, and have a valve that lets a certain amount of oil through
the oil after moving ,well goes bad, the valve wears out ect.
and nitros leak when the seals go bad
it is kinda like tires they wear out too
I mean hell I could probably get 75K out of a set of highway tires on the KJ if I wanted to but they would all be bald as a babies a$$ and serve no purpose besides holding the jeep up

Remember that while tires are the only thing on the Jeep that touches the road and the springs hold the weight if you slam on breaks with bad shocks then your tires will hop and your stopping distance will be greatly increased
ever see what happens to an 18 wheeler trailer when they slam on the breaks and the trailer wheels go to hopping and leave a dashed skid mark
I can tell you now that aint ABS

If your shocks and struts are bad or may be bad or if you have over 36K on your jeep and you just dont know have some one who does take a look
for the sake of your life and the people who ride in your Jeep
to me to try to save a few bucks on some thing that could cost me way more than money is just stupid

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After reading through these posts I am at a loss
you guys think that shocks and struts should last over 36K
and even worse over 50 or 100K?
how? they are parts that move ,a lot, and have a valve that lets a certain amount of oil through
the oil after moving ,well goes bad, the valve wears out ect.
and nitros leak when the seals go bad
it is kinda like tires they wear out too
I mean hell I could probably get 75K out of a set of highway tires on the KJ if I wanted to but they would all be bald as a babies a$$ and serve no purpose besides holding the jeep up

Remember that while tires are the only thing on the Jeep that touches the road and the springs hold the weight if you slam on breaks with bad shocks then your tires will hop and your stopping distance will be greatly increased
ever see what happens to an 18 wheeler trailer when they slam on the breaks and the trailer wheels go to hopping and leave a dashed skid mark
I can tell you now that aint ABS

If your shocks and struts are bad or may be bad or if you have over 36K on your jeep and you just dont know have some one who does take a look
for the sake of your life and the people who ride in your Jeep
to me to try to save a few bucks on some thing that could cost me way more than money is just stupid

You and I think way too much alike sometimes, I will just quit posting and let you say it all from now on LOL Keep up the good work HA HA HA!!!
Tom

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
If you are getting "creaking and moaning" going over bumps, you may want to check the sealed balljoints for being dry of grease. If they are dry, then it will creak and moan as the joint pivots in the housing.

I'm not sure if the grease needle works or not, but it couldn't hurt.:D

Just a thought