Front suspension loud over bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robfuse

Reaction score
I just installed a Rough Country 3 inch lift on my 2002 Liberty 4X4 which has the strut adapters. After completing the install the front suspension makes a loud knock-type noise when going over speed bumps? Everything is tight, not loose, front end alignment completed, etc. Any ideas why? My only guess is that the struts are weak? I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Rob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Worn out springs and shocks PLUS one of the very worst lifts out there.
First the springs on a 12 year old KJ are worn out and sagging, the shocks are the same, now combine that with a bad spacer style lift and every bump with be stacking the springs/ shocks allowing the suspension to wallow that much more.
Nothing you can do really except do a full spring lift with new springs and shocks .
Your suspension is weak, period, sorry to say but you just wasted money on that lift

robfuse

Reaction score
Thanks Tom! I appreciate the feedback! Like the saying goes, "you pay for what you get" right? I should of bought the Daystar lift but this is what they had here and shipping here costs a fortune! In your opinion, will replacing the coil-over struts solve the problem or is it just because of the design of the lift? The rear lift is coils and shocks, so no problems there. Thanks again for your input.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You have two problems to deal with
1) you need new springs and shocks
2) bad lift design
Even if you replaced the springs and shocks in front with stock OEM, then the design of the lift would cause issues with suspension wear ( springs/shocks/upper ball joints etc )
More expensive but best bet in the end is new OME or Ironman springs and shocks , last way longer, better over all ride and handling

robfuse

Reaction score
Well I ordered new strut/coil assembly set. Too late to undo it, I'll just drive it until I get my money's worth out of it until the suspension wears out then I'll junk the system. Thanks again for your advice and feedback.

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get it, Tom.

Why do they ask for help?...then order the wrong stuff anyway, before getting a reply? :bs:

I guess waiting 18 minutes between asking the question and getting an answer is too long for some.

At least they could wait for the reply before completely disregarding your solicited advice. It must get really old after a while...

"...You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

JeepinLove

Reaction score
Mine is making noise too! I just bought my Jeep Liberty and know next to nothing about cars, so how necessary is it for me to get it looked at and fixed? Every time I hit a speed bump, it sounds like someone jumped on a squeaky old bed. I'm in college and don't have a lot of spare change is why I'm asking.

-Mary

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is making noise too! I just bought my Jeep Liberty and know next to nothing about cars, so how necessary is it for me to get it looked at and fixed? Every time I hit a speed bump, it sounds like someone jumped on a squeaky old bed. I'm in college and don't have a lot of spare change is why I'm asking.

-Mary

Sway bar bushings is the cause on 97.1% of that noise. They get dirt and crud in them and cause strange noises when cold. Wash really well and good to go

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't get it, Tom.

Why do they ask for help?...then order the wrong stuff anyway, before getting a reply? :bs:

I guess waiting 18 minutes between asking the question and getting an answer is too long for some.

At least they could wait for the reply before completely disregarding your solicited advice. It must get really old after a while...

"...You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Its the part that makes it so much fun

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Fun?!...

You're a sick, sick individual tommudd. :shakehead:

Hey after 13 1/2 years on here, LOSTJEEPs and some others, over 32,000 posts on just LOST and here, yes I am a sick individual. But I'm like a psychiatrist, I just know the next one coming in the door is going to have a better story than the one that just left, so how can one leave and not know,....right ? Same thing on here you keep answering the same things over and over, 89.3% get it right off, but others .........................:sleepy::shakehead:
And that my friend is why its fun.................................:jester::jester:

frcop

Reaction score
Kj 2005

Hello, i lift up my "KJ" with rought contry 3", everything was well, just now the front suspension hits as shown in the following picture",
you know any solution that can help me please?, thanks.
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

robfuse

Reaction score
KJmurf, you misunderstood the thread. I bought and installed the kit before posting the thread and soliciting advice. That was the purpose of the thread/question. I'm trying to get advice of how to fix this without junking the kit for a complete different kit. I suspected the shocks were going bad because the left side bottomed out a few times on me from going over speed bumps before installing the kit, so I went ahead and ordered them. Now I am asking "before I order" if I should replace the upper control arms for ones made by Rocky Road Outfitters that are designed for lifted Libertys. The lower control arms with the eccentric bushings are adjusted for camber in to keep the spacer from contacting the sub-frame; however, I suspect the upper control arm is hitting the coil when the suspension flexes or the sway bar knocks the lower control arm.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
KJmurf, you misunderstood the thread. I bought and installed the kit before posting the thread and soliciting advice. That was the purpose of the thread/question. I'm trying to get advice of how to fix this without junking the kit for a complete different kit. I suspected the shocks were going bad because the left side bottomed out a few times on me from going over speed bumps before installing the kit, so I went ahead and ordered them. Now I am asking "before I order" if I should replace the upper control arms for ones made by Rocky Road Outfitters that are designed for lifted Libertys. The lower control arms with the eccentric bushings are adjusted for camber in to keep the spacer from contacting the sub-frame; however, I suspect the upper control arm is hitting the coil when the suspension flexes or the sway bar knocks the lower control arm.

RRO UCAs are bad =NO
If the sway bar hits LCAs, then installed wrong

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, i lift up my "KJ" with rought contry 3", everything was well, just now the front suspension hits as shown in the following picture",
you know any solution that can help me please?, thanks.
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Its the lift you are using

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I'm lovin' your decimal point accuracy in your percentages lately Rev :happy175:

89.3 ... 97.1

robfuse

Reaction score
Ok, I realize I did not do enough research before lifting, I jumped the gun and bought what was available here. Keep in mind I'm in a foreign country and shipping parcels costs more than the item purchased. Example. I bought rims to replace stock from Discount Tire and paid $500+ for all 4 but shipping cost $900+!!
So, here is the advice I seek:
What is the most inexpensive correction I can make to deal with this crappy lift design. The rear is fine, the front spacers suck. Trash the spacers and go with polyurethane ones and OME coil springs? What will stop the noise or lesson it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Trash the lift you have now
Hopefully you still have the stock parts ( you'll need the stock isolators , now get new OME springs and shocks and install,
for 2.25-2.5 inches of lift just install new springs and new shocks,
for 2.75-3.0 inches of lift install springs and 1/4 inch top plate ,
for 3.5 to 3.75 inches of lift install the above and 3/8 inch clevis
do not reuse the shocks as they are now done for

robfuse

Reaction score
Trash the lift you have now
Hopefully you still have the stock parts ( you'll need the stock isolators , now get new OME springs and shocks and install,
for 2.25-2.5 inches of lift just install new springs and new shocks,
for 2.75-3.0 inches of lift install springs and 1/4 inch top plate ,
for 3.5 to 3.75 inches of lift install the above and 3/8 inch clevis
do not reuse the shocks as they are now done for
Thanks Tom! I hate wasting money but going back to stock is not an option, so I will go the route you suggest. I still have the stock parts and currently using the stock shocks and coils spring isolators. I assume I can use the stock UCAs then?
Also, according to the items you mentioned, I assume to get 3" lift I would need the coil springs to give it 1.5", .5" clevis spacer and two 1/4 inch top plates (including new shocks). Sound accurate to you? Because according to the Jeepinbyal site, the 1/2 inch clevis spacer provides 1.00" of lift. So this plus a 1.5" coil lift gives me 2.5" lift, then 2 1/4" plates.
I just want to make sure the math is right or not because the 1/2" clevis spacer giving 1.00" of lift is throwing me off, so how much lift is the 1/4 top plate going to provide in addition to 1.5" lift coils?

Last edited: